GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 03:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What defines a trick?  (Read 4369 times)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 06:00 AM »

Is it the pilots inputs or is it what the kite does? 
Oh yeah.... missed this bit  Roll Eyes

It's the kite. It's always the kite. If I Axel the kite whilst standing on one foot it is not a Pogo Axel. If I do it left handed it is not a Goofy Axel.

It's kite flying, not kite flier watching. And names will change as old moves that fall out of fashion are rediscovered afresh. No biggie.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 08:37 AM »

Hey,

You asked about the differences Obi.

Nobody was trying to teach you the 540, merely to explain where the differences in execution resulted in different names. And there are differences.

The Slot WAS a 540 variation.

I think Denny hit the changeover with the TP definition.

The Slot has become a 360.

So now they are Two different tricks. Or rather the 360 has become the Slot.

Good to know that in the Years ahead someone can have this sort of exchange over why the Slot and 360 are the same trick. Lol.

As far as which takes precedence, the kites movements are what matters.

I think the one thing that Dodd did that went the furtherest in dispelling these sorts of naming confusions was his more mundane descriptions on his tapes. It's much better to just say what the kite is doing rather than having the cute pet names. Of course, then he preceded to give a lot of tricks his own pet names.

So there you go.

A 540 flatspin is a 540 flatspin and a 360 flatspin is a 360 flatspin however they are done.

Really says it all without having to get into the "rigamarole"

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:39 AM by JimB » Logged
711jrp
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 02:03 PM »

Who said the vertical slot had to be going downward? I can't do a 540 going up, can someone point me in the direction of a video of a upward 540.

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 03:15 PM »

Really?  If can you do what you call a vertical slot while flying upward, get it on video.  I'd love to see it.  Then we can tell you why it's not a vertical slot machine, but much more likely an axel variation. 

But as you previously stated, I am just a guy who knows comparatively little in this company.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 03:38 PM »

Who said the vertical slot had to be going downward? I can't do a 540 going up, can someone point me in the direction of a video of a upward 540.

You can. But its a 540 lazy.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
711jrp

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 03:58 PM »

Really?  If can you do what you call a vertical slot while flying upward, get it on video.  I'd love to see it.  Then we can tell you why it's not a vertical slot machine, but much more likely an axel variation. 

But as you previously stated, I am just a guy who knows comparatively little in this company.

obi

Dodd had it one of his vids,He even went on about being able to do it at more angles than the 540.

Pete
John Welden

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2009, 09:42 AM »

So there you go.

A 540 flatspin is a 540 flatspin and a 360 flatspin is a 360 flatspin however they are done.

Really says it all without having to get into the "rigamarole"

I agree with Jim.

I think it's worth naming the basic moves and that's about it.  Every single trick is just a combination of the basics and there is no way people are going to agree on the names of a zillion of different combos. THe tricksparty guys have probably done the most to standardized names, but that's not saying much. 

What the hell ever happened to my reversing hash brownie combo?  What about the Christmas tree?  What about the Ekranoplan?
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2009, 04:26 PM »

What the hell ever happened to my reversing hash brownie combo?  What about the Christmas tree?  What about the Ekranoplan?

Their names were changed to protect the guilty Embarrassed
 Cheesy

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
bryan beasley

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2009, 04:00 AM »

Ain't that a Top-spin Pete? - or does that just go 360? Can't remember.
's like a lazy, 'cept the lines stay over the top of the LE.

Bryan
711jrp

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2009, 05:43 PM »

The top spin is like an inverted 540 Bryan, the slot gong up spins with the belly down like a normal slot i can't do them going dead straight up but very close say 11 or 1 o'clock.

Pete
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change