GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 10:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transition of the NTK Desire UL  (Read 739 times)
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: November 23, 2009, 09:45 PM »

I had a current model of New Techs Desire that was framed in all pultruded, and it only had 2 stand-offs.
I just  purchased an older one at has wrapped spreaders (g-force skinnys) and 3 stand-offs.

I can't wait to fly it and make my own comparisons but the older model looks as if it might be a better flyer, and the current changes might have been only for cost savings to the manufacturing.

Anyone flown both models and have their own comparisons?
I expect i'll have only vented weather for the next few weeks, since i'm anxious to try it out.  Undecided
Schook
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:17 AM »

I have the newer version of the Desire UL and it is framed in .1570 carbon.  Flys well in light wind but I find it extremely flexible and it takes a bit of adjustment for me and my heavy handed inputs before I can get the most out of it.

Here is something I copied off of the NTK forums long ago discussing some mods to the current Desire UL.  I was always going to do this but never got around to it.   It seems to confirm that your kites setup is one option or may have been a standard setup at one time.

Most recently, I've replaced the lower spreaders with Avia SUL Skinnys. I cut these to the same length as the stock spreaders (just be sure to cut the Skinny's on the narrower end that is tapering). I took a 4" solid carbon internal ferrule made for the skinny, and, with some dish soap as lubrication, I was able to slide it through the hole on the current center T. I glued one c clip onto each skinny near the thicker end (that is, the end that is at the center t) and then larksheaded a single rubber tensioning band to both skinnys just beyiond the c clip. This band then holds the lower spreaders snug against the center T. The only other thing you need are four spreader-to-standoff connectors for the lower spreader. The skinny will fit into the leading edge connectors that the kite currently has. The skinny is considerably stiffer than the stock spreaders, and I've found this set-up to make the kite a bit more trick friendly (but don't expect the difference to be radical).

Food for thought....

jim

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography