GWTW Forum
May 29, 2016, 02:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PLEASE READ: Protect Your Eyes!  (Read 4808 times)
Dano
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: February 12, 2016, 07:57 PM »

I just got diagnosed today with PSC cataracts in both eyes, requiring surgery.
I can only assume this is related to all the times the wind seems to prefer blowing towards the sun.
Transition glasses were not sufficient to protect me. 3-4000 dollars later the fog should hopefully be removed from my vision.

Please wear quality dark uv protection sunglasses when flying towards the sun and protect yourself from the problem I am now having to deal with!

Cry
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 08:09 PM »

wow, so sorry for the news.  Thanks for the words of caution.

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 08:51 PM »

bummer about your eyesight. the good news? there's a treatment solution! hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Fdeli
RobB
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 12:08 AM »

good luck with the procedure, I know a few people who have had it done, they're happy with the results. And yes, I keep a pair of glacier glasses in my kite bag... hoping to postpone the inevitable...

Oldgoat
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 08:50 AM »

The last time I had an eye exam the optometrist asked me if I spent a lot of time in the sun.  I of course immediately wanted to know why she asked.  While it was not yet serious there was some damage and she cautioned me to be sure to wear "good" sun glasses.  Well I'm a So Cal beach flier and have always worn "shades" but now I've added some decent sun glasses to the UV protection package which not only includes sunscreen but long sleeve shirts with built in UV protection.  Yep been to the dermatologist as well Sad  I certainly +1 Dano's warning.
 Smiley
RobB
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 10:01 AM »

I have always used good quality glasses, ever since a young age. My eyes are very light sensitive. RayBans, Oaklys, Revos are all glasses that I have been happy with, but recently I found myself wanting more. I found these serious Glacier glasses that are really too dark for most outdoor activities, but perfect for kite flying in the bright sun. They stay in the kite bag, and when the everyday glasses just don't cut it, I switch them out for these...

https://www.julbo.com/en/16/products/family/sunglasses_5.html

I got the 'Vermont' model, but they have a wide range of styles, and they start out at pretty reasonable prices. Cheap insurance in the long run, I say.

Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+37)

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 10:14 AM »

This has been one of the few advantages of being a life long eyeglass wearer. After a few years of kite flying I asked my ophthalmologist if I should be wearing sunglasses. He said "not for UV protection, but sure if the bright light is uncomfortable". Any polycarbonate lens, even clear ones, blocks 100% of UV.

Fortunately I've never been very sensitive to bright light, so I've only worn clip on shades a few times for all day sessions on bright sand. Seemed to help with overall fatigue, but it was much more hassle to get used to than it was worth.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom