GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 06:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help w/the backspin  (Read 3215 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: November 12, 2009, 04:43 AM »

I've seen most of the vids on the backspin by mama74/others Undecided,but i'm haveing trouble duplicating this on the field Cry. I can get 1 to 2 rotations ,but loose it after that. Either the line gets caught on the yoyo stopper or the kite doesn't rotate around Embarrassed(i think it's called a barrel roll).
Here's what I do:
1. enter the fade from a 1/2 axel or flare
2. pull the line of the up wing & give slack w/the offhand
*any advice/guidence is greatly appreciated*
711jrp
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 04:46 AM »

Walk towards the kite all the time it's backspinning.

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:53 AM »

Walk towards the kite all the time it's backspinning.

I agree, except for the lightest winds you usually need to move toward the kite during the backspin. This is good advice while learning many new tricks.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
tommymcmillan

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 02:27 PM »

Thank you,i'll give it a try.
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:08 PM »

One thing I also realise is that kites that sit very nose high in a fade can be difficult to backspin and they turn into barrel rows instead. Try and pull for the rotation when the fade is flat - the spine is parallel to the ground. Also what you could aim for is to pull for the spin at the point when the kite is "almost falling out of the fade" as that is the lowest where the nose could go in a fade.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Fast EDDY
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 12:23 AM »

Hey TOMMY

This May be a DUMB Question since I do not see a Mention of the kite your flying right off. Or maybe I just missed it.

However Does your Kite have TAIL weights IN it???

As the Kite Slows in the wind and as it begins to loose Kenetic energy the Tail will Naturally begin to "SAG" as you are talking about... YOU may want to Move or remove any weight in the Keel UP or OUT of the Kite and see if that helps you out some.

Also try doing as one fellow said do the spin with more movement down wind and the Nose deeper comer out of the spin.

Fast EDDY
tommymcmillan

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:22 PM »

The kite i'm learning on is the black widow,and yes it has tail weights.
ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:13 PM »

Pull the lower wing rather than the upper.  Go to Randy's site and take a look at the backspin cascade.
Oscar_g

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 12:40 AM »

Pull the lower wing rather than the upper.  Go to Randy's site and take a look at the backspin cascade.

I Agree. 

For me, the perfect time is just as the low wing is starting to swing back up.

C.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 05:39 PM »

yes, you always pull the bottom wing. the prism video will say the same thing.
walk fowards like they said. and also, what I do is make sure to keep an even amount of time between each pull.
Like a metronome, even. If you pull to early, i find the kite falls out of the fade, and if you pull to late, it looks extremely sloppy.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Beachbum
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 07:16 PM »

Everythings been covered with the exception of don't dilly-dally.  It's a little easier if you try to do the backspin immediately after getting into the fade.
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 06:03 PM »

As mentioned above, tilt the kite so one wing is lower than the other. I kept the kite level when first learning the trick. Wheever I did manage to get a backspin, I couldn't figure out what I did right that time.

It took me several months over two seasons, to finally figure out what I was doing wrong. Even then, it was one of those happy accidents: I got a backspin while trying to do a different trick. I saw the proper set-up that time and everything fell into place after that.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
tommymcmillan

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 08:04 PM »

Thank you all for the valuble info..
freecheese

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 08:06 PM »

I realize this thread is a little old, but I'd like to add one minor (but important) point: Learn to fly the kite in a fade. Backspins are much easier if you can put the kite into position when and where you want to, instead of just waiting for an opportunity with your strong hand poised to strike.

Josh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change