GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 08:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cascade  (Read 6700 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: December 03, 2009, 06:01 PM »

hi all i am having a great time now with the JL and and combinations thereof any way i CANNOT seem to get the inputs for the cascade. i have watched randy and martins vids and have what i think is a really smooth 1/2 axle   any help?? thanx KO ps fearlesses

have fun kurt
Jared

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:03 PM »

Foot movement is important; in all but the lightest winds, you'll need to walk forward as you do your cascade.

It seems like every kite is different, some can do a cascade with two inputs, others need three.  If you've got a Quantum Pro available, it's one of the best kites on which to learn the cascade.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:58 PM »

Call me crazy, but I find that I do them best if I move my head with the kite as it moves (center, cocked right, stop, center, cocked left, stop, center, ....).

Thinking about the movements in this way helps he to get the inputs right.  For my money, 3 inputs is the way to go.  lift, stop, pop, lift, stop, pop, etc.

Just keep at it, it will come.  Once you get it, you will wonder why it took so long!  (I did).  If you can watch someone else do it (their hands), that really helps.

6 kite tom
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:27 PM »

Get rid of the idea that it has anything to do with the 1/2 Axel. A kite like the E2 will "One Pop" and is a good place to start. Your Fearless kites like "Two Pops" and it is very rhythmic.
As with any trick, the key for me is visualization. Once I can see the trick in my minds eye, laying in bed at night, it becomes so much easier to make it happen in broad daylight.
Rx

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:29 PM by rxburner » Logged
anOldMan

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 01:46 AM »

Ko, First relax. The cascade is one of those tricks that will just happen and can't be forced. Jared is correct about the Q-Pro being a good kite to learn the cascade. The kite performs the trick very slowly and you can see and anticipate each input. If you do have a fearless kite, it will do the same think but you  will be able to speed the inputs up when  you the rhythm.

For the one pop cascade, as Rxburned said, the E2 and the Deep Space work very well. Just make sure that the nose of the kite is above level when you pop the kite.

Again, just relax and the trick will happen. Then you will start doing the cascade when you want to think about what to do next. Wink

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
ko

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 05:43 AM »

Again, just relax and the trick will happen. Then you will start doing the cascade when you want to think about what to do next. Wink
i am looking foward to this. i am trying to hard and that for me turns to frustration. but if flying was easy IMO it wouldnt be worth doing thank you all for the advice (i'll sleep on it)i will let you kmow thanx again KO

have fun kurt
Jared

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:49 AM »

i am looking foward to this. i am trying to hard and that for me turns to frustration. but if flying was easy IMO it wouldnt be worth doing thank you all for the advice (i'll sleep on it)i will let you kmow thanx again KO

anOldMan is right, I neglected to mention how long I was struggling with the cascade myself.  The important thing is not to get burned out on trying; flying is supposed to be fun Smiley

ko

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 05:52 AM »

+1

have fun kurt
DaveH
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 06:58 AM »

My cascade is still a mess and very inconsistent. When it does work, however, it is because of some of the tips mentioned here.

Jerad mentioned foot work with is key to so much.  It gives you more control over windspeed and slack management. Guys who let their feet grow roots are giving up a lot.

The lift as tpatters talks about is really what helped me to relax a bit.  Using the lift input takes some of the pressure off the initial input, meaning that input isn't required to get the kite all the way around in position for the next input, if that makes any sense.  Once I knew this I could slow down and wait for it.  Just let it happen, as Anoldman said.  As I said I'm a long way from having it down.  But as I make progress, I find kites like the Nirvana and QP much easier to get that flow going. They seem to stay put and behave.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:57 AM by DaveH » Logged
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 07:46 AM »

Get rid of the idea that it has anything to do with the 1/2 Axel.

You care to elaborate? I can't see it as anything but reversing half axels.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tpatter

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 10:08 AM »

Cool tips - I think its only necessary to walk forward if you want the kite to drop.  You can do the cascade in pretty high wind and just stand there - they just won't drop (perhaps this is technically not a cascade?).   

We get pretty low winds here, but I am often walking backwards in order to get more sail pressure so that I can do them faster.

6 kite tom
anOldMan

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 10:26 AM »

Tis may sound stupid but here goes.

Start in a flare position.
pull a little with your right hand to get the left wing up and the nose facing left.
Now pop the right hand to pull the top wing to putting the kite into a flare position.
Now repeat with the right left hand.

You have just performed a cascade. Smiley

The cascade is a cycle of kite moves:
  • kite in flying position facing right or left,
  • flare, kite goes to a flare position,
  • kite goes to a flying position facing in the opposite direction,
  • kite goes to a flare position.

These moves continue as the kite is loosing altitude. (Or start in the flare position and repeat the change of positions.)

What Rxburner was saying is the Cascade is not a true half axel but point right ,flare, point left, flare, etc. or start at the flare... Wink

The cascade is sometimes taught this way.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:27 AM by anOldMan » Logged

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
jaydub

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 11:00 AM »

The cascade is sometimes taught this way.

And it was this this emphasis on the achieving the flare each time that made the cascade suddenly click with me.

I found it difficult to get out the habit of accelerating the kite out of a HA, until somebody explained it this way to me.
rxburner
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 12:42 PM »

The trick may be 2 half axels when you look at it, but the inputs are very different. If you just try to link the half axels you will never get it. The Cascade has it's own inputs and feel. So I say again, "Put the Half Axels out of your mind" when trying to learn the Cascade......
Once you learn it, you can blend the 2 tricks with a nice effect.
Just My Humble Opinon
Rx
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:45 PM by rxburner » Logged
tpatter

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 12:48 PM »

I agree - its for sure got its own feel.  Having said that, if you can do a solid half-axel, I think that you can pick up the cascade very easily.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change