GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 08:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do You Answer?  (Read 2768 times)
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« on: November 24, 2009, 07:07 PM »

When someone asks me "how do you make that kite flip around like that?" I usually just say "Practice."
I need a snappier come back, like "Superior hand to eye coordination."

Or?Huh??.........

Rx
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 07:15 PM »

how about:
"A succession of flailing wrist motions coupled with an aire of confidence."

Fdeli
Jeepster

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 07:40 PM »

You could take the sarcastic approach:

Oh, it flips around like that naturally ... I'm trying to get it to fly smoothly.

Or the ridiculous approach:

Well, if you look closely just under the leading edge, you'll see the small gyro and electronic circuit board that I'm controlling through these fiber optic lines.

Or the honest approach:

I've practiced for about "X" years!!

Cheers,
Tom
kiten00b
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:04 PM »

I forgot to put the tail on it. Sad
ainokea

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 08:06 PM »

how about:
"A succession of flailing wrist motions coupled with an aire of confidence."

......and a bit of luck.  Grin

But for you Darren, you're just freakin' awesome and just full of natural talent.  Grin
It's to bad that majority of the forum members haven't seen you fly.
He's good folks, no joke. 

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 08:10 PM »

I carry a Micron with me as a demo kite. I explain how the kite will react with line inputs. If they get bored and walk away, I continue flying. If the seem interested, I hook them up with a line set and a thrasher kite and get them airborn.
More often than not, I get.. "oh that's nice".
Sarcastic responses are a turn off, although tempting, don't get the desired affect.
It's tough when in the zone to break out and teach, but I get a charge out of getting someone excited about kites.
Geo.

Say Good Night Dick
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 09:33 PM »

I tell them that I pay the kite maker extra to put the tricks in when he makes the kite.

6 kite tom
fidelio

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 11:41 PM »

ainokea, you're too kind. you're no lightweight yourself. i could (and hope to) learn volumes from your experience and friendship.

Fdeli
fidelio

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 11:47 PM »

When someone asks me "how do you make that kite flip around like that?" I usually just say "Practice."
beyond "practice, practice, practice" you could always give 'em another leonard bernstein quote:

"A work of art does not answer questions, it provokes them"

Fdeli
stapp59
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 02:31 AM »

I tell them it's like ice skating, skateboarding, or snowboarding.  Pretty easy to get the basic movements down. More effort and practice needed to learn advanced moves.
King-J

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 06:36 AM »

I had a very similar experience last Saturday when I was out at that new park flying, I had a lady walk up behind me right when I wrapped a wing tip, spinning and flipping around in the sky out of control trying to get it unwrapped before it hit the ground, and low and behold just before it hit the ground I was able to free it and fly off, she say "Wow that was neat, how did you make it do that, Your good at that", My comment back was "No I'm just a novice at this, but I'm trying to get better, you should see some of my friends, their he ones that can really make these thing Dance"
I'm with George I need to get a inexpensive kit to through in the bag, because an hour later I had this 5 year old little kid come up to me and ask "Can I fly that kite, I know how to fly kites" There I stand looking at the little Boy and then looking over at the $400.00 kite, I come up with the only thing I could think of Not right now I'm practicing for a competition.

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 12:54 PM »

Be alert when you are approached by anyone who expresses an interest. They don't necessarily want to hear you explain what you are doing, what they are really saying is, "You are doing what I want to do."
Every time you are approached by a person who expresses an interest, you have an opportunity to make a friend, to popularize our sport, or, at least to open a door. If you want to push kiting a little further into the spotlight, put your kite on the ground, ask if they fly or own a kite. Let them sell themselves on the sport rather than twisting their arm and selling the concept to them. Take them over to the kite and explain how it is constructed, break it down - just to show how easy it is to transport. Introduce yourself and offer a handshake. Tell them when they can find the kite crowd and invite them to join you. If they show up, make it a point to greet them and to introduce them to other fliers. This doesn't "work like a charm" but every so often, you will connect and make a friend as well as recruit a new flier. I can assure you that this approach does work - not every time - but those who return often become great friends and valuable members of whatever club or group you hang with. --- And you have to be prepared for the possibility that they will turn out to be a lot better than you ever were.   
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 01:15 PM »

I've often flown kites -- fighters and sport kites -- where there are lots of people walking by. What mostly shocks me is how FEW people seem at all interested. Even most of the kids hardly glance at the kites, or me! Of course, the exceptions are very interesting, and potential "recruits".

One maybe college-age guy stood behind me for a while when I was flying a fighter on a Florida beach (a bit north of the Bilmar, IIRC). After a few minutes, he'd totally figured it out!! "So the kite goes straight when you pull on the line, and spins around when you release it?" he asked!!! I was shocked. I forget if I even got to give him some website addresses, or anything else useful that might have gotten him "hooked". . .

Norm in Toronto
Jeepster

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 04:18 PM »

Well shucks, if you guys are going to take rxburner's posting serious and not have any fun with it, I'll add the serious part.

Here in the mid-west, kite flying is not something you see every day.  In fact, there are only a half dozen folks who I've seen participate in sport kite flying out of a population of 200,000 people.  One of the areas I fly at is a church alongside a major local highway.  That attracts quite a few watchers.  What I try to do is get them to come try the kite out.  If they show any interest, I give them the web addresses for Rev and for IKE.  I also direct them towards YouTube and any of the iQuad videos to see what it's like flying a Rev as part of a team.  I had plans to make up some cards with the addresses preprinted on them, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also try to exchange e-mail addresses.  That way they can get back in contact with me if they think of any questions later.  I also send them an e-mail later telling them about an upcoming festival that's nearby.

There is a downside with being so approachable though.  About two weeks ago a fellow stopped and showed some interest.  I showed him the kite, explained what it was made of, etc. etc, and got the handles in his hands for a few test flights.  But, then, he stayed and stayed ... talked my arm off about non-kite flying stuff.  Finally, I had to fly and talk at the same time or I'd of missed the remaining sunlight.

Cheers,
Tom

I still think telling them you've put helium in the rods to hold the kite up is a cooler approach though!!!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 04:24 PM »

I know what you mean about flying and talking.  I don't mind talking, but you can bet that if there is any sort of wind, I'm doing it WHILE I'm flying. 

In fact, some of my best times have been chatting with another flyer (usually about flying) and handing the kite back and forth as we fly - great way to learn alot of things quickly.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography