GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 09:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: flic- flacs  (Read 7089 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: March 16, 2009, 04:44 AM »

When practicing my flic flacs on the Silver fox 2.5 . They become unstable after the 3rd-4th one,what I mean is that the kite starts to angle left or right as i'm doing them. Why is this what going on?
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 06:39 AM »

A couple things that are probably obvious....

1.  Be sure you are in the center of the window.  Otherwise, the kite will tend to shift off center just because of the angle of the wind.

2.  Be sure you tug it out of the flare EVENLY with both hands.  Even a slight imbalance can give you an off balance flare, which then leads back to an off balance fade.

Learning how this can be used to your advantage will help with backspins, backspin cascades...and the ever-popular duplex.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 08:26 AM »

Keep your hands close together, if not touching, as much as possible when doing flic flacs.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 08:42 AM »

I agree with both of the above.. +:

It is most likely you're hitting it a bit unevenly. Try changing the intensity or sharpness of the inputs.  Different kites and wind conditions take different inputs. It may be easier to be even with sharper or more gradual inputs.

Also, if the winds real bumpy it can be tough to keep any trick going after a few.

I love the Flic-Flac. It was one of the first cool looking tricks I learned.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
spence602
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 09:08 AM »

Keep your hands close together, if not touching, as much as possible when doing flic flacs.
If you keep your hands together, you'll have to bring both hands in towards your stomach.
If you lower your hands you'll cause yourself pain.  Roll Eyes

Once the muscle memory develops and you can keep the kite even, then you can separate them towards the outside.  You'll also know what slight inputs are needed to keep it stable.

Spence
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 09:55 AM »

Kites usually do what you and/or the wind tell them to do.
You may not mean to be telling it to angle off, but if your flares are uneven, you are telling it to angle off. Wink
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 12:44 PM »

My regular flick flacks get unstable all the time, but I'm getting better at correcting them by pulling more with one side as needed.

For really clean flick flacks, try this:

Get the kite into a stable fade.

Grab both straps in one hand and pull and release and pull and release and pull...

Not practical all the time, but the flick flacks can look really, really nice.

Works best in very clean wind, in the middle of the window.

Our pal Shane flew one handed by necessity and did some really cool stuff.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DaveH
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 03:05 PM »

good point, Allen.  I like the comment about correcting constantly to keep things lined up.  Good stuff.   we all need to work on that.
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 03:33 PM »

Simply put, it'll come with practice.

I can't imagine trying to do Flic Flac's with my hand together. I sweep my hands at my side.

Of course, YMMV.

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 03:47 PM »

thanx for that randy !! with my hands together i got uncomfortably close to a sensitive area..  maybe its the kite but i need to sweep my hands back also
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:20 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 04:39 PM »

thanx for that randy !! with my hands together i got uncomfortably close to a sensitive area..  maybe its the kite but i need to sweep my hands back also

As you get older you'll find that muscle memory really does come into play Huh I don't believe I've come close to hitting myself in that sensitive region,  in let's say, thirty or more years.  However one word of caution.........never stand within three feet directly behind a dual line flyer.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
EBGB

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 07:16 PM »

When you pancake a kite, the only leg of the bridle that's doing anything is the uphaul.
So your lines are suddenly attached to the kite very close to each other. A small movement on a short "arm" makes for a larger movement of the kite.

It'll come with practice (as others have said), it's just touchier than it might seem.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 12:39 AM »

When you pancake a kite, the only leg of the bridle that's doing anything is the uphaul.
So your lines are suddenly attached to the kite very close to each other. A small movement on a short "arm" makes for a larger movement of the kite.

It'll come with practice (as others have said), it's just touchier than it might seem.

Very insightful...something I hadn't fully seen till you posted.   Cool

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
jaydub

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 05:55 AM »

Very insightful...something I hadn't fully seen till you posted.   Cool

obi
Nor me.  It certainly helps explain why I have such problems with consistent flic flacs.  Undecided
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:57 AM by jaydub » Logged
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 06:19 AM »

And too one can over-think this stuff. I've been guilty from time to time. Roll Eyes Huh

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document