GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 09:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Design Question for Bridle Gurus out there  (Read 1206 times)
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: November 08, 2009, 09:17 AM »

Hi,

I've attached a picture of the bridle connection point at the Center Tee for a Cosmic TC. For all those are are good with bridles, do you have any insight as to what effect this kind of center Tee connection have with regards to tricks/precision and anything related?

My Prism Ozone have a similar center Tee connection point as well, where both the inhauls are connected to a common bridle line before attaching to the center Tee. The length of this "extension" (Sorry don't know the proper technical term for this) is adjustable, by varying its length.

The Prism Ozone is good with flatspins, as with the Cosmic TC as well. Is this a close inference by any means, to assist flatspin related tricks? What do I gain and lose if I lengthen or shorten this common "extension" line?

Any good insights appreciated as I'm curious and am thinking of playing around with this adjustment to see what changes on the kite it does but would like to know if anybody have been there before me.

Thanks
Darryl

[attachment deleted by admin]

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 11:07 AM »

Its an easy way to get a bit of a cross activation in the bridle.

I doubt that that one little bridle tweak is what makes those kites flat spin so well.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 12:16 PM »

I've had a lot of '90s Prisms that were adjustable at the T. You don't see that on many kites these days. The main thing it does is change angle of attack, like raising your tow points individually, but a one shot setting. Because the three primary dimensions of the bridle don't change (inhaul, outhaul & uphaul) the setting doesn't effect kite behavior the same way moving the individual tow points does. I find it to be an additional "set it and forget it" basic tuning point.

Small bridle changes like this don't have a great effect on the basic tricks overall. The aerodynamics of the kite have a lot more to do with trick capability. There's very little if anything you can do with a bridle that will make a kite change it's stripes and start doing easy flatspins.

Allen, AKA kitehead
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 11:10 PM »

'Twas once referred to as a "Wishbone" and allegedly it does this:-

What the wishbone does is to basically stabilise the kite's tracking without sacrificing turning.  It gives a very positive "snap" between "straight line" and "turning" modes which makes for good precision flying.

However I would personally describe this as a highly idealised case. Trick-wise... probably somewhere in the realms of bugger all. Let us all remember what the third C in Cosmic TC stands for. And anyway, in this case it's probably just an easy way to adjust the outhaul length.

Mike.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 11:23 PM by zippy8 » Logged

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 11:55 PM »

I never knew what the TC in the Cosmic TC stands for, care to enlighten?  Embarrassed

So by what you are saying, the longer the Wishbone, the better the apparent tracking? Interesting...I'll go give it a try. Thanks

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 12:41 AM »

I never knew what the TC in the Cosmic TC stands for, care to enlighten?  Embarrassed
As Kitehouse say on their very own website:- COSMIC-der Trick-Competition Kite von Christian Stahl.

So by what you are saying, the longer the Wishbone, the better the apparent tracking? Interesting...I'll go give it a try.

Ye gods no !  Huh Based on what Some People™ wrote about adding a wishbone to a bridle I did try it on a number of kites and the results I got were.... variable. Certainly too long made it deeply horrible; wobbly and mushy. Enough was difficult to come by and I never really got the sudden precision/tracking improvement I was led to believe I'd get. Tried it, abandoned it.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum