GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 12:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YouTube Blocking  (Read 5350 times)
johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 16, 2009, 09:08 AM »

YouTube has caved into the music industry about use of copyrighted music on videos.  I just had one blocked on my channel.  They evidently have some sort of searching software that goes after videos based on on some characteristic.  The one I had block had been edited down and normalized but I had used the title of the music in the title of the video.

I am not sure why the music industry is interested in doing this as to me a private video that uses there music is a free promotion of that music.  But logic must not prevail in large decisions.

I suspect eventually a lot of our postings of kite ballet will suffer the same fate.  Most of us use copyrighted music and I am sure the number that has procured a liscense is near zero.  I think the same thing could theoretically apply to music for demo or for competition.

If you wanted a liscense how would get it?  I have no idea.

The other solution is to start using unliscensed music.  Probably a lot of that is pretty good.  Anyone have a suggestion for a good source?

John
Jim Foster

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:01 AM »

I am not sure why the music industry is interested in doing this as to me a private video that uses there music is a free promotion of that music.  But logic must not prevail in large decisions.

John

The same thing happens in our Street Rod hobby when people use the logo of a car maker in their trim or upholstery.  You would think that Chevrolet would want that "Bowtie" out their, not matter how it got there, but that is not the case.

A friend has a '40 Ford with a small block Chevy (mouse motor) with a very large blower.  For his birthday, his wife wanted to have the image of "Mighty Mouse" engraved on aluminum valve covers.  The engraver would not do the job without permission from the comic book company.  She got that permission, and my friend now has the valve covers.

These people own this stuff, and I they want to protect that ownership.  I guess that's what "Registered trade marks", copyrights, and patents are all about.

The crazy thing is, they will pay money to promote their stuff, but will not let you promote it for free with no profit.

Go figure...................

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
mdilucca
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:07 PM »

YouTube has caved into the music industry about use of copyrighted music on videos.  I just had one blocked on my channel.  They evidently have some sort of searching software that goes after videos based on on some characteristic.  The one I had block had been edited down and normalized but I had used the title of the music in the title of the video.

I suspect eventually a lot of our postings of kite ballet will suffer the same fate.  Most of us use copyrighted music and I am sure the number that has procured a liscense is near zero.  I think the same thing could theoretically apply to music for demo or for competition.

If you wanted a liscense how would get it?  I have no idea.

The other solution is to start using unliscensed music.  Probably a lot of that is pretty good.  Anyone have a suggestion for a good source?

John

Hey John, I also have one video blocked in which I included title and author of the song (free promo???).  Next time I won't mention were the music came from and give it a try.

Cheers
Mario

Watty

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 12:13 PM »

Yes, they had muted my old "U-High Talent Show" video, so I deleted it. Now I only use the royalty free music of Kevin MacLeod in my videos.

http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 12:50 PM »

YouTube employs music scanning at the upload stage. Not telling them won't help as they look through the music track and ID what they consider to be copyright infringements. How they then deal with it changes over time.

I had a Virtual Freestyle video muted because it had a portion of music from Spinal Tap in it. You could try to shift the music about with filters to trick the guardian but it depends how much trouble you wish to go to.

You can't use logic to try to justify music use = promotion = more sales. The music industry owns the music and wants to make money from it every single time. Which is, presently, their right.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
DaveH
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 03:02 PM »

Yup.  I've tried recently to put up some vids I had on youtube a couple of years ago that used other folk's music. No dice.  Doesn't matter if its in the title. 
Kitelife

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 03:45 PM »

I've had a couple good ones popped lately, including iQuad with Stairway to Heaven in Victoria and my Sea Devil video with Jungle Boogie.  :'(

Essentially, it stays up without audio, then presents you (the uploader) with the option to overlay one of their existing licensed tracks... You'll see this has been done with those two links.

Of course, there is a plethora of unlicensed music still in use on YouTube and there will continue to be... You can increase the likelihood of a video not being earmarked by avoiding usage of the band or song name in the file name and video description.

I'd imagine the view count is figured into their thresholds somehow, so anything that gets a certain amount of attention gets reviewed, or something like that.

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 04:08 PM »

I feel  so  dumb  about  this  but   don't  you  have  some  legal  right to the  music  use  if  you went out  and   purchased  a  cd  or  mp3  format  of  the  music?

Good air always Bobby
Jim Foster

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 04:09 PM »

I found this about Public Domain music.

http://www.pdinfo.com/index.php
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:19 PM by Jim Foster » Logged

Jim Foster

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 04:22 PM »

I feel  so  dumb  about  this  but   don't  you  have  some  legal  right to the  music  use  if  you went out  and   purchased  a  cd  or  mp3  format  of  the  music?

I think you have the legal right to listen to it as much as you like.  After that, ............................

Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 04:40 PM »

You have use of it for yourself, but not to duplicate it, which is essentially what putting it on youtube does.

I *think* that their logic is that some weird person might not buy a CD because they can hear all the music they want on youtube. I can't imagine that enough people would do that to outweigh the publicity, so hopefully there is some better reason...
johnfarl

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 04:59 PM »

Yes, they had muted my old "U-High Talent Show" video, so I deleted it. Now I only use the royalty free music of Kevin MacLeod in my videos.

http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/

Watty for a young man you are certainly wise.  I glanced at that site and it looks like that might work.  If the music industry has the will to block my vids on YT then I have the will not to use their music.  If there were a simple way to get a license it would be reasonable to pay a reasonable charge.  But they just seem to be NO oriented.

It looks like Incompetech asks for a donation for the download and from there you seem to be free to go.

I have been having fun making videos and sharing them,  so Mr. Watty thanks.

John
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 05:04 PM »

At present YouTube is blocking even legally uploaded music videos from the labels themselves being viewed from the UK  in a dispute over how much payment is due to watch/listen.

As I wrote before... the labels want to control how~when you listen to their music. Just because you paid for the CD~mp3 doesn't mean you own the music in any way, shape or form. And it certainly doesn't mean you should use it as the soundtrack to your video or flying display.

But everyone does. Undecided

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 05:09 PM »

ok  that  makes  sence  to  me   tripping  over  pennies  to  soend  dollars   but that  is  the  way the world is today  I  guess  Cheesy

Good air always Bobby
Sherman Myers

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 05:13 PM »

Just a question -- how does this differ from copying a (you pick the brand) kite without permission? We could make the same arguements, that it helps promote the kite ...

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document