GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 11:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do You Answer?  (Read 2881 times)
TGunn
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 04:45 PM »

I think the best sarcastic smart ass reply I ever heard any one say, was from Corey Jensen. Corey was flying a stunt kite on the beach one day, years ago. and had his head phones on flying and listening to music, After quite a lot of beach walkers stopped and asked the usual questions about the kite, Corey decided he would be creative with his replies. A woman walked up next to Corey and asked him how does the kite fly all over the sky, do loops, square turns, etc....? Corey, replied "Maam, it's very easy! The kite is controlled by voice activation, and see these headphones I'm wearing? Well, they also are the microphone, and there is a small device on the kite that makes the kite react to my voice commands. (All this time while he's explaining this to the woman, he has the kite landed on the ground) He, tells her that he will give her a demonstration. Corey says, "I'll show you a demonstration". Corey says "launch" and the kite flies straight up. Corey says "turn right" and the kite turns right. Corey goes thru several verbal commands and turns the kite to match his verbal commands. After a while, the woman was impressed, and actually belived that Corey's kite was controlled by voice control! LOL

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 06:01 PM »

Corey sarcastic? I can't imagine that. Perhaps he was referring to the voices in his head.

Say Good Night Dick
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 07:08 PM »

Cheesy troy, i could hear Corey's voice in my head as i read your post. it's like a transcript, his character is captured in the wording. thanks for the laugh.  Cheesy

Fdeli
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 11:26 PM »

Be alert when you are approached by anyone who expresses an interest. They don't necessarily want to hear you explain what you are doing, what they are really saying is, "You are doing what I want to do."
Every time you are approached by a person who expresses an interest, you have an opportunity to make a friend, to popularize our sport, or, at least to open a door. If you want to push kiting a little further into the spotlight, put your kite on the ground, ask if they fly or own a kite. Let them sell themselves on the sport rather than twisting their arm and selling the concept to them. Take them over to the kite and explain how it is constructed, break it down - just to show how easy it is to transport. Introduce yourself and offer a handshake. Tell them when they can find the kite crowd and invite them to join you. If they show up, make it a point to greet them and to introduce them to other fliers. This doesn't "work like a charm" but every so often, you will connect and make a friend as well as recruit a new flier. I can assure you that this approach does work - not every time - but those who return often become great friends and valuable members of whatever club or group you hang with. --- And you have to be prepared for the possibility that they will turn out to be a lot better than you ever were.   

I agree with this

I always have a "trainer" kite in my bag for teaching interested onlookers. I even carry "give away" kites and line for little ones. I keep an eye out at the Dime,hardware,grocery stores at the end on the "season" deals 2-5 bucks and buy as many as I can then give them to kids/parents

I dont have a problem landing and expressing my kite passion. I will always get another chance to fly, but may not get another chance to introduce this person to this great sport.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Jeepster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 07:59 AM »

Also, a question for Jeepster....6 flyers out of 200,000 ?

Sport kite fliers!!!  Lots of kids and kites, but not too many sport kite fliers.

There seems to be something about beaches and kites ... look where most of the big kite shops are located.  We're 150 miles from the nearest beach ... a Great Lakes beach at that.  Thus, folks don't get to see others flying sport kites and catch the nylon/poly virus. 

I traveled 50 miles to a kite festival to see my first Rev flying.  Big Mike put a set of handles in my hand and I was hooked ... first Rev arrived in the big brown kite truck six days later.  Out flying one day and a gentleman stopped to talk with me.  He was a dual line flier who had an old Rev that he couldn't get to fly anymore.  Well, a half hour later we had his kite flying ... he's now added two more Revs to his kite bag. 

I'm convinced that the nylon/poly virus is only passed on through physical contact.  Although IKE is providing more opportunities to capture new fliers, there still isn't as much visibility as an ocean beach provides.

Cheers,
Tom
Moonfog

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 10:30 AM »

I always have a "trainer" kite in my bag for teaching interested onlookers. I even carry "give away" kites and line for little ones. I keep an eye out at the Dime,hardware,grocery stores at the end on the "season" deals 2-5 bucks and buy as many as I can then give them to kids/parents

I dont have a problem landing and expressing my kite passion. I will always get another chance to fly, but may not get another chance to introduce this person to this great sport.

Wow, you truly are the Kite King!! Good on you!  Cool
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 12:38 PM »

Also, a question for Jeepster....6 flyers out of 200,000 ?

Thats' pretty good. Our metro area has about 4,000,000 and you'd be hard pressed to make a list of 50 active sport kite flyers.

Allen, AKA kitehead
john.m
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 07:17 AM »

"Mind power"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document