GWTW Forum
September 23, 2014, 11:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horizontal Passes (noob ???)  (Read 4866 times)
lilabner
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: November 30, 2009, 01:48 AM »

This probably/maybe should be in the noob section, but it is a quad Huh? Embarrassed Wink

When working on my  Horizontal Passes, my hands want to migrate from striaght up & down to a position parallel to the ground. SHOULD my hands stay in the up & down possition rather than parallel to the ground.

Let me also say I'm getting much, MUCH better @ not pulling  Grin

Thanks
Ab

Formally known as Abster
scott_of_melnsct
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 08:24 AM »

there's no problem changing hand positions as long as you don't try to follow your kite all the way around when you turn down.  If you do, your arms will have to wrap around each other in a rather painful and impossible manner.

Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:29 AM »

On a low wind day a horizontal pass could look almost as if you had an bow cocked ready to release the arrow. Get the idea?

If you're comfortable hands hortizontal and the kite is doing what you want, that works too.  Wink

You got a hover down yet, or done any inverted slides?

Just like dual line, videos and flying with others helps a bunch

Smiley
lilabner

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 01:06 PM »

On a low wind day a horizontal pass could look almost as if you had an bow cocked ready to release the arrow. Get the idea?

You got a hover down yet, or done any inverted slides?
 Smiley

So it's ok ta pull  Huh ok

Hover uhhhhhh no Embarrassed INVERTED SLIDE??? Shocked I don't even have a slide down  Cry  But I'll get to it Wink

Formally known as Abster
scott_of_melnsct

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 02:01 PM »

You're likely to get better and more advice on the Revolution forum. 

http://www.revkites.com/forum/

Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
Dano

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 02:32 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out Scott.  Wink

I missed the detail of his question. "HANDS"

Hands parallel to the ground in a horizontal flight. Perfect!

Roll Eyes
lilabner

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:25 PM »

Thanks guys, appreciate da help

Formally known as Abster
Watty

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 01:50 PM »

This probably/maybe should be in the noob section, but it is a quad Huh? Embarrassed Wink

When working on my  Horizontal Passes, my hands want to migrate from striaght up & down to a position parallel to the ground. SHOULD my hands stay in the up & down possition rather than parallel to the ground.

Let me also say I'm getting much, MUCH better @ not pulling  Grin

Thanks
Ab

This sounds about right. I for one, am not very consistant with this, sometimes, I have my hands turned with the kite, and other times I have both my thumbs pointing in. I figure as long as the kite is doing the right thing, you could be upside down balancing on a beach ball, and it does not matter.

xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 05:46 PM »

... you could be upside down balancing on a beach ball, and it does not matter.
Can you get a video of that? That would be so sweet!  Cheesy

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Watty

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 06:24 PM »

I can make no promises Tongue

imarche
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 09:14 PM »

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the position is comfortable for you. I tend to have my top hand parallet and bottom hand vertical in light winds. Makes horizontal ground pass easier since you'd have to pull your top hand in to keep the kite in horizontal flight.

Jeepster

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 08:13 AM »

New items for conversation ...

Item 1)  I found that it was easier to learn to hover inverted with the handles held parallel to the ground.  My mistake was holding the handles too far apart.  If you watch the Victoria Remix video, you'll notice that, for the most part, the iQuad team holds their handles reasonably close together and down in front of themselves.
Victoria Remix

Holding the handles close together yields better control of the kite during maneuvers.  Try this the next time you're flying: Put the kite into an upright hover in the middle of the wind window and do the following ...

a)  Holding the handles far apart, rotate your body a few degrees. 

b)  Now holding the handles close together (in front of yourself), rotate your body the same amount.

Which position of the handles yielded the greatest upset to the kite?

For me, learning to hold the handles (the top lines) closer together has resulted in improved control!!

Item 2)  For sideways hovers, I hold the bottom handle vertical and the top handle parallel to the ground.  For each rotational position of the kite, I try to hold the handles the same way every time!  Learning to fly automatically, without thinking, is mostly muscle memory, so give your muscles the same movement/position to remember and it becomes easier.

If you're a natural, no problem, do whatever you want.  But, if you have to really work at it, like I do, then you might try the two suggested ideas.

Cheers,
Tom
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 08:15 AM by Jeepster » Logged
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 10:38 AM »

Another suggestion...

Hold your hands close together and relaxed in front of your abdomen, then find a stable hover either upright or inverted.

Now without making any wrist or thumb input, gradually let your hands/arms relax so they drop closer to your crotch and the kite should start to slowly reverse... Going the other way, gradually raise your hands/arms until they're around the bottom of your rib cage (still in front of your body), the kite should be inclined to fly forward slightly.

What I'm outlining here is how much the position of your hands can influence the controls without making any significant change to the twisting and angles of your handles... Incorporating arm position allows you to make smaller, more refined inputs. Wink

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Dano

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 02:22 PM »

"Food for Thought"   Thanks John!  Wink
lilabner

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 03:35 PM »

What I'm outlining here is how much the position of your hands can influence the controls without making any significant change to the twisting and angles of your handles... Incorporating arm position allows you to make smaller, more refined inputs. Wink

Thanks John

On a slightly different note:
Might I add how much you look like Dale Earnhardt Jr. in your avitar  Grin

Formally known as Abster
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document