GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 06:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: flic- flacs  (Read 6925 times)
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 08:01 AM »

something that hasen't been mentioned is the entry. If the vertical dive is truly vertical the wings will enter the trick level.  If not its out of shape right out of the gate..  This is a good case for longer lines when learning this trick.  Gives you more time to line things up.
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 09:58 AM »

Because winds are never steady (at least wherever I've flown Angry ) it is really hard to get them to go for long without corrective measures.
A straight entry and keeping your lines perfectly even does help a lot. To get more than just a few repetitions, you will need to figure out how to right it when it becomes a bit skewed. This is done by really small movements throughout. It is really hard for me to explain, maybe someone else can explain this better.
I recommend just experimenting with location, direction, and intensity of corrective input. Eventually you will figure it out. Figuring out how to do this sort of thing is half the fun  Smiley
EBGB

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 12:41 PM »

For fun, go the wrong way on purpose and see what happens.
By making your adjustments so that each repetition makes it lean further to one direction, you can get to where you're doing a flic-flac sideways.
The kite will drop pretty fast, since there's very little lifting surface left when it gets to 90 degrees, but it's kind of trippy looking.
Exiting with a sideways 540 is one of those "what the heck was that?" moments.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
Tom P

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 12:59 AM »

Roll Eyes

Here's an important tip:

If someone gives you a lot of flac... just flic it.

Excerpt lyrics from Rush:
Follow men's eyes as they look to the skies
The shifting shafts of shining weave the fabric of their dreams...
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 04:41 PM »

tried the 1 handed approach with my most stable kite the QP sul a little rough going but helped my entry and over correcting thanx KO

have fun kurt
benjai

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 04:57 PM »

It was mentioned above, but if your flic-flacs are consistently going off to the same side, check your line lengths. I did a few months ago after trying to get flic-flacs for a little while and found them an inch out. It was much easier after I corrected this. My flic-flacs still go off all over the place, so both my lines must be the wrong length  Wink

Something else I read or saw somewhere on correction, is to try to get the spine vertical between the fade and the flare - maybe it's more instinctive to correct through this position, as the kite is effectively in flying position (albeit nose down).

HTH
JeffD

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 02:50 AM »

I think sideways flic flacs are far cooler.

My biggest problem with ff's is I forget about doing them. Once in a while I  think "oh yeah I should flic ... oh screw it".

But now that I've been reminded about the sideways ones maybe I'll remember next time.

Thanks.
John Welden

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 08:08 PM »

Here on some tips for flic flacs.

1. Don't practice with bad technique or in crap winds and end up training your brain to not do them well. This goes for all tricks. 

2. Relax

3. Practice in the lightest winds you can manage to fly in.

4. Break the trick down and practice the individual elements.

A. Get good at fades.  Lay your kite nose away, face down. GENTLY and I mean gently pull back and pull the kite into a fade.  No popping, No snapping, no forcefulness.  See how lightly you can do it and more up to more aggressive. This is the exact same move you're going to be doing in the air to pull the kite from nose away into a fade.  Nice and gentle, nice and smooth.  Relax.

B. Practice down wind glides until you think you're good and then practice more. Developing good nose away control is key for flic flacs and many other tricks.  Trust me on this one.  Seems so simple and everyone thinks they can do it but can't really. 

If you can control your kite nose away, you can pull it into a fade without panicking or using too much force.

Avoid letting the kite go too nose high when you flare (nose away) Fly into the flare, don't bang into it.  Decelerate into a nice clean nose away position. 

Gently pull into the fade just like you practiced on the ground. Exact same move.  If you go smooth and gentle, the kite won't bang into the lines and get out of control in the fade. 

One of the most key elements, especially in light winds is to let the nose rise in the fade before letting it out into the flare.  Remember, up to go down.  There doesn't need to be any popping nonsense or running around.

Start out with minimal inputs and work up to ultra aggressive not the other away around. 
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 06:03 PM »

Sounds like some good info here, now just have to wait for the wind to stetle down a bit. Thanks JW

WD

WinterDaze AoF
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 06:36 PM »

When I was first learning them the one tip I got that really helped was:

Set the fade before you continue, then flic out, set the fade, then flic out, etc.  by hoding the fade you can get some rise which helps, what happens with flic/flacs near the ground unless in you are in very low winds ... OOOUUUCCCHHH.

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
chrispie

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 06:08 AM »

Since this thread is about FlicFlac, I would like to ask about the Fade..

So far i can get into a fade from the ground, the the kite nose away, belly down; or from a flare into a fade.. and here is the problem...

Once the kite goes into the fade (kite already horizontal), often than not it suddenly dives down into the ground and not maintaining the fade position. What am i doing wrong? Am i giving it too much tension too prematurely?

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 06:40 AM »

The holding of a fade is what often separates the good ones from the hacks.  It's difficult for everyone at first.

Simple rules, but harder to impliment in the beginning:

1.  Nose falls, give even slack.
2.  Nose rises, give tension.

As you maintain the fade, the closer these values +/- remain to zero (neither tension nor slack), the better.  Holding the fade is an ULTRA subtle art.  When you get better, play with uneven slack and tension to see how the fade responds, and what possibilities this opens (like initiating backspins, for example). 

That being said, another good place to put some of your practice energy is into the 'fractured axel to fade' manuever.  Getting to the fade from a flare is a first step, but in the end, pretty useless once you master the FAtoF.

obi 

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 10:42 AM »

If the kite is suddenly powering up out of a Fade you have too much tension on the lines. Holding a Fade, especially in uneven winds, requires lots of adjustments. Don't get too aggressive adjusting while in the Fade, be gentle / smooth with the inputs and watch the kite.

In smooth wind many kites will just sit there as long as you like.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 11:00 AM »

Flying in a fade for any length of time requires the pilot to work on their reverse flying skills. Left is right and right is left.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 05:03 PM »

and bumpy winds make holding a fade for any great length of tmie much more difficult.

Fdeli
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document