GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 08:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tell me about Rokkaku Kites  (Read 2155 times)
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: December 01, 2009, 07:04 AM »

So I've recently deviated a bit from my "two lines only" stance and picked up a couple of Gomberg Roks (one orange, one hot pink). 

I'm not really planning on battling with them, I just want to anchor them in the field and enjoy seeing them soar, trailing tails or laundry, while I fly my stunt kites down below.  Do those of you who fly single line kites tend to keep multiple weights of line on hand for each kite you plan to fly?  Right now, I've got a spool of 50#, a spool of 90# and a spool of 150#.  But if I want to fly two at the same time, in the same wind, I probably need to carry two spools of each of those weights, don't I?

When anchoring, should I use a loop of nylon webbing, larks-headed around my anchor, with a carabiner on the end?  And then I just wrap my flying line around the carabiner enough times to create tension and lock the line in place?

Any recommendations on gloves? 

Thanks!
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 07:23 AM »

i fly most of my roks on 150#.......and then to anchor i just larkshead the line to the anchor and then also wrap the line around that knot about 5 more times...no slipping there!
gloves? nah...not unless i am fighting.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Fore Check
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:18 AM »

How many spools of what weight of line depends on what you want to fly when you go to the field.   Wink

If you want to fly two kites at the same time that would use the same weight of line, then you probably need two spools.  I keep 3 or 4 spools each of 100# and 150# line with me in my field bag; those are pretty common line strengths for the kites I would anchor and leave relatively unattended (which you would do if you are flying 3 or 4 kites that way; you can only tend the line of one kite at a time unless you have help.)  The bigger stuff I don't usually fly more than one of at once - not only for safety, but the bigger kites are worth more and/or took more effort to build and I would rather keep a closer eye on them.  Not to say I wouldn't have some smaller kites up too - know what I mean?

The anchoring method you describe I use a lot.  Others have their preferred methods.  I'll also wrap lighter line (200# or less) around things like tree branches, vehicle rear-view mirrors, and pegs driven into the ground in the same way you're describing wrapping it on the caribeaner. 

Regarding gloves:  I always wear them.  I seem to get line burn every time when I don't.  I may only use them when launching and retreiving and put them in my hip pocket when the kites are anchored, but always when I'm handling the line.  Even more important on lighter line which is smaller diameter.
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:45 PM »

Hi Jared, How big are the spools of line you have? Do you have enough lenght to make two or more line sets from a spool? I rarely fly any of my slk on more than 200', most of the time only 100 - 150'. Regarding gloves and anchors, it depends on the kite and the wind. Usually if flying at Lake Crabtree, the winds are light enough that a carabiner larksheaded to the line  and clipped to the kite bag is enough. I keep gloves available, always leather. Be carefull of synthetic gloves, line can cut and burn those.
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 01:50 PM »

Thanks for all these tips.  Do any of you have a preferred brand of glove, or will any leather work glove I can find at a hardware store do?
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 02:01 PM »

I tend to use gloves with the finger tips open. Easier to tie knots with. I get mine in the exercise department in Wal Mart Wink

"Do what you like"
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 03:37 PM »

gloves: sailors with Kevlar palms.....fingerless so that I can still untie knots better with removing the gloves....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Fore Check

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 04:22 PM »

On gloves - I get what fits well and is made of leather.  I don't like the "gardener" style gloves with thick leather on the fingers and palms and thick denim on the back and cuff.  Otherwise, I get them wherever (WalMart, Lowes, Tractor Supply) and discard them when I wear them out.  I usually go through 2-3 pair per year.  Yes, I wear holes in them from the line sliding around my fingers and such (I wrap the line around my fingers to act as a brake when I'm working a kite in finnicky wind) and - strangely - I tend to wear out the tip of the thumb too.  Not sure why - I think it's mostly from winding the line on the spool (hard to explain, but it's how I grip the line when reeling it in)
Stuntman
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 05:02 PM »

I like cycling gloves with thin leather palms. Good for power kiting and cycling as well (two of my other favourite activities). Light and breathable with open finger tips. And they also protect the backs of your hands from the sun.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 08:55 PM »

If the wind isn't too high I'll usually forget about leashes and caribiners and just Larks head the line directly to the stake, a single larks head works with light pulling kites Roks will usually get two. Slide whatever method you use as close to the ground as possible so the line has no leverage on the stake. Never lost a kite yet with this simple method. Light pulling kites just get a golf ball stake, nice because you can pull the stake and slip the line right off the smooth rod. Heavier pulling kites get a re-bar stake or a cement form stake.

I always have gloves, don't always use them, sometimes to my regret. I just use gardening gloves, full leather, from the farm supply store. Most important is to try them all on to find a nice fitting pair that bends with you, too long of fingers hanging off your fingertips will inevitably get caught up in the line or grabbed with your other hand and pull the glove off. Fingerless would be nice and I use those for work but I haven't found anything in heavy leather. When I do remember to grab gloves I'm handling something with 100 lbs + pull and that requires heavy leather that will spread out the force of the line that is wrapped around my hands.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum