GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 09:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying Style is there such a thing?  (Read 3093 times)
Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 08, 2009, 05:39 PM »

Recent Posts got me thinkning about "Flying style"
There's always alot of references to a pilots flying style and/or kites suiting peoples "flying styles".
Do flying styles exist?
By that I mean do people fly kites certain ways (which could be seen as a style) or does the kite dictate how a Pilot should fly it.
I'm one of those who would consider the latter. As I've been learning I don't think i've developed a style so to speak but rather adjusted my imputs to suit the kites I have flown.

What are others thoughts Fact of Fiction?? or in between perhaps??

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Beachbum
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:43 PM »

Yes.

To further clarify, I use my Vendetta to cut lines and trick because it does them well.

I use an Organic to do Crazy yo fade uber junk because it does it well.

The difficulty is how define how they differ in the "Freestyle" definition.
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 06:50 PM »

Reminds me of a quote from Andy Wardley from the "Flying Techniques" DVD.

"Freestyle, is Freedom with Style".

Like that quote  Wink

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 06:56 PM »

I prefer "falling with style".

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
RonG
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 07:08 PM »

Yes.
There are absolutely distinct flying styles.  Not everyone has one, but those that do tend to fall into it regardless of which kite they're flying.
King-J

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 07:49 PM »

I prefer "falling with style".

Steve Has Style, Last Sunday he Did that trip fall thing with graceful style Cheesy, How are those Ribs? Wink
I was able to fix My Sail, almost can't Tell that someone did a Stylish Tip Stab to it Grin

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 08:08 PM »

Styles:

John Welden: smooth
Mark Reed: efficient
RonG: On the gas, or on the brakes (there is a reason his kite is called "Machine")
Andy Wardley: creative
Tim Benson: Polished

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
imarche
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 08:29 PM »

Certain types of kites develops a certain type of flying style...and
Certain types of flying styles suit certain types of kites...

Therefore,
If you fly a certain type of kite for a long time, you'd develop a style for that type of kite. Thus, each of us have our own favourite kites, coz the rest is just not our "style" of kites...

I'd think the style develops from the type of kites we fly or like...

Chua

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 09:21 PM »

I've watched fliers I would certainly say have style. One would hit the beach after most everybody had left, put on the earphones and just get lost in the kite and the music, he would be literally dancing with the kite, not just dancing the kite.

The same word could be used to describe my style & wardrobe - clashes

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 09:28 PM »

There are many ways to do the same trick - you can vary the speed, intensity, inputs, timing, etc.  With combos, there is even more opportunity for style - how, when, and what you tend to link together.  My favorite flyers to watch tend to do lots of tricks, but how they bring it all together in their unique way is what I think of as style.

I regularly fly with a few different people - I think that I could tell who is flying just by the way that the kite moves when they fly, no matter the kite.

What I think it even more unique is to watch how the flyer moves when doing tricks and flying.  Now THAT is generally an immediately discernible "style" (good or bad).

6 kite tom
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 10:08 PM »

Here's some examples I can think of after watching some trick kite videos over and over again to the point of ad nauseam

Kite House Cosmic Videos
On the STD, they do taz machines 80%-90% of the time on the right side of the window (presumebly that they are right handed)
Never saw a WAP Do Wap done on the STD
No Flic Flacs done on that STD (That, some of us know why). They show it on the Ghost and VTD though.
Lewis with Single/Multi-Lazies are everywhere
Cometes (sometimes with reversing) are everywhere

Trick of Treat - Deepspace
Tim Benson seems to love Wap Do Waps and multiple Waps (Single, Double, Triple Ladoles) very much
Never saw Andy Wardley do a Wap Do Wap. Instead he does a lot of lazy susans and grizzly variations (540 lazy susans back to a fade). His trick flying is more improvisationally "broken" up and "less french" looking, if it makes any sense.

Mayet with a Transfer
Pretty unique in the way it behaves on its back, unlike any other kite out there - Flat, slow and graceful

Debray with a Nirvana
There's always some mix of sharp precision flying intersped with tricks.

Some might be a flyer style thing while for others, it merely accentuates the strengths of the kite while avoiding what it can't do very well/or at all. In any case the end results can be pretty telltale as a sign of the style (Kite, or flyer).

There are like probably 20 - 30 dual line tricks and combos out there? I think thats only 1 variable in the equation. As TPatter mentioned, you can play with speed of execution (imagine trying to slow down JLs or cometes to a crawl) and figuring out how to string together weird looking combos?

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Ace

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 12:45 AM »

So far the general consensus seems to be that a lot of pilots have some sort of "flying style" or bias towards a certain way to fly their kites.
However with all the different kites offered today, what happens in the event that a certain kite won't allow the pilot to do what they want. ie. trying to fly say a QPRO like you would a Deepspace. Two very different kites each good at there own thing. Won't a persons flying style be influenced somewhat by the kites design? If so then do peoples flying style's alter with each particular kite? or do most pilots like to stick with the kites that best show off their style?

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 01:03 AM »

some pilots just don't get along with certain kites. this doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the kite, or the pilot, they just don't form the symbiotic relationship they might with something different.

each kite requires some modification of inputs to achieve the same results, but for some combination's of pilot and kite it's intuitive, and others it's not.

this isn't so much an influence on style, but would have a direct influence on what you might see someone flying. i have far more fun flying a kite i agree with, than one i argue with.

Fdeli
John Welden

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 12:28 PM »

I think a lot of it depends on winds you fly in.  90% of my flying time has been in light winds so I naturally got better at light wind flying.  Had I grown up in a place like the Bay area that gets 15+mph winds, I'd probably would have developed different skill set.

The smoothness of the wind you have to work with also effects a persons style.  A more aggressive technique works a lot better when you have to fly in junk wind. 

toryu
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 04:29 PM »

Hi Ace,
flying style ... a few minutes video watching will show it better than any written explanation:

Watch RonG's video "Gothic"
and afterwards
John Barresi's promovideo of the SF 2.3 ul "Johnfly"

(ok, different kites, different windsituation, but you will see what I mean)

Read you,  Jens
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document