GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 11:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Stretch or Not to Stretch  (Read 2407 times)
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:21 AM »

That is the question.

I recently read "Do not attempt to "pre-stretch" flying lines. This will lead to inconsistent results. It is best to allow the lines to stretch and break-in under actual flying conditions."

I have always pre-stretched. Is it a mistake?
Rx
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:40 AM »

I make all my own lines and always pre-stretch them. After lots of use, I've had zero issues and my lines have stayed very even.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:51 AM »

That's news to me. 
Made many line set that I pre-stretched with no apparent issues.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 12:03 PM »

Make all my own. Shanti and LPG. #50, 90, 150 & 300. Never stretched any & never have had any problems. I check them periodically and they have always been spot on. I have however always observed the advice to make both lines from the same spool.
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 12:39 PM »

I've always stretched line before making linesets, but I have noticed a lot of difference in how line stretches. Some line very obviously stretches and never returns to it's original length. Some seems to spring right back. We're only talking 1/2" or so on 100' of line, but I'd rather the line be mostly done growing before I start using it.

I've heard tell a fun and final way to stretch line is to fly a hard pulling SLK off it for the afternoon.   Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 04:11 PM »

I always stretch new lines -- try to get them even after the stretch.

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 04:36 PM »

I attach new line sets to a stack or other hard pulling kite and fly for 20 min or so then equalize them and don't have to adjust for quit a while after that.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Jeepster

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 05:54 PM »

With quads, I've been taught to pre-stretch the spectra before making line sets.  If you don't, the top lines - which take the greatest load - grow quite a bit relative to the bottom (brake) lines during the initial flights.  My first line set wasn't pre-stretched and it seemed like I was constantly adjusting the line length via the pigtails on the handles during the first three or four flights.  It's not an insurmountable problem, but it's not worth fighting ... just pre-stretch.

I suspect with dual line kites, that the pull on the two lines is relatively even ... a little bit of extra pull from the dominant arm maybe.  Thus, pre-stretching is probably not as important.

BTW, I made up several sets of stacking lines out of bridle material.  The stack lines have to be very close to the same length if you want the stack to fly well.  I didn't pre-stretch the bridle line and found it to be a pain getting the lines all the same length.  The next set will be made from pre-stretched bridle line.

Cheers,
Tom
anOldMan

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 09:35 AM »

When you do not pre-stretch your lines. After a while, a couple or hours, you will find that the line on your dominate hand will longer. Very few people do the same amount of tricks with the passive hand as their dominate hand.

Then, guess what, you have to stretch both lines to make them equal. Why not pre-stretch the lines in the beginning?  Wink
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 11:47 AM by anOldMan » Logged

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 12:20 PM »

Just switch the lines from side to side (or top to bottom on a quad) and the "other" line(s) will become the same as the dominant one. Smiley

GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 12:41 PM »

Ah!! At last, a plausible answer. I am Ambidextrous. I have wondered if needing to stretch lines was true or an urban legend. Every link I have read agrees it is necessary but I have never stretched any of the sets I have made and all my sets are still equal. I must be stretching the lines equally during normal flying.

The only thing I havenít been able to do equally well on both sides is a double axel. Easy with a left hand pop but my right hand pop just doesnít get it. 

Thanks.
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 03:29 PM »

I'd have to agree with Zeke. I stretch all the sets I make, but I have noticed that on premade sets, you do get what you pay for. Every "bargain" set, I have had to adjust after flight. Not really a problem as I have everything I need even if I need to resleeve them, just an observation...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
ainokea

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 08:56 AM »

Stretch them. When I first started flying, I was told that pre stretched lines were always better so there would be no creep in them and the lines would always be even. This is by a couple of very well known kite makers who still makes kites today. After 23 years of flying and making a few sets of my own, who am I to argue with them.  Grin

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography