GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 10:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Import duty for German Kite shipped to the US  (Read 5479 times)
Bgywrinkle
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: November 12, 2009, 04:01 PM »

Has anyone bought a kite from Germany or any of the EU countries and imported it into the US?  I'm wondering what the duty percentage was and how it was classified. Did it come in as a Kite/Toy, new or used and how was the duty handled.  I'm not looking to import kites as a business, but want to buy just one and have it shipped to me.

I've tried contacting DSL global but the number (.21%) seems a bit odd with a limit of 400USD as max duty.

Any help/ insight you can offer would be appreciated.

Regards,
Don

May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.
fworley
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 04:11 PM »

Whats coming ? TNT ? NRG ? Something else ?

-Frazer
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:11 PM »

The import duty price will be $0....just be prepared for it to clear customs.

"Do what you like"
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 04:12 PM »

I did a long time ago, with no duty.

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 07:37 PM »

don is getting something a bit bigger than a dualie Wink

did you check out the usps website yet? that might have info....
but also because it is used it might not be susceptible to the taxes et al....

I will admit I have never seen a deal like this happen in two days before!!
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 08:12 PM »

There are no import duties or additional taxes levied on kites either at retail or wholesale.
Trust me.  I imported a kite or two back in the day.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 07:02 AM »

Import duties from Germany might not be anything to worry about but the new German customs regulations make getting small parts orders from Germany crazy expensive. They can no longer put a few parts in an envelope and post them to you for a small fee. Now parts that cost 6.80 Euros in Germany cost 50 Euros to get delivered here in Calif.
Can you imagine? $80 for 8 stand off connectors and a couple pair of yoyo stops.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 07:05 AM »

Ouch!  Huh

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 07:16 AM »

Import duties from Germany might not be anything to worry about but the new German customs regulations make getting small parts orders from Germany crazy expensive. They can no longer put a few parts in an envelope and post them to you for a small fee. Now parts that cost 6.80 Euros in Germany cost 50 Euros to get delivered here in Calif.
Can you imagine? $80 for 8 stand off connectors and a couple pair of yoyo stops.

Denny
maybe if you need some part email don and ask if they can be dropped into his package  Roll Eyes

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
EBGB

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 07:24 PM »

The very short/oversimplified version:
Duty: Free - generally classified as toys - HTS: 9503.00.0080

Value < $200.00: the courier will likely clear it as a section 321 = $0.00
Value > $200.00 < $2000.00: MPF (Merchandise Processing Fee) @ 0.21%, min $2.00, plus you'll probably pay some kind of brokerage fee.
Value > $2000.00 MPF @ 0.21%, Min $25.00, Max $485.00, and  pretty much guarnateed a brokerage fee.

Most countries in the EU have added a requirement for export customs filing, so there's that to consider as well.

If it's something big enough to move as air freight rather than courier, things change quite a bit.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
Bgywrinkle

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 05:50 AM »

Thanks all for the replies.
The package in on the way. The .21%figure seemed odd when I first heard it, but now that EBGB has repeated it with the appropiate HTS reference it makes more sence.  There was a german tax of 19%(we think we have it bad) that I would guess is the export fee.  Oh well it's on the way and I'll deal with the extra when I see it.

Thanks Again,
Don

Bgywrinkle

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 08:26 AM »

Just a follow up. Everything arrived in fine shape from Germany on Dec 1st (shipped on the 16th of Nov).  I was expecting to pay a duty, but none was required. the box was x-rayed but not opened.  Interestingly enough, DHL was the originator then the Deutche Post took over and then the US Postal Service was the actual group that delivered the package.

Thanks again for the responces,
Don

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 09:02 AM »

Ye of little faith ...  Wink
Enjoy the kite!

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
HiFly

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 03:22 PM »

There was a german tax of 19%(we think we have it bad) that I would guess is the export fee. 

19% is generally just the german VAT, not an export fee. You had to pay it although shipping outside the EU / to the US?

They can no longer put a few parts in an envelope and post them to you for a small fee. Now parts that cost 6.80 Euros in Germany cost 50 Euros to get delivered here in Calif

are you sure?
http://www.deutschepost.de/dpag?tab=1&skin=hi&check=yes&lang=de_EN&xmlFile=link1017119_1009418
I would say 6 Euros (+2.05 if registered) for a "Großbrief International" would be the maximum (<500g) for those few parts. How do you come to 50?

just curious

Mike

Mike
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 09:04 AM »

You've had it for a couple of days now, Don.  Where are the pics?  Pretty please?  Sad

ATB,
Sam
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change