GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 11:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Through The Years  (Read 2643 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: December 04, 2009, 09:48 AM »

The gentle evolution of a family, starting with 1988 using a film camera.

Clickable™ Link:

Peace.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 09:50 AM »

umm..in 1992 what is on your arm?Huh??

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 10:21 AM »

A knitted Monarch Butterfly of course. There is an annual Festival near the Natural Bridge. We purchased the knitted butterflies to help support the cause. Here is a little text lifted from another website.

Monarch Butterfly Natural Preserve
The park's Monarch Grove provides a temporary home for over 100,000 Monarchs each winter. From mid-October through the end of February, the Monarchs form a "city in the trees." The areas mild ocean air and eucalyptus grove provide a safe roost until spring. In the spring and summer, the butterflies live in the valley regions west of the Rocky Mountains where milkweed, the only plant a Monarch caterpillar eats, is plentiful.

The Monarch Grove has been declared a Natural Preserve, thus protecting the Monarchs and their winter habitat from human encroachment or harm. This is the only State Monarch Preserve in California. Access to the preserve area is limited to a handicap accessible boardwalk and observation area.

Monarchs begin arriving in October and most are gone by the first week of March. The grove contains eucalyptus trees which are located in a canyon, providing the Monarch needed shelter from the wind. These winter flowering trees are also a convenient food source for the butterfly. On chilly days when the temperature drops below 60 degrees, the butterflies cluster together in the eucalyptus trees for warmth.

The park maintains a demonstration milkweed patch where visitors may view Monarch eggs, caterpillars and chrysalides. For about half a year, milkweed is the Monarch's home, super market and maternity ward. The Monarch larva eats only the milkweed plant.

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 12:45 PM »

It's not Christmas without
  • cat eating trees/decorations  Cheesy
  • fiery explosions (?!?!)  Huh  Huh  Huh

ATB,
Sam
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 12:58 PM »

We always send along a letter which explains the events of the year.

The fiery explosions are from Winterblast held annually in Lake Havasu. 4 days of free fireworks where we sit way, way to close to Class A fireworks. We've gone the last 4 years. The Segway tour, jetski, and fireworks are all from those 4 days. We also fly kites during the day before the fireworks.

Come in 2010. It's Valentine's day weekend. The gas bombs are simply amazing from 150 feet away. The heat pushes everyone back in the 500 seat stands. It's very Americana.

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 01:16 PM »

The fiery explosions are from Winterblast held annually in Lake Havasu. 4 days of free fireworks where we sit way, way to close to Class A fireworks. We've gone the last 4 years. The Segway tour, jetski, and fireworks are all from those 4 days. We also fly kites during the day before the fireworks.

I figured it was something like that.

One of the haunted house I used to go to had a dragon on the roof that periodically breathed large gas fireballs.  Warmed the place up even in late October.  Sight and sound scared the bejeebers out of people if they weren't expecting it, as the dragon wasn't particularly visible on the roof, until....

Like fireworks.... not crowds so much.

I helped my friend with community fireworks  (4th of July) for a few years when I lived in TX.  Funny thing is if you are doing it (might not be true for shows using electronic consoles), you really don't see much of the show, even though you are right on top of it.   You basically spend the day burying mortars all day, doing the show and digging the mortars out after the show.... sunrise to midnight. 

Safety note: If you accidently load a 5 inch shell into a 6 inch mortar, it has zero directional stability when exitting the muzzle of the mortar. 
Safety note addendum: Denim has a surprisingly low flashpoint.   Huh  Huh

Ahhhhh.... the things you get away with when you are younger.

Thanks for the pictures... nice to see the life arc.... hence the nostalgic thoughts.

ATB,
Sam
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 02:39 PM »

Y'all looked like a pretty normal family 'till 2001.  Smiley

Things obviously got interesting that year.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Beachbum
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 02:58 PM »

1992 looks like Santa Cruz...

EDIT: Doh, captions...

Though I have to say 1993 doesn't look anything like Monterey.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 08:01 AM »

John

How come Bamby never looks any older, it looks like the kids just grew taller to catch up with her.

Very nice project.

My next project is to scan a very large box of photos, and about 300 slides to get them digital.

Luckily my granddaughter Makenna has the digital advantage.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 09:08 AM »

Great looking family.  Fun to see what you looked like 80 years ago.
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 11:57 AM »

Yeah, that's what marriage will do to you.

You'll find out in a couple of decades.  Smiley

Charly
Trade Count: (+23)

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 09:55 PM »

John,
  Just one question.  How come Bambi's hair is always red while yours went from dark to VERY light???  I bet it is caused by being married to a red head...LOL  Nice project Godfather.

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 10:11 PM »

Why does it appear that Bambi is getting younger every year.  Perhaps it is just the contrast to that old guy she stands next to ... or could it be some variation on that Dorian Grey thing?
 Roll Eyes

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 10:38 PM »

thank you for sharing john this is a special time of year   KO

have fun kurt
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 11:49 PM »

Bambi is getting younger every year.

And to help her appear even younger, I bleach my dark hair white every few weeks and add makeup to my face to make the face lines stand out more.

Yeah, that's the ticket. (1 bonus point for knowing the SNL reference)

Mr. Hall, you put up with a lot from all of us in the peanut gallery. My thanks for giving us a virtual playground, although sometimes the terms of engagement get severely bent.

At the risk of being politcally incorrect....

This is a special time of year for sharing. Within my limited ability to understand what lies beyond this world, let me simply say, "God bless."  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum