GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 05:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YouTube Blocking  (Read 4986 times)
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 05:33 PM »

I see  your  Point  with  the  copying  of  a  kite  analogy and  I can also see how  it  is copying  of  the music.   but  then  when  I use   music  I purches to  compete with  is  that  the  same  or  only  if  I make  a video  of myself  with it  and post it to YT

Good air always Bobby
Watty
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 06:11 PM »

Watty for a young man you are certainly wise.  I glanced at that site and it looks like that might work.  If the music industry has the will to block my vids on YT then I have the will not to use their music.  If there were a simple way to get a license it would be reasonable to pay a reasonable charge.  But they just seem to be NO oriented.

It looks like Incompetech asks for a donation for the download and from there you seem to be free to go.

I have been having fun making videos and sharing them,  so Mr. Watty thanks.

John

Actually, John B. turned me onto this music. Wink

As for using music in a routine. I suppose that would be considered just as listening to the music and not copying it.

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 06:57 PM »

As for using music in a routine. I suppose that would be considered just as listening to the music and not copying it.
Are these publicly performed routines ? If so then you theoretically owe someone some money.

At the moment the PRS* wants car mechanics listening to a radio that could be overheard by someone else to pay performance royalties so blasting out your favourite soft rock while flying a kite about in an arena is certainly something they'd be interested in.

There's a world of difference between what people do and what they should be doing.

Mike,
*Performing Rights Society - UK agency that collects musician's royalties. Each nation has its own version.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
monkey

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 08:08 PM »

Are these publicly performed routines ? If so then you theoretically owe someone some money.

Most, if not all US festivals and UK festivals do pay music royalty amounts in order to "allow" for the music to be played.

david hathaway
www.iquad.ca
johnfarl

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 09:50 PM »

Ok here is a little more information.  My video used Talking Heads music which is owned by Warner Music Group.  Turns out this is a big fight between Google and WMG.

Here is an article that might clarify some things.  http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/12/21/in-dispute-warner-music-wmg-and-youtube-both-losers/
So if your music is not WMG you might be OK.

Do some checking on this and you find that this does not have a lot to do with copyright.  It is really a power play between two powerhouses.  I think the music corporations are in danger of going the way of newspapers, and buggy whips and dictaphone machines and greggs shorthand.

So maybe if we show some patience this little problem will go away.  The artists are probably not getting the best of this deal.  So I suspect they will be going more independent or some smart person will come up with a business model that fits todays technology.  Just hope they do it soon.

There are a bunch of YT vids on the subject but the one I saw was pretty well laced with expletives and not fit for Steves wonderful new forum layout.

John
zippy8
Board Moderator

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 10:08 PM »

Do some checking on this and you find that this does not have a lot to do with copyright.
Perhaps not but that is the stick being wielded here. The music labels hold the copyrights and thus the control over the music. It belongs to them.

So maybe if we show some patience this little problem will go away.
That is no kind of strategy Cheesy. This little spat will end one way or the other but who needs who more: the music companies getting their artists exposure via popular video channels or popular video channels getting material that draws in the punters ?

I dare say that the opinions of mere customers will matter not one jot.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Kitsu

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 10:35 PM »

Had an RC vid on YouTube using "Take It Off" by The Donnas muted. I went ahead and replaced it with one of their tracks (as JohnB mentioned doing in some of his videos).

Lately, I've been trying to find Creative Commons music for videos that I'm posting online. The Air and Space Museum indoor fly 2008 video used this, as did a recent kickball video I made.

I've found a lot of stuff on www.jamendo.com.
Make sure the Creative Commons license allows adaptation to use it in your video (you can search based on license, too).

~Andrew
Kantaxel

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 12:38 AM »

YouTube employs music scanning at the upload stage. Not telling them won't help as they look through the music track and ID what they consider to be copyright infringements. How they then deal with it changes over time.

I had a Virtual Freestyle video muted because it had a portion of music from Spinal Tap in it. You could try to shift the music about with filters to trick the guardian but it depends how much trouble you wish to go to.

You can't use logic to try to justify music use = promotion = more sales. The music industry owns the music and wants to make money from it every single time. Which is, presently, their right.

Mike.

Mike,
Not sure they do it at the upload stage with everything..........just had one muted after having been up and running for over three months....................with the band listed as music by '**********'

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 08:49 AM »

Just a question -- how does this differ from copying a (you pick the brand) kite without permission? We could make the same arguements, that it helps promote the kite ...

Just imagine the kite makers asking for a fee every time you used their kite in public or for a performance? That's probably a better analogy.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
DaveH
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 09:05 AM »

I just spent some time on the Jamendo free music site recommended above.  Found some nice stuff.  Problem is since that music is unknown to me I could spend hours looking for the right song.  I'm going to spend a little time here and there, trying to build a library of music I like for future vids.  At the moment it seems like one of the few reasonable alternatives.
Watty

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 02:17 PM »

Had an RC vid on YouTube using "Take It Off" by The Donnas muted. I went ahead and replaced it with one of their tracks (as JohnB mentioned doing in some of his videos).

Lately, I've been trying to find Creative Commons music for videos that I'm posting online. The Air and Space Museum indoor fly 2008 video used this, as did a recent kickball video I made.

I've found a lot of stuff on www.jamendo.com.
Make sure the Creative Commons license allows adaptation to use it in your video (you can search based on license, too).

~Andrew

Good find. I'm browsing through all of the fast techno type stuff, and I'm really liking this DJad guy.

WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 04:09 PM »

What about using local unsigned acts in your area that play at the local pubs and clubs?

Go and find someone you like and buy their CD, you could then ask them directly if it's OK to use their music. Could end up being mutually beneficial...

Thus removing the faceless corporation aspect... I know it's not the perfect solution, but you are, at tthe very least, going out and listening to some of the local music in your local area, all under the guise of 'research' Wink

WD

WinterDaze AoF
johnfarl

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 08:51 AM »

I am fairly sure the problem with YouTube blocking of music is Warner Music Group.  Here is a site with a list of the WMG's artists.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Music_Group_artists   I think if you avoid these artists you will be ok on the videos. 
benjai

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 09:56 AM »

I am fairly sure the problem with YouTube blocking of music is Warner Music Group.  Here is a site with a list of the WMG's artists.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Music_Group_artists   I think if you avoid these artists you will be ok on the videos. 

Nope - just had one of mine blocked after being sucessfully uploaded and running for over 9 months, but only recently was asked to name the artist and did so in the comments - BLOCKED... The artist in question was not signed, and as far as I know has never had any association with, WMG, yet WMG is stated by YouTube as the reason for the audio being disabled... The artist doesn't appear on the WMG artist list posted, and WMG isn't mentioned on their website...

Never mind... (how I feel - not the title of the record in question!)
Kantaxel

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 12:13 PM »

I agree with you Ben. We got one blocked after almost three months that isn't on the list either.  Seems it might be with WMG.....Sadly, repeated attempts to contact the artists have resulted in no responses/

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography