GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 05:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eBay, minor confusion with selling/shipping price/cost  (Read 1421 times)
Zeke
Trade Count: (0)
« on: November 17, 2009, 02:59 PM »

looking for an explanation:

seller #1 has a helicopter with an opening bid of  $59.99 , s/h is $10

seller #2 has the same item offered with an opening bid of  $.97, s/h is $69.99

both sellers are in the same area.

is there some sort of tax break on s/h or ?

The way it looks to me is, seller #1 is shipping USPS or parcel post;
seller #2 is going to buy a plane ticket for the package.

what gives??
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 03:03 PM »

The seller pays eBay its fee based on the sale price not on shipping.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 03:07 PM »

sounds like someone is not only trying to scam buyers, but ebay too.

Fdeli
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 03:41 PM »

You can specify whatever you like for shipping and HANDLING. (Handling being the operative word)

In a simple example, a music CD can be put into a small padded envelope, or wrapped in foam and put into a large box.  The cost of the packaging, and eventual size is decided by the seller.  This affects the mailing/courier costs.  And some sellers like to ensure the time they spend "handling" items is also paid for - their choice, I guess.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Charly
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 04:55 PM »

Something you might try is to do a search for that "helicopter" and when the results come up check "lowest to highest" price with shipping.

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 05:13 PM »

The high shipping prices scare me. For one thing, if for whatever reason, you have to get a refund, shipping is usually not refunded! Keep that in mind if you are not sure about the seller or if it seems too good to be true. Unfortunately, I speak from experience. I only got burned once and I do a huge amount of shopping online, but forewarned is better than going in blind.
Not to mention that they are trying to get around the fees. I just feel that if they feel like it's ok to do that, maybe it's ok to be "less than honest". The fees aren't that bad and frankly worth it for ease and sheer volume of potential buyers.

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Moe
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 05:59 PM »

The seller pays eBay its fee based on the sale price not on shipping.

Bingo.  Seller #2 is trying to avoid paying fees to eBay.  It's a $70 item; if they sell it for $70, they've got to pay, let's say $7 of that to eBay.  If they sell it for a buck and charge you $70 for shipping, then they only have to pay eBay ten cents.  This is a reportable offence, BTW, though it's not uncommon - seems to be used by a lot of Hong Kong-based eBay stores (in particular).

I *almost* bid on an item last week, in fact.  Starting big was $0.99.  The seller's info stated he was in the UK.  Shipping was listed at $50 USPS First Class International (though it would actually cost under $10 for that method), and the listing stated the item would be shipped from Asia.  British seller, American shipping, mailed from Asia...  Pretty fishy.  I asked if they had the correct shipping amount, and for clarification about their location and had a pretty terse reply.  Upshot being, they were trying to get around the listing fees by charging the full price via S&H.

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 06:06 PM »

I see many items with excessively high shipping cost, I always "ask a question" to the seller my most common replay is "if you don't like the shipping cost don't bid on the item"

I agree with Steve that the premium paid to E-Bay is from the selling price, if the item is "buy it now" and the price + shipping is still at or below what I would pay for the item I might purchase.

I have seen many items (used) that bidders run the price up then after adding shipping I could purchase "new" locally for less.

But then I don't understand why 6-10 people bid on a item in the first couple of days when the end of the auction isn't for another 4-6 days

Just my thoughts

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document