GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 09:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cascade  (Read 6246 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 05:28 PM »

thanx  all! i am going to take AOM's explanation and some patience,throw in a little footwork get the 1/2axle out of my head and "wait for it" at the beach this weekend no matter what i will have a great time ps almost forgot i will be visualizing the trick tonight unless my girlfriend has other ideas

have fun kurt
ko

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 05:38 PM »

great help guys. i am now the proud owner of the cascade a very ugly cascade but with a little more work i will clean it up thanx again cuz there will be more KO
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:58 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Jared

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 07:13 PM »

great help guys. i am now the proud owner of the cascade a very ugly cascade but with a little more work i will clean it up thanx again cus there will be more KO

It only gets better from here, KO Smiley
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 08:19 PM »

It may have mentioned previously, my apologies if I'm repeating.

The cascade helps with ground recovery when flying at the low end of your kite's wind range. Practice holding the kite momentarily in the flare position before doing the next wing lift of the cascade. You can re-gain a step or two each time the kite flares. It's similar to a flare glide from the top of the window for ground recovery, only on a smaller scale.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 01:47 PM »

Glad you got it working. The cascade is a trick that just gave itself to me one day, I'm no master of it yet but like said above once you have the rythm down it becomes a rest move. I have my own idiosyncrasies when doing them but that's how they first appeared.

I swing my arms, down then up, the initiating pull at the bottom, the second input happens when I swing my arm up. It makes sense to me, your pulling the top wing down to get the flare, then lifting it to bring the kite back. then do the same with the opposite hand. That's the rythm, now find the walk speed which is dependent on the wind speed, sometimes backwards.

After the axel the cascade was the most gratifying to learn.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chrispie

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 04:33 PM »

So in conclusion, am i right to say the cascade is a 2 input trick on each side?

Kite in flare now;

1 - small pop on left hand to make nose face right
2 - big pop on right hand to flare it.

1 - small pop on right hand to make nose face left
2 - big pop on left to flare it once more.

and on and on and on....

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 09:33 AM »

I spent 9 month working on that trick and then one day it just happened.  Got it figured out pretty good now.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3835287/10478075

Get a clear picture of what the kite is supposed to be doing and then develop your method from there.  I found the trick to be all about the timing and it varies in different wind conditions and from kite to kite.  Some require the 2 pop method to get a crisp cascade others like just one pop.  What helped me was to take the one kite I semmed to be getting closest to success with and only work with that kite.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
ko

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 08:07 PM »

great stuff steve!! the muse looks fantastic and your no slouch either  thanx KO
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:24 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
benjai

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 01:42 AM »

Not quite - you've got the hands mixed up if you are starting from a flare... The first input lifts the wing (and ideally places it back a bit, ready for the second input - to the same wing... I've fixed this in the quote below...
So in conclusion, am i right to say the cascade is a 2 input trick on each side?

Kite in flare now;

1 - small pop on left hand to make nose face right
2 - big pop on left hand to flare it.

1 - small pop on right hand to make nose face left
2 - big pop on right to flare it once more.

and on and on and on....
benjai

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 01:45 AM »

Oh, and another thing to note - and it's been mentioned already in this thread, is that you often have to walk downwind to keep a cascade going. Perfect example is Steve's video - see how much ground was lost...
chrispie

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 02:05 AM »

Thanks Benjai.. will try it tmr... Cheesy

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
ko

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 09:41 AM »

hello chrispie take another look at an old mans reply #11 (i took it to the beach with me) he doesnt give inputs. this allowed me to visualize what the kite should be doing i already have the skills to get it there i just COULDNT put it together still gotta ways to go but it is a great trick  hope this helps KO

have fun kurt
Jimmer

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 02:49 PM »

I still haven't been able to do cascades yet, but here is a great vid from J.R.'s youtube site.   Starting at about 1 minute he does 94 cascades!  They are fast and slow, and low and high.  Talk about locking in muscle memory! Roll Eyes
http://www.youtube.com/user/jesperrdk#p/u/10/hX5MI7GvaZQ

Wish the winds and temps would cooperate around here so I could go out and practice! :'(
Jim
chrispie

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2009, 06:44 AM »

hello chrispie take another look at an old mans reply #11 (i took it to the beach with me) he doesnt give inputs. this allowed me to visualize what the kite should be doing i already have the skills to get it there i just COULDNT put it together still gotta ways to go but it is a great trick  hope this helps KO

hmm.. after reading.. im confused.. what he said is opp to what Benjai preached!

I was trying out today with my Genesis (Eolo, my very first trick kite) and that kite being small, only needs one input to make it face left and right with interjected flares in between... (cant fly the aiwave due to heavy wind)...

When the Widowmaker arrives.. sure going to be Very very different...

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
chrispie

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009, 06:54 AM »

I still haven't been able to do cascades yet, but here is a great vid from J.R.'s youtube site.   Starting at about 1 minute he does 94 cascades!  They are fast and slow, and low and high.  Talk about locking in muscle memory! Roll Eyes
http://www.youtube.com/user/jesperrdk#p/u/10/hX5MI7GvaZQ

Wish the winds and temps would cooperate around here so I could go out and practice! :'(
Jim

agree,,, mama74 is really good.. and his control of fades are just great.. i always find it a challeng to sustain a fade... not that hard to get a fade.. but really tough to make it stay there.

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document