GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 05:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reframing a Transfer XTR Standard into a UL (Unleaded)?  (Read 1723 times)
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: November 30, 2009, 05:56 AM »

Hi,

I have a Transfer XTR Standard that I would like to reframe it down to the UL (Unleaded) specs. For those with both or in the know, need your advice.

• Can I simply switch out the framing? The UL if I understand correctly, is 3PTs all around (Both leading edges, lower spreaders, spine). Is the upper spreader the same as the XTR Standard? Is it 6mm structil?
  • Both the standoffs for the Standard and UL, are they same same length? Understand both are 3mm
  • Are the bridle measurements the same for both?

I understand that the sail and reinforcement material as well as the bridle line is heavier in a standard sail compared to a UL sail and I'm willing to go with the weight different if I do reframe it down, no problem.

Thanks in advance!
Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:54 AM »

Hello Darryl,

I have a Transfer XTR Standard that I would like to reframe it down to the UL (Unleaded) specs. For those with both or in the know, need your advice.

Can I simply switch out the framing? The UL if I understand correctly, is 3PTs all around (Both leading edges, lower spreaders, spine).

- Leading Edge : 2 x SkyShark 3PT -> 76 cm
- Lower Spreaders : 2 x SkyShark 3PT -> 75.5 cm  (lenght for a R-SKY Center-T - 15 mm large)
- Spine : SkyShark 3PT -> 88.5 cm.

Don't forget to change the leading edge connectors. Use Tiny APA's.

Is the upper spreader the same as the XTR Standard? Is it 6mm structil?

No, it's 5 mm Structil -> 53.5 cm

Both the standoffs for the Standard and UL, are they same length? Understand both are 3mm

Yes, Avia Micro carbon 3 mm : 24.5 cm ext. and 25 cm int. + Atelier sail standoff connector.

With others sail standoff connector : total length between sail and LS -> 25.5 cm ext. and 26 cm int.

Are the bridle measurements the same for both?

Yes

I understand that the sail and reinforcement material as well as the bridle line is heavier in a standard sail compared to a UL sail and I'm willing to go with the weight different if I do reframe it down, no problem.

Sail is the same Icarex for both kites but the leading edge is spinnaker for the Transfer xt.r UnLeaded and Dacron for the standard version.

Bridle : Laser Pro 170 lbs for the standard xt.r and 100 lbs for the UnLeaded.
lasapcheong

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 03:48 PM »

That was extremely detailed more than what I am asking for. Thanks Tataouine!

-Darryl
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:46 PM by lasapcheong » Logged

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
711jrp
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:23 PM »

The unleaded also has a strange center T arrangement, if  I rember right it was 4mm fiberglass with plastic bushing to make up the gap to the 3pts.the kite would kinda flap at the T in flight.

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
Datenland

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:06 AM »

The unleaded also has a strange center T arrangement, if  I rember right it was 4mm fiberglass with plastic bushing to make up the gap to the 3pts.the kite would kinda flap at the T in flight.
No harm in keeping/replacing it with the regular T-piece.

You might want to keep the PT5 lower spreaders. Check for yourself, but with the PT3 I find the kite really lame. Weight difference should be something around 5 grams.
The major weight loss is through the connectors: Apa-spreader: Std is 5,6 grams, tiny is 1,85. Additionally, standoff-connector Apa 1,75, Jaco 0,8 grams.

You can easily fit a Jaco connector over the largest spreader by heating it a bit with a lighter. I like them much better, because the standoff-connectors are the major line-pinging item on a kite.

Erik
Michel

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 08:26 AM »

Hi Erik,

[..] Apa-spreader: Std is 5,6 grams, tiny is 1,85. Additionally, standoff-connector Apa 1,75, Jaco 0,8 grams.

You can easily fit a Jaco connector over the largest spreader by heating it a bit with a lighter. I like them much better, because the standoff-connectors are the major line-pinging item on a kite.

I have never seen the Jaco standoff-spreader connectors. Do you have a picture please ? Thanks !
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:28 AM by Tataouine » Logged
Datenland

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 09:12 AM »

I had a look at Bilbo, they don't have it, but they have the Jaco endcaps, so it might be worth to ask. If you haven't got another adress in France, you can get them at

http://www.ryll.de

Erik
Michel

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 09:51 AM »

OK Eric, I know these FSD/Jaco "Standoff Halter" available in black, white (transparent), yellow, red, orange and green.

But they are "Fr Stbe 5-6 x 3,2 mm" and as you said a bit hard to insert in the 3 or 5 PT SkyShark spreaders.

On the standoff side 3 mm, you have to insert the standoff without the protection endcap.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 10:13 AM »

Avia PINS:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Datenland

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 03:39 PM »

OK Eric, I know these FSD/Jaco "Standoff Halter" available in black, white (transparent), yellow, red, orange and green.

But they are "Fr Stbe 5-6 x 3,2 mm" and as you said a bit hard to insert in the 3 or 5 PT SkyShark spreaders.

On the standoff side 3 mm, you have to insert the standoff without the protection endcap.

Yes, true. But with the little heating trick I even got them easily over a PT5 Black Diamond. The standoffs I round and smooth with sandpaper to make them less dangerous for the sail. I really like them because it's one possibility less for the flying line to catch on the kite. Probably less of a problem when I learn to fly a bit cleaner...

Erik
Kareloh

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 03:49 AM »

I use the JACO connectors on both my Essence SUL (3pt) and Quartz (5pt).
I put them in boiling water for a while and the slide on very easily.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum