GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 02:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Identifying 2,3,4 wrap  (Read 5288 times)
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 01:44 PM »

Actually, that is exactly what the page says.

Am I missing something here?

I think Kent was referring to Jeepsters comment.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:45 PM by Dano » Logged
Jeepster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 05:33 PM »

Actually, that is exactly what the page says.

Am I missing something here?
Steve,

The point I tried to make ... obviously not that clearly ... was that the majority of the Rev kites sold are 1.5 size.  That's based on the distribution of Rev kites amongst our club members and not on any known data.  Even the majority of the 1.5 SLE kites in our club are equipped from the factory with 0.25 ID rods.  Thus, I assumed that the term "most" applied to the numbers sold.  Thus, I'm suggesting that, in total, there are more .25 ID leading edges than 0.43 ID leading edges sold. 

I think others are taking exception to the number of kites sold and basing the term "most" on kite names:

Three 0.25 ID leading edges (RevII, EXP and B-series) vs five or more 0.43 ID leading edges (Sonic, Shockwave,  Blast, Power Blast 2-4, Power Blast 4-8, etc).

Since the statement has dual meanings, maybe it simply needs to be removed.

And yep, the silver bullet rods are not in the chart ... nor are the race rods.  Both are generally special order frame sets.  Although, the Pro-series does list the race rods as a standard order item.

Boy am I glad this list is your responsibility and not mine ... looks like there are more foot notes than entries.

Cheers,
Tom

Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 08:09 PM »

... the REV II now comes with a three piece leading edge ... 24.75 inch center rod with no ferrules and 24.75 inch wings with one ferrule each.

On that note..
I've been thinking of making a 3-piece rod of P-200's to replace my 2-piece LE on my II, both ferrules in the middle like the Race Rods in my 1.5. I'll guess the ferrules on the outside for the II are just to help the package fold up a bit shorter for travel ??
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 08:33 PM »

That would be my guess too. Thinking with the same size rods, one ferrule is shorter than 2. Not really sure if that will make or break your length budget though... Roll Eyes

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Jeepster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 08:40 PM »

... the REV II now comes with a three piece leading edge ... 24.75 inch center rod with no ferrules and 24.75 inch wings with one ferrule each.

On that note..
I've been thinking of making a 3-piece rod of P-200's to replace my 2-piece LE on my II, both ferrules in the middle like the Race Rods in my 1.5. I'll guess the ferrules on the outside for the II are just to help the package fold up a bit shorter for travel ??

If you're going to make a 3-piece leading edge think about cutting the wing rods at 24 inches (same length as the vertical rods) and inserting one ferrule in each wing rod.  Then cut the center rod at 26 inches long ... no ferrule.  With 4 inch ferrules inserted half way, that makes the wings 26 inches long and the center rod 26 inches long.  That's half to three-quarters of an inch shorter than the standard three piece leading edge from Rev.  The REV II will fit diagonally in a standard size suitcase.  If you cut the rods at 24.75 inches and put two ferrules in the center section, the end result will be 28.75 inches ... that's too long for my suitcase.

I used P2X rods to make a slightly softer frame set than the standard 3-wraps ... the P200's should work well also.

The best way to travel is still with a travel frame set (17.5 inch long rods) for a 1.5 Rev.  That frame set will pack in a carry on!!

Cheers,
Tom
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 08:54 PM »

The REV II will fit diagonally in a standard size suitcase.  If you cut the rods at 24.75 inches and put two ferrules in the center section, the end result will be 28.75 inches ... that's too long for my suitcase...

...The best way to travel is still with a travel frame set (17.5 inch long rods) for a 1.5 Rev.  That frame set will pack in a carry on!!

Cheers,
Tom
Looks like it might break that budget after all!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 09:11 PM »

Ah, got it now.  Thanks for the clarification.  I resurrected that info just as a bit of nostalgia ... as I mentioned that was done back in '02.  I compiled and shared the info as I was constantly being asked for spec's on the various rods used in Rev's kites.  At that time there was no information publicly available elsewhere.  I have no intention of updating any of the information.  Anyone that wants to have a go is welcome to do it.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document