GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 12:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Dual line  (Read 8611 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 04:38 PM »

OK... not the biggest, but certainly is a lot of FUN !

[attachment deleted by admin]

ATLFlyer
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 04:53 PM »

I don't understand how some of you guys get and keep some of these beasts in the air without killing yourselves. Kudos to you. It looks like it would be fun but I'm having images of my arms being ripped from my body at the shoulders and being dragged down the flying field. Cheesy
portley777
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 07:05 PM »

There was a video on Youtube of a guy (maybe Dave) flying Thor's hammer in 20mph wind. At first glance it was moving as fast as a standard sized kite - until you realise that's it's a Thor. Very impressive and he must be pretty strong and heavy to only have been dragged as much as he was (feet first). I'll have another look when I get home.

Cheers,
Mike

kite a fly go
dagnabbit
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 07:10 PM »

Sweet, a Firestorm.  I've got one of those, it's a lot of fun to fly.  I think team TKO used to fly them as team kites.

The two things that really bug me are unfinished lists....
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 07:59 PM »

portley777, yes, thats dave!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 04:16 AM »

Sweet, a Firestorm.  I've got one of those, it's a lot of fun to fly.  I think team TKO used to fly them as team kites.
I really have to get my FS out and fly it, but it's one of those kites that you have to watch the wind with... it won't take much over 10mph.
And yes, mine is just like the ones team TKO used to fly, same colors.  Cool

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 09:37 AM »

Steady winds aren't that bad, its the gust that will hurt you. I have gone sliding in old reboks with no tread on them across wet grass. Shocked

padded straps are a must have to fly anything big for very long. Wide non padded straps are ok but tend to put my hands to sleep if i fly over 10 minutes. Sad

Sine Metu!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 12:44 PM »

Premier also produced the Apollo - 11' wingspan. A fantastic kite that tricks extremely well for it's size.  You do have to give it tons and tons of slack! Smiley Smiley

I think the Godfather has a couple pics of it when we had it out flying a while ago.

In all honesty, the Thor's Hammer doesn't really pull that hard (as compared to the power kites that we normally use for buggying / boarding).  I would rate the Thor's at around the same pull as a 4.5 meter quad line foil.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 12:47 PM »

I don't understand how some of you guys get and keep some of these beasts in the air without killing yourselves. Kudos to you. It looks like it would be fun but I'm having images of my arms being ripped from my body at the shoulders and being dragged down the flying field. Cheesy

Big kites often fly best in fairly low wind. Back in the day, before SUL spars, to get a low wind version of a kite you went big. The Extra Large Magnum Opus (ELMO) is about 12' and flys great in 3MPH

From the Chicago Fire Site:

"The ELMO is a full 12-feet across, and as tall as some adults. It was designed by Eric Wolff in 1993 to take advantage of the lightest breezes. Although modern kite framing technology has alleviated the necessity of greater sail area, the ELMO is a sight worth seeing, and a kite worth flying."

Big pull is fun for a while, but a kite like the Thor's Hammer is really meant for tricking in normal wind.

Allen, AKA kitehead
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 01:20 PM »

The Apollo is a little smaller than 11 feet Kent.

It's 9.25 feet across and about 4 feet tall so there is a lot of sail.

It is surprisingly tricky and looks sharp in an old school way.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 11:45 AM »

Thanks John...I knew you would come through with the info. Smiley

sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 12:43 PM »

I was looking for something else and found a few old low-res pics of some large kites, taken at WSIKF in the early '90s.

the 'small' rainbow kite is a 10' Kitemandu 1100

Kitemandu Predator beside Kitemobile 3.0

Kitemandu Predator, held by  Charlie & Jim

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 03:07 PM »

Pictures from Zeke..

(apparently he is going to give me a dollar for posting these pictures! yeah!!!)

Zeke's words:
INSTEAD of straps I  use these instead. diameter about 1", bigger or smaller to suit your hand, length of these is 6". I suggest the length be just long enough to extend past your clenched fist. wood is anything at all, snow shovel handles, closet poles, ladder rungs or whatever.  2 holes go all the way through with a small relief area on the back side. lines here are double #500; length is your choice but 4" - 6" is good..  they take a little getting used to with the lines between your ring and index finger.  I started using these after being dragged by a large stack of Flexis. If a large enough gust of wind hits you, one handle will probably be pulled from your grasp leaving you holding one and retaining the kite and. Suggested as an alternative to having the strap wrapped around your wrist.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:09 PM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 03:16 PM »

not certain: was this an El Nino? or another name???I thought that the El Nino's were just the 6' ones....

mmmm....sweet windrule

Whangdoodle....he he he he he he....such a weird kite...and a GREAT name!

might not fly like a big wing....but is one....

Roll Eyes crap..the bottom link has a series of random numbers and letters....and it might have randomly spelled the f-bomb and so the forum blocked the picture!!! please hold....cannot get the pic...dang..it was of a Prism Prophecy......
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:19 PM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
glider
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 05:32 PM »

Bill Rogers has a video of a Thors Hammer here
http://home.comcast.net/~kiteaddict/KiteVids.html
I had mine out at Seaside during the AKA Nationals this year.  What a ball to fly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document