GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 03:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Flying Wings Insync Preview Now With A Review  (Read 4683 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: November 16, 2009, 01:42 AM »

Well, not really a preview.

The Insync has been out for a while now, but of all the new kites to come along from the larger manufacturers; this is the one I've wanted to like.

Besides being nice to look at, and of a decent size with its 7' 8" wingspan; it's a very interesting package with some unusual, as is typical for FW, treatments.

The nose, as an example, incorporates a reversed dihedral which forms a permanent billow to the sail.

The re-enforcement is done in a very clean and clever manner, most notably a Dacron panel incorporated into the trailing edge.

Overall construction is really very good, particularly for a kite at this price point, with very clean leading edge treatments around the fittings and tensioning la Lam.

It's a beefy kite at 12oz that promises to take a beating without complaint.

The flying.. Hmm bit of a snag there. The Insync has been designed with dual stand off and bridle settings which were a bit difficult to decipher from the murky and misleading photos provided in the accompanying brochure: not so much the bridle settings, more the stand off positions.

If there is one big let down,in the overall presentation, it is in the instructions. They are almost, but not quite, there. They need to be substantially clearer.

But having got that sorted.. I hope to get some time in on the kite, over the next few outings, and see if I can like it as much as I want to. And I really want to. It's a great package at the price.

Stay tuned for further updates.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 02:35 AM by JimB » Logged
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 02:27 AM »

thanks, I'm looking forward to your review. is the sail nylon or poly?
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 07:41 AM »

If there is one big let down,in the overall presentation, it is in the instructions. They are almost, but not quite, there. They need to be substantially clearer.

This is a shame, but not unsurprising; the Acrobatx instructions were maddening; the pictures didn't match the words, and the words were problematic to begin with; particularly the part about tensioning the wingtips.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:55 AM »

Looking forward to your thoughts Mr. Byrne. I only got to fly it in too light winds.

Several overall photos start at linked left photo below:
Several close-up detail photos start at linked right photo below:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:04 AM »

Sorry.

Missed this.

Poly and very nice fabric at this price point too.

JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:40 AM »

Okay.

It is time to proceed having now flown the kite in both medium-high wind (12-16mph) and low wind (2-4mph) verified by wind meter for approximately 15 Hours total.

First off, the dihedral: a non-issue. It is what it is.

Second, the "trick" versus "precision" settings: personally, I'd just leave it on "precision".

There doesn't seem to be any great "trick" advantage on the 'trick" settings. The kite feels just a little bit out of control on "trick".

Manufacturers always seem to get "trick" and "spinny" confused when providing these sorts of adjustments in my experience.

This will also solve the one build problem I've encountered with the Insync and may very well keep anyone who buys it from damaging the sail.

The sail standoff fittings are very thin-walled.

This is an issue because you adjust the set up by means of the Two standoff sets - one long and one short - that come with the kite attaching them with sail standoff fittings that are left in place on the trailing edge and then making the attendant bridle changes - Three point for "trick" and dynamic for "precision". 

I managed to crack one of the little suckers whilst messing about with "trick" and "precision". A JACO would not have failed in this way. The temps were in the Thirties in mitigation but still; if FW wants to provide adjustments like this then provisions should be made to cover this sort of thing. It was a "trick" fitting so no great loss IMO.

And do be careful if you are making the switch back and forth between the Two set ups. It would be very easy to run the sail through with a stand off.

No, that did not happen but it was a near thing. Again, best to pick your set up and stick with it.

One last thing, just to get it out of the way: when adjusting for low or high wind, use the knots provided at the upper leading edge. Adjusting the bridle at the AOA knot resulted in bridle hang ups on the Yo-Yo fittings. There is about Three cm of adjustment there. That's plenty. When the upper LE knots were used no further bridle hang ups were noticed.

The bag's nice except the upper pocket is too short to stick the extra standoffs in.

That concludes the negative portion of this review. Pretty minor all in all.

It comes with a kite keeper. All smoothed over?  Roll Eyes Smiley

How does it fly you ask? Right nice.

The Insync has a wide wind range, good sized window, tracks well, with a good deal of pull in higher wind. Speed control is very good.

It will over steer when the wind gets a bit too low but Three is plenty for this kite.

I had no issues with this kite as far as flying in different winds. It just flew. That may come across as, "D'uh, the kite flew. So what?", but the point I am trying to make is that it is very consistent in flight within a more than reasonable wind range. This was true on either of the Two set ups.

Tricks?

Sure thing.

But.

It's a bit digital in and out of the flair and fade. Not enough of a pull or release and you get nada.

I only mention it because it needs to be remembered: anywhere in a combo where the nose needs to come towards or go away, give it a little extra oompf. Then you can go on about your business.

In fact the initiating input for things like back spins or cascades or whatever needs to be fairly emphatic. The Insync does not respond to wrist flicks very well. Once under way it all goes along fine.

That is just a matter of getting used to the kite, not a negative or a positive observation.

The provided weight seems adequate under most conditions. You might want to add Ten Grams in higher winds.

Overall, The Insync is a very strong package. Line set, integrated leaders, weight, Yo-Yo stoppers. It's all there. Everything you need and nothing you don't except maybe the extra set up options.

Despite my comments on the very few issues I've encountered with the Insync, please don't come away thinking there is anything shoddy in its overall construction or that the the set up is off. This is a very well built and designed kite that flies and tricks as well as anything in its class.

The price is very reasonable vis a vis the other offerings of this type on the market.

I do not generally fly package kites. When I do, I always ask myself this question:

"If I was on vacation, didn't have my usual, and needed a kite would I buy this?"

The Insync gets a big "Yes" to that.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:48 AM by JimB » Logged
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 10:09 PM »

Just to clarify the proper set up for this kite as there seems to be some confusion..

Trick:

Short stand offs set in the outermost and innermost (closest to the spine) sail stand off fittings.

Uphaul bridle line on the lowest knot at the upper leading edge adjustment point.

Inhaul bridle line set to the Three point position.

Precision:

Long stand offs in the Two outermost (furtherest from the spine) sail stand off fittings.

Uphaul bridle line set on the middle knot at the upper leading edge adjustment point.

Inhaul bridle line set to the Dynamic position.

I would encourage Flying Wings to make the factory (which happens to be the precision) setting the one and only setting for the Insync.

It would simplify things ever so much.

I count Three experienced kite fliers who have managed to get the set up for this kite wrong, after poking around and reading various things written about this kite, as well as having talked about the Insync a bit with a nameless (funny that) kite flier.

The positives?

1. Lowered cost of manufacture
2. The aforementioned simplification
3. Nobody likes to be embarrassed by not being able to set up a stupid kite.

The negatives?

1. None that I can think of..

Please do give it some thought.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:40 PM by JimB » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 12:11 AM »

Thanks for the review Jim.

Good work!

Sorry.

Missed this.

Poly and very nice fabric at this price point too.

Says Nylon on the GWTW store page and sure looks like nylon in John's closeup photos.

Nothing wrong with nylon on this kite, just clarifying.

Allen, AKA kitehead
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:47 AM »

I'll check that Allen.  Undecided

later.. I stand corrected. It is Nylon.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:54 AM by JimB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document