GWTW Forum
April 21, 2014, 08:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quad Handles  (Read 1402 times)
lilabner
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: November 18, 2009, 03:26 PM »

I did a search for Quad Handles & didn't come up with much, so here goes.
I just got a pair of SUL handles. I haven't had a chance to take em for a test drive yet.
PLEASE, explain to me what's going on with these babies. Are the longer bottoms going to give me greater angle on my Rev? I'm sure you understand what I'm asking. My leading edge being closer to me, bottom of the sail farther away, GIVING THE KITE MORE LIFT?Huh?

My 2nd question is: Why can't these handles be used on a Std or Vented???

Thanks Again
Ab

Formally known as Abster
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:01 PM »

longer to give you more throw...and thus more control.............
they can be used on other kites....but they just might make the kite too twitchy since it would be more finite movements that a bigger/higher wind kite does not need....

try it....def. try it....you might like it.....
i know rev flyers who only the shorter rev2 handles...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Jeepster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:39 PM »

I did a search for Quad Handles & didn't come up with much, so here goes.
I just got a pair of SUL handles. I haven't had a chance to take em for a test drive yet.
PLEASE, explain to me what's going on with these babies. Are the longer bottoms going to give me greater angle on my Rev? I'm sure you understand what I'm asking. My leading edge being closer to me, bottom of the sail farther away, GIVING THE KITE MORE LIFT?Huh?

My 2nd question is: Why can't these handles be used on a Std or Vented???

Thanks Again
Ab

The SUL handles are 15 inches long (measured along the tubing from end to end, not across the D-clips) ... they are said to improve low wind flying by giving larger deflections to the kite for normal hand movements.  The 15 inch handles, by yielding larger kite deflections, yield a more twitchy kite as the wind speed increases.  The standard handles are 13 inches long and seem to be a good compromise for most folks ... even on SUL kites.  The Rev II (about 80% the size of your SUL kite) comes with 11 inch handles to make it less twitchy and more controllable.  Again, many fliers use 13 inch handles on the Rev II.

Paul McMasters uses custom made 17 inch handles (measured across the gap ... must be about 19 inches along the tube)for the majority of his flying.  He's in an extremely low wind area for most of the year and claims that they really help.

I have some four foot Rev-like kites and made a set of 9 inch handles to calm them down.  I don't like the feel of the 9 inch handles, so instead use 11 inch handles for these kites.

So, although most fliers use the 13 inch handles, there are others who use the longer handles at least part time.  Nothing wrong with using any standard handle on any standard Rev kite.  Mix up your kites and your handles and see what appeals to your style of flying.  There is no one right answer ... just use what you're comfortable with and what helps you fly better.

Don't use standard handles on the Blast series though ... they're not strong enough.

Please come back and tell us what you think after trying out the handles for awhile.

Cheers,
Tom
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 07:52 PM »

Did you get these handles used?
Typically, most flyers will extend the length of the upper pigtails and use a shorter line on the bottom. Adjusting typically for a bit more braking than lift. Like the handles, again, it's a personal thing. (you might have an easy fix swapping the top and bottom leaders)

Adjusting... Jim Foster said it quite well to Denny on the revkites/forum about 2 years ago.  Wink

"Put your bottom lines on the first knot from the end away from the handle. Put your top lines on the third knot from the end away from the handle and see how that works. If you don't have enough forward, move the top lines to the fourth knot from the end. If you don't have enough brake, move your top lines to the second knot. Keep adjusting until your kite flies forward and backward without the handles being in either extreme position. The kite should idle, that's stay in one place not going up or down with the handles in the neutral position or slightly in the forward or up position. With the kite inverted, you should be able to put on the brakes and the kite should stop and be able to rise inverted if you have enough brake. If not, you need to lengthen the top lines or shorten the bottom lines one knot. Make sense?"

rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:39 AM »

I had a B series in China at a festival, maybe 8 flyers took a turn on it. Each one would fly a  moment bring the kite down and adjust the lines. Not the first flyer, each flyer. It just goes to show that almost everyone likes the handle and line set up a little different. The way to find yours is to fly and try.
Rob

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography