GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 12:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liberty Monday 11/16/09  (Read 4311 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: November 15, 2009, 09:25 AM »

One more time..

Noon - 3PM unless the wind is really nice, then Sundown.

Winds N 8-11mph, temps in the low 60s, mostly sunny.

PM or email for phone number.

Looking to be on the main (Ellis Island) field but conditions on the ground may dictate being somewhere else.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 10:17 AM »

How long do you East Coast boys have to drive to go fly?

Although flying on Ellis Island does sound very cool.  Cool

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:23 PM »

It's not so much how long as it is through what. Traffic can be quite trying in the Tri-State region.

The field is not on Ellis Island but just W of it on the mainland. The way that Liberty is laid out makes it easier to locate fields in relation to Ellis and other local landmarks.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 06:14 PM »

How long do you East Coast boys have to drive to go fly?

Although flying on Ellis Island does sound very cool.  Cool
Liberty would be maybe 60 miles from my house, but would take every bit of 2 hours to get there on a good day. Luckily, I don't have to go further than 5 minutes for a good spot to fly.

I'll be so close tomorrow, my first and only job is in Bayridge, but it's such a nightmare to get to Liberty from there, I'll be looking for another field on my way back east. Too bad it's a north wind, I rarely get to fly on the south shore.

~Rob.

temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 07:00 PM »

The rev riders flew there today.   we flew all day from 1030 till about 4pm it was a lot of fun ok winds a lil light in the morning and then about 2pm it was really nice and we put a show on for people and practiced some kool looking stuff.

It takes about 40min from my home to get to libery state park. i live 2 miles to the bay to fish and i live 10 min to a beach to fly.  Our crazy state loves to do road work on sunday so traffic is nuts and bc its right next to the Airport its even worse.
  To bad i am working tommorrow or i would show up and fly with you .  The play ground is the best are to fly.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 08:17 PM »

I think we may end up by the playground (restrooms).
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 05:42 AM »

I have to drive around 1.5 hours to fly anywhere good, either Liberty in NJ or Harkness SP out in eastern CT.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:19 AM »

This turned out to be quite a nice day, although my teeny girlie man wrists are a tad sore Today. Haven't flown for a full 8 Hours straight (or Really Large Kites™) in a long time.  Huh

We had Five people out on the playground field if you count the Two Rev fliers who showed up later in the day.  Cheesy Wink

This is definitely the best place to fly with the wind out of the N, NW out there.

Got to fly Bob's Team Next Up, Thank You Bob. Nice kite. Bit surprised to get the chance; there can't be too many of these floating around The States. Also a Fearless for the first time - another nice kite. Thanks to Bob also.

You get the impression Bob has a nice kite bag? Lol?!  Grin

And then there was the Acro courtesy of Tom, Thank You Sir. First time for one of those as well, very nice in an spiny, spin, spin sort of a way but with very good new style tricking capabilities.
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 10:32 AM »

We had Five people out on the playground field if you count the Two Rev fliers who showed up later in the day.  Cheesy Wink

So 3 people then.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 09:31 PM »

Well.. yeah... Isn't that what I wrote?  Roll Eyes Cheesy Wink
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 05:05 AM »

It was Jim, Tom, and me flying duals and two people flying Revs.

The wind was real nice - not the higher wind I was expecting. Tom had his wind meter and it varied from about 6 mph to about 11 mph.

It was great to try some different kites! Thanks, Jim! The L'Atelier xt.z is a very interesting smaller kite (I expected it to be bigger). It's got a shorter spine and not as big as the xt.r. Jim said that you have to watch the slack because it doesn't take anything to slack it. Once I got the hang of it, it's actually pretty fun! (I think Jim had 150 lb line on it too.) I also got to fly his xt.s - now that's a super-sized big, slow kite! Jim wasn't kidding when he said that it takes big inputs. You can't bang out Jacobs Ladders with it - you have to wait for it to catch up. I ALSO got to try Jim's Krystal FX. That's a nice kite and smaller than I had expected too. I guess it's kind of like the Nirvana FX in relative size.

Out of the three, I think the xt.z was the most fun because it slacks so easily. I'm struggling with the Next Up because it needs such big inputs and I'm a smaller kind of guy. I have to really work it. It's a beautiful kite and I'm waiting for my skills to improve to grow into it. Jim said that it doesn't hand out tricks and he's right.

I even had time to fly my own kites - the Next Up and the Deep Space. I really like the Deep Space because it's another kite that doesn't pull hard. And even though the Transfer xt.s does have a stronger pull, I'm getting more inclined to spend more time with my Transfer xt.r's in my bag. They are really fun for rotational tricks!

It was a great day - great temps (60s), decent wind, and good company. Thanks, guys!

Bob D.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 05:29 AM »

It was a nice day wasn't it Bob? Wink

The Krystal FX you flew actually belongs to Brewster. It's on long term loan to Jason S. and I asked him if I could borrow it for a bit.

It is a very nice kite to be sure.

I was thinking of getting one.
Bob D

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 10:52 AM »

It WAS a good day! So long as the wind is not from the northeast, LSP is a great spot! I'll have to try and get there on a Monday again.

Bob D.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 11:02 AM »

I'm trying to figure out if I can get out there on Thursdays sometimes if that is better for you.

We are going into the holiday schedule shortly which will have me working Mondays, so it may be a while before I'm able to get out there.

Embarrassed
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 02:18 PM by JimB » Logged
Bob D

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 06:23 AM »

I could probably get there on a Thursday afternoon once a month. I have to take 3 or 4 hours of personal time each time I go and it adds up. (I have every other Friday off though.)

You're welcome to sample my buffet of kites though. And anyone else who might be interested too. (Tom too.)

Bob D.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document