GWTW Forum
September 19, 2014, 08:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUL Bridle attachment  (Read 1893 times)
lilabner
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: November 14, 2009, 03:12 PM »

I'm not much of a Rev guy Shocked not dat  I don't like Rev's (SUL & Std. SLE & a II in my Rev bag) I just haven't been able to put my duals down in the past. Yesterday I took my Rev bag only when I headed to the field. Today I split my day between Revs & Duals.

Here's da problem I encountered: Cry My Larkshead slipped off the SUL bridle knot half a dozen times yesterday. The line set in question was 90# w/sleeving. It's like the sleeving is just too big to catch the bridle knot & hold it securely. The bridle knot is slipping out from under the sleeving/larkshead. After talking wit Knauss & ruminating upon this problem a bit, I think I'll make up some line sets of 75# blueberry & leave the sleeving off   

I'm I heading in the right direction here??? Am I making more problems for myself?? Your thoughts please.

And thanks in advance  Wink

Formally known as Abster
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 05:47 PM »

I tie another half hitch on top of the knots at the pigtail ends on the SUL's bridle to bulk them up. seems to work OK.
bt
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 11:02 PM »

Had the same problem with one of my 1.5 sul`s. Is your bridle a very light weight and has a waxyish finish??
I have 3 from different yrs between `97 and 2007 and they all have different weight bridles. The one`s from `97 and `07 are fine but the one from the 2003/2004??`s bridle is very light and waxy and I had to double up on the knots you speak of as my lines were slipping off....50 lb w/sleeving. 50 lb. line without sleeving did not slip off however but I still doubled up the knot as the bridle is waxy. Sleeving vs non sleeving is another topic....I do both.
I was going to change the bridle but decided not to as that`s the one I dunk in the water and the lighter more waxy bridle handles the water better...go figure..
bt
lilabner
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 03:47 PM »

o3'/04' would be about the right time frame.

Thanks for the help guy, I appreciate it Wink

Ab

Formally known as Abster
Jeepster

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 05:53 PM »

The bridle knot is slipping out from under the sleeving/larkshead. After talking wit Knauss & ruminating upon this problem a bit, I think I'll make up some line sets of 75# blueberry & leave the sleeving off   

I'm I heading in the right direction here??? Am I making more problems for myself?? Your thoughts please.

Because you mention making a line set out of Berry Blue, I'm wondering if your sleeving is the Berry Blue stuff.  I've seen one Rev line set made from Berry Blue line and sleeving.  The owner was having trouble keeping it on a standard bridle.  If yours is Berry Blue you might try changing to a thinner sleeving.  Shanti makes a great sleeving for 90# line ... white, white w/ green and white w/ black. 

The suggestion to add to the size of the bridle knot is good advice ... and, much cheaper than a new line set.  I've got one SUL with a bridle, like yours, made from non-covered spectra.  It's very slippery!!  I added a figure eight knot to the original knot and then a drop of CA.  The bridle is now about worn out, but I've never slipped a line.

Cheers,
Tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 06:12 PM »

Yeah, a figure 8 knot is bulkier. Great for this type of thing.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Jim Foster

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 06:43 PM »

Another option, which I use, is to pull the SUL pigtail through a piece of line sleeving, secure it with a knot at the kite end of the pigtail, and tie a figure eight knot in the sleeving to which I secure the kite line.  Has never come loose.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document