GWTW Forum
August 28, 2014, 12:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Line  (Read 2039 times)
reddobie
Trade Count: (+32)

« on: November 12, 2009, 12:02 AM »

Most of my kite gear is old, like 20 years.  How old is to old for kite line?  Also, from what I see they no longer sell Kevlar line, is that right?

Mark

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 01:24 AM »

Be hard pressed to find Kevlar marketed as kite line today, Spectra has many advantages over Kevlar. Spectra is lighter, more UV resistant and much slicker. It's disadvantage is it's low melting point and it will be cut by any other line you might be unfortunate enough to cross.

As far as life span I have some 20+ year old line sets that are still usable, but if tested I bet they no longer have their full strength. If yours have been stored out of the sunlight and not exposed to temperature extremes they are probably still be serviceable but a new line set should be near the top of your shopping list, todays lines are much improved over those old ones.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:32 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Tonka
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 03:40 AM »

And very reasonably priced compared to the cost of a kite.............i might add!!!
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:13 AM »

Last summer I took some 19-20 year old broken Spectra lines and shortened them up. They have held up so far after several uses. They feel fine too.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 11:46 AM »

Welcome back to kiting.  Smiley
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 04:31 PM »

I have some 30 year old Kevlar (herculine) that is still in good shape, but most organized events frown on Kevlar.  Something about trying to prevent ear loss.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Beachbum
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 04:40 PM »

I have some pretty hefty Spiderline if anyone feels the need to dismember something.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 07:39 PM »

I have some 30 year old Kevlar (herculine) that is still in good shape, but most organized events frown on Kevlar.  Something about trying to prevent ear loss.
crown on it???
I have seen some flying on Kevlar kicked off the field before!!!! group brute force advised the flyer to leave!!!!!
those darn Newport fliers can be a handful if you get them on the wrong day!!!!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
reddobie
Trade Count: (+32)

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 02:42 PM »

I do already have some new line sets.

I was wondering if I should keep the old line sets.  From the answers, I will be. 

I just want to know about Kevlar, 20 years ago it was being heavily marketed.

Mark

xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 03:19 PM »

If you're flying alone, it probably won't matter what you fly. Just be aware if you are sharing close quarters with other kites.

People inside your window will be vulnerable regardless of type of line when flying in any decent wind (i.e. kite is flying fast/line is taut).

on another note, my lines for my Hawaiian are close to 20 years old, and to be honest I can't remember what they are made of... still fly great though. Use them on the mighty bug when the wind is too much for the stock lines...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 03:23 PM by xuzme720 » Logged

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 06:07 PM »

I just want to know about Kevlar, 20 years ago it was being heavily marketed.

Kevlar was the way to go until ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (Spectra / Dyneema) came out. I remember the first time I tried them, they were smooth.

I have some Kevlar lines in a box of old gear but I wouldn't use them even if they are still strong enough. Spectra type lines are slicker and will take more wraps before binding up. They are lighter and thinner for the same strength line than Kevlar too.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 08:39 PM »

I understand why we fly spectra over kevlar, (in fact, ALL my linesets are new, mostly spectra, with the exception of the Hawaiian set) but if you have them (kevlar) on hand and aren't wrapping that much, or at least not enough to warrant buying new lines for your type of flying, I say use them. Whatever it takes to get you in the wind, as long as it's not harming anyone. That being said, if you are flying with others, probably better to get some new sets...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
bt
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 05:43 PM »

I remember my 1st Rev 2 came with kevlar line....`93-`94 or so?Huh
I also found a couple of kevlar linesets at my local(ish) kite store about 5 yrs ago and still use them from time to time but only on old school kites.... Maybe it`s the nostalgia kicking in but for me every so often an old school kite and some old school line(s).....yeah....
I fly alone 90% of the time and only use the kevlar lines when I am alone for reasons already mentioned...
bt

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document