GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 06:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Friday deals?  (Read 3078 times)
oyehut1955
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: November 20, 2009, 07:22 AM »

any ideas of where to find a good desktop?  No vista..

Thanks,
debbie

"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string"

http://community.webshots.com/user/oyehut1955
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 09:42 AM »

try www.tigerdirect.com or www.newegg.com, i have bought lots of equipment from both with no issues

Sine Metu!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 02:45 PM »

There will definitely be Loss Leader Prices next Friday to get you into their store first. Google Black Friday Sales, there are usually sites with the adds posted early. Since our local newspaper saves money by NOT distributing all those adds Thanksgiving day (we usually only get about 20% of them) we've depended on those sites for the last 10 years.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:24 PM »

Black Friday sales sure offer low prices, but most of the time you need to be there the night before, supply's are limited, and you may get trampled. I have found equal value deals online that ship to my house without all the hassles.

Do you need a complete system? or just the computer? Some places are offering machines shipped w/Vista and a free upgrade to Win 7, so dont discount ones w/Vista, but verify the upgrade is offered, and its free.

One of the sites I scan for computers (name brand) is ww.edealinfo.com

Deals come and go quickly so you need to find one that suites your needs (and your budget) then order it, then stop looking.

A lot of the great deals involve a rebate which you must follow the instructions. But don't get scared off, they mostly require you fill out a form, attach proof of purchase, bar codes from the box, and be mailed within a certain time period.

I print out out the rebate form at the time of purchase and fill it out completely, print a mailing envelope and a extra copy of the receipt. I then read the requirements and list the items needed on the inside flap of the envelope. When the item arrives I cut out the barcode (or what is required) and check the items off the list, then re-read the requirements to be sure I have everything. I then scan (or copy) all the documents so I have a complete set for myself.

I then followup on the rebates from time to time if possible. After the rebate arrives I attach a copy of the check (of stub) to the rebate packet and file it with the item warranty/registration card and now I have a copy of purchase with warranty information.

If I ever get a post card or email that says the requirements were not met, I call and dispute their claim (remember the copies) and they have always validated the rebate while I am on the phone w/o any additional requirements'

Keep in mind they offer rebates because 90% of people don't bother or wait too long to mail it in.

Don't worry about waiting to burn-in the item, it is under warranty and they will replace any defective units.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

hedgewarden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:24 PM »

Be aware, however...

I believe it is common practice to refuse a returned item that has the bar-code removed from the packaging (exceptions, warranty issues.)

That is, it may be best to try the item before applying for the rebate.  If you like it well enough to keep it, send for the rebate.  Otherwise, return the item (if the seller allows that, as most do for 30 days or whatever) with the UPC intact on the packaging.

I think rebates with the UPC requirement, or *original* sales receipt requirement, are a sneaky way to compensate for people that are chronic returners.  Bump up the price a little, and give a nice discount to the serious buyers.

- Howard

No, this is my FIRST childhood.
kiteking

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 06:47 PM »

Be aware, however...

I believe it is common practice to refuse a returned item that has the bar-code removed from the packaging (exceptions, warranty issues.)

Agreed, But if your going to return it, why purchase it.

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 06:56 PM »

Be aware, however...

Agreed, But if your going to return it, why purchase it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it doesn't work, broken, DOA, etc. I for one have even had a DVD brand new in the factory shrink wrap actually not play on any player I had! Exchanged it and the next one worked fine. Go figure! Anyway, I think what he was getting at is you never know... Sad

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
kiteking

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 11:38 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it doesn't work, broken, DOA, etc. I for one have even had a DVD brand new in the factory shrink wrap actually not play on any player I had! Exchanged it and the next one worked fine. Go figure! Anyway, I think what he was getting at is you never know... Sad

Don't worry about waiting to burn-in the item, it is under warranty and they will replace any defective units.

I have had DOA's replaced even after the bar code has been removed. I just take the new product in my box. The DOA gets the new box.

An exchange is not a return, if the retail store gives you grief contact the MFG and they will be quick to correct the problem. They fear you might bad mouth them on a forum somewhere.

Seriously, if you are persistent (without getting nasty) most retailers will exchange the product, remember the customer is always right

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 03:34 AM »

any ideas of where to find a good desktop?  No vista..

Thanks,
debbie
Hi Debbie...
If you meant 'No Vista' as in you want XP, you can still order a 'Vista downgrade' from HP for business website. We've been setting a number of these machines up in the last few months, and they seem to be pretty good. I don't think they're too expensive, either.
I've been running both Vista (business) and Win7 (business) and haven't had any issues, other than getting 'legacy' hardware to work. Why aren't the manufacturers writing drivers for my 10 year old scanner ?!?  Cheesy
~Rob.

kiteking

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 07:10 AM »

Dirty Secrets of Black Friday 'Doorbusters'

From

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

kiteking

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 08:38 AM »

Debbie,

Here is a pretty good deal on a complete system..... comes with Windows7 no down-grade to XP

Dell Vostro 220s Slim Tower PC with 21" Monitor for $398 after $35 shipping fee. Base configuration includes a Pentium Dual-Core E5300 , Windows 7 Home Premium, 21.5" E2210H LCD Monitor, 2GB memory, DVD-ROM drive, 160GB hard drive.

Upgrade the CPU to a Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz and the hard drive to a 250GB, and you have a pretty nice low-profile PC with monitor for $493.

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 04:05 AM »

Don't forget about "Cyber Monday". That's the online version of Black Friday. Do a search on "2009 Cyber Monday" to see what offers are out there.

Bob D.
oyehut1955
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 01:43 PM »

thanks guys i decided not to wait and got a pretty good deal at outletpc.com with free shipping and no tax..

What are you guys going to hunting for?
Happy Thanksgiving

"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string"

http://community.webshots.com/user/oyehut1955
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 08:42 PM »

Gizmodo has a big list at http://gizmodo.com/5409460/black-friday-deals-the-only-list-you-need . I found out about it from Ashraf at www.dottech.org , one of my fave techie sites. (Of course, gizomodo is great, too!)

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change