GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 03:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tricks for beginners  (Read 5179 times)
doddg
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 06:41 AM »

Of course you want to learn control. At first the new flier is only correcting what the kite is doing, due to your hand, arm and body movement so that is what you need to learn first. If you can find an copy of one my DVDs, the 6 step system is still very valid today. I still teach a slight variation of it and people still learn.

It consists of all of the basic learning essentials for gaining control of your kite and will teach you the following:
Launching and different methods
Pull and push turns teaches kite control and beyond
Punch turn squares, teaches precision and sets muscle memory
Spin/Land/Slide which teaches how to basically stall and move your body and window useage.
Snap Stall teaches how to stop the kite by using hand, body and arm motions you learned from the previous lessons, and then
Axle, your first slack line trick

On the field I do skip sometimes, fliers need a couple of tricks to keep them interested. So I normally show them different ground recoveries i.e. Cartwheel, Nose launch which can teach a fade and rising fade immediately to a newbie which keeps them stoked and hungry for more!

Depending on the flier, flic flacs can be shown immediately as well from that fade and many get it right away in fact I just went through this with a few fliers recently.

Best wishes
Dodd gross
skydog kites

chrispie

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 08:50 PM »

ha dodd.. just received the Flight School DVD... very helpful.  Cheesy

Been 2 months since i got my first kite... I guess i was really lucky to have met a few pilots that very generously taught me the tricks.. finally my half axel is getting somewhere after 3 weeks. Rising fades, lazy susan getting more fluent as well...

Been watchg many tutorials by Dodd, Randy and some others.. and when i wasnt able to fly.. i always try to visualize and simulate the hand movements..either actual or in my head..  very surprised how much faster it picks up when i go out into the field..

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
bt
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 09:28 PM »

One more thing.....learn how to crash gently in any wind, in and from any part of the window.....similar, but not the same as a stall or a landing..
bt       
anOldMan

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 09:58 PM »

One more thing.....learn how to crash gently in any wind, in and from any part of the window.....similar, but not the same as a stall or a landing..
bt       

They usually do not teach you how to crash gently.  Cheesy Cheesy

There are two versions:

• Drop both lines and run after the kite. (difficult with straps around your wrist)
  • Run as hard and fast as you can at the kite with your hand as far in front of you as possible.

Both involve running at or after the kite.  Wink
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:00 PM by anOldMan » Logged

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 11:39 AM »

bt       

Crashing with Style!

Allen, AKA kitehead
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 05:03 PM »

Both involve running at or after the kite.  Wink
Mine usually involve a bit of vowel recitation as well. You know, O O O O O or E E E E E E....

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 09:42 AM »

My alltime fav beginner trick was the Spine Shattering Goose Killer Dive into a Walk of Shame Face Plant.
My very first trick and I had it down phatass perfect!
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 01:29 PM »

Maybe too obvious to mention, but. . .
Once I was flying stunt kites with a friend who was even more novice at it than I was (and still am!!). I gave him a silly little tip that really helped him.

His kite would often fall over into "dead launch" position (face down, nose toward him) when he landed, and he'd have to walk to the kite to flip it over. (Over and over!)

I just showed him some tricks to prevent that: (a) give more slack just as the kite is landing, so it's leaning back more, and (b) if it starts falling over toward you, just do a quick little "takeoff" and land again with the kite leaning back more.

It's so simple and obvious that most of us never think about it, but if you haven't figured it out on your own, it's important!

Norm in Toronto
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 06:22 AM »

When I learned I used dodds flight school vid's when i was 6-9 years old. I thought of them as guidelines (basically, i watched the 3 and figured out which tricks liked first and learned those. I couldn't fly a square or do a solid snap stall to save my life. (i was a stubborn little kid, trust me).  looking back on it I'd do it differently.

I'd learn control and figures.
Recoveries.
then fades from a pancake, and turtles.
axles, 1/2 axles.
etc.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum