GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 02:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Identifying 2,3,4 wrap  (Read 5121 times)
lilabner
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: November 10, 2009, 05:50 PM »

How can I identify the difference between the 2,3, & 4 wrap framing ?

Thanks
Ab

Formally known as Abster
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:02 PM »

What "brand" rods?

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
lilabner

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:06 PM »

That's gonna take a tad bit of work Shocked let me set this yoyo down & I'll grab em outa my G5. brb

They say Revolution on em soooooooooooooooooo let me guess??? Is dat da brand??? Cheesy Wink
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:09 PM by lilabner » Logged

Formally known as Abster
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 06:17 PM »

From memory ...
"Professional" - 2 wrap
"Ultra Light" - 3 wrap
"Equipped" - 4 wrap
That's all I got.  Feel free to correct and or expand on this.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
lilabner

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 06:34 PM »

U have cleared da muddy water 4 me

Thanks Bro
Ab

Formally known as Abster
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 06:36 PM »

Glad to be of service Abster

Steve
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 08:59 PM »

Couldn't find your old chart Steve? At least the memory isn't failing you

From your old chart ..

Revolution Rods -
Sometimes hard to understand, Rev rods come in 2 basic sizes. The 'old' skinny (0.25 inch interior diameter) rods. And the thicker (0.43 ID rods).

The larger "SLE" rods are used for leading edges in most of the kites being made today. The thinner rods are found as the vertical rods on all Rev's and also double as leading edges on SUL 1.5's, Rev 2's and in 'standard' Rev 1's. The indoor and EXP's have their own rods.

There are 3 basic types of each of the Rev rods:

Professional - 2 wrap rods used for SUL applications. These are only made in .25 inch diameter.

Ultra Light - which is a 3 wrap rod and considered the 'standard' Rev rod.
The Supersonic, Rev 1.5 SLE, Rev 1 SLE and the Rev 2 use these rods.

Equipped - a 4 wrap rod and sort of the 'high wind' Rev rod.
The Blast series, Shockwave, 1.5 vent and the Rev 1 standard use these rods.

Okay ... I lied. There is another rod. The Stiff, a 5 wrap rod for extreme conditions. These are pretty rare and so far as I know, no production kite was made with these.

All the different wraps, except the Professional, come in both the SLE (or .43) and the .25 versions.

Sadly I can't post the nice table you had with all the measurements and ferruling to the forum & of course Race Rods have been added since you wrote that but they haven't been standard issue on anything have they?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
lilabner

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 07:13 PM »

Thanks Mike

Formally known as Abster
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 08:33 PM »

Memory is not as bad as usual.
I'll clean up the old site stuff from the page and remove dead links eventually but here is the info: http://www.gwtwforum.com/extras/rev/rods.htm
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:36 PM by Steve » Logged

Steve
Jeepster

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 06:27 AM »

Steve,

Neat chart ... thanks.

I noticed one mistake ... the REV II has 24 inch verticals not 34 inch.  And, one addition ... the REV II now comes with a three piece leading edge ... 24.75 inch center rod with no ferrules and 24.75 inch wings with one ferrule each.

Most Rev fliers speak disparagingly about the 0.43 inch SLE rods in a 1.5 kite.  They switch out the large diameter leading edge for the thinner 1/4 inch rods either at purchase or soon there after.  Since the majority of Rev kites sold are the 1.5 size, this sentence from the chart seems confusing: The larger "SLE" rods are used for leading edges in most of the kites being made today.

Cheers,
Tom

kiten00b
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 08:40 AM »

they make "Silver Bullets" spars too, they're supposed to be tapered and lighter/stronger
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 09:07 AM »

Thanks for pointing out the error on the Rev II verticals Tom.  I did correct that.  This chart was done in 2002 and the info was based on the Rev line up at that time.  7 years ago, as I recall, we were still doing a fair amount of business upgrading peoples kites to the "newer" SLE rods hence the statement that "SLE" rods are used for leading edges in most of the kites being made today"

Steve
quaa714

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 09:53 AM »

In fact, the new 4 wrap rods are now labeled "strong".
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 12:18 PM »

Actually, most of the Revolutions do use the SLE rods.  The only ones that don't come standard with the SLE is the EXP, Rev II, Indoor and the B-Series.  All other models (Supersonic, Supersonic Vented, Shockwave, 1.5 SLE, 1.5 SLE Vented, Rev 1, Blast, Powerblast 2-4, Powerblast 4-8) all come with the SLE 7/16" leading edges.

Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 01:35 PM »

Actually, that is exactly what the page says.

Am I missing something here?

Steve
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography