GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 06:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tricking the Nirvana HW?  (Read 1538 times)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: November 10, 2009, 05:58 AM »

I'm liking it when the wind just starts to pick up at about 10 mph but I'm having trouble when it gets to 12 mph and up. It pulls too hard and I'm not sure if I should think about something that pulls less (a Talon VV?) or if I should keep working at it.

I'd like to hear anyone's experience with it, what their skill level is (RonG, RandyG versus me and anyplace in between), and what tricks would be hard to get with it.

I know that running and long arms help but it's just not happening for me.

On a side note, I really like my Widow Maker Spider because it DOES pull less compared to the Nirvana and I find it easier to trick. Does that make me a bad person?

Bob D.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:42 AM »

A Talon vent doesn't pull any harder than a standard Nirvana in the same wind. The Talon will trick easy in the 10 to 15 range and isn't too hard to trick in the 15 to 20 range. Of course your options decrease as the wind speeds increase.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Schook
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 08:45 AM »

(I am assuming you are talking about the Nirvana first edition)

I own and fly a Sea Devil full vent, Nirvana HW, and Vendetta vent.  The Nirvana HW is in the middle of these for pull when the wind is up.

You didn't mention your skill level.  When I first started, high wind was no fun for doing any kind of tricks.  As I gained more time and experience I feel more comfortable in the higher wind.   15mph should be no problem for the N HW.  I find this kite still tricks well in the 10 to 15mph range, above 15 and it starts to become work but things are doable.  I am able to all of the tricks that I am capable of doing on the standard even in 15mph wind.  (I would consider myself an intermediate skill level)

Also, a vented kite will pull harder in 15mph wind than a than a UL in 5mph wind.  You may have to work more at flying the HW, or avoid higher wind.  Like anything - practice, practice, practice.  Smiley

jim

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:00 AM »

If you think the Nirvana Vent is pulling hard at 12mph, then it may not be the kite for you.  Hell, 12mph is still comfortably w/in the standard Nirvana wind range....maybe even the sweet spot.

I didn't think the N Vent had particularly strong pull, even in 20+mph.  I did find some aspects of it a little weak, like flare/fade based stuff, probably because of the position of the vents.  Some other tricks were strong points.
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:00 PM »

Bob,

Before giving up on the Nirvana you might try experimenting with adjusting the bridle knots at the nose, if you have not already done so. I was surprised at how much of a difference this made to the tricking characteristics of the vented version. There was some improvement in the pull factor but a huge difference in my ability to do tricks with this kite. I no longer needed ten foot arms.
fworley
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:52 PM »

You can always stick some R-Sky air brakes on there too ... which will reduce the speed and
pull of the kite ... but at 12mph ... you really shouldn't have to resort to that.

-Frazer
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 03:08 PM »

Bob,

What you need is something like the Level One Easy Vented.

Smaller kite, rated 6-37mph..  Huh

I think the Niv is just too big for you.

Or maybe a Merlin Vented:

Rated 7.5-31mph..  Huh Huh
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 03:12 PM by JimB » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 04:15 PM »

I flew a Vented Easy and it really does have a light pull. I like the Nirvana and I want to keep it until I get good enough to merit owning it. Maybe it's like a recreational cyclist owning a $3,000 bike but at least a Nirvana isn't a $3,000 bike.

I'm not sure of the actual wind speeds but I have trouble when the wind is brisk. It's got a higher sweet spot than a standard in the same wind but it's harder to do much when the wind is kicking.

Playing around with the bridle might be an idea. All I got is time. I'm not in a rush to be the best - I just want to go out and have some fun when I have the time.

Jim: Maybe we could meet up sometime at LSP on a Monday. I'd be interested to watch you to learn some tips. I pretty much learn by trial and error. (mostly error.)

Bob D.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 04:42 PM »

Sure, if you think it would help.  Roll Eyes

I'm trying to get out there any Monday the weather/wind is decent and something else doesn't come up.

So far, the weather is looking good for this Monday. Just have to wait and see what the wind is going to be.

The vent I'm dragging around at the moment is the Transfer XT.s VV and if you think the HW is a beast; I'm here to tell you the XT.s VV is that and more. It's got an 8P frame! Shocked

Tricking vents is almost always problematical.

Often it's better to go with a smaller non-vented kite for rec flying IMO.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:46 PM by JimB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change