GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 06:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strangest thing ever said to you while flying  (Read 3325 times)
ATLFlyer
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: December 06, 2009, 02:22 PM »

Ok, so I'm out flying this afternoon in the park and there were a few folks out but it was not to crowded since the temp was hovering around around 45 or so. Now I'm minding my own business doing a few loops putting the bird through its paces when all of a sudden this woman yells from about 50 or so feet away from me..."Sir I wish I was that kite so you could fly me around...I would sure like you to fly me around."

I'm normally unflappable and pretty quick on my feet but I have to confess that one left me speechless...I had nothing. All I could do was smile and nod.
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 03:11 PM »

I have to agree... I am usually quick with a funny retort, but that one...
I guess an off color remark could have sufficed if she seemed...umm...let's say "responsive"! Tongue

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 04:36 PM »

I guess it really comes down to what she looks like...  Huh

ATLFlyer

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 04:49 PM »

well....lets just say everyone is pretty in their own way Roll Eyes
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 01:59 AM »

I'm normally unflappable and pretty quick on my feet but I have to confess that one left me speechless...I had nothing. All I could do was smile and nod.

This first thing that came into my mind was
"Are there strings attacked?" Grin

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 04:12 AM »

This is true... but was she pretty like a cheerleader, or pretty like my great aunt Gertrude ?   Cheesy

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 07:07 AM »

This first thing that came into my mind was
"Are there strings attacked?" Grin

+1 hahaha.

There's been a few things that have been said to me that have left me a tad confused- but I'm not gonna' lie, that one takes the cake.  Cheesy

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
ATLFlyer

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 07:26 AM »

This is true... but was she pretty like a cheerleader, or pretty like my great aunt Gertrude ?   Cheesy

oohh...definitely not cheerleader pretty..lol Cheesy
RonG
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 09:12 AM »

"Wow, that must take a lot of practice".

It's strange because it's exceedingly rare.

Things like "Look at the guy flying a kite - what a homo" are a lot more common.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:14 AM by RonG » Logged
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 10:45 AM »

The most common comment I get is " I flew kites when I was a kid"

My response .... To bad you had to grow up, because the kites fly much better nowadays

"Your only as old as you feel"

"Always a kid at heart"

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 12:34 PM »

"Wow, that must take a lot of practice".

It's strange because it's exceedingly rare.

Things like "Look at the guy flying a kite - what a homo" are a lot more common.

+1 Mr G. Through High School (graduated last year) it was MISERABLE for me to fly or talk about anything. Senior year I basically just said screw my peers, and did what I wanted. When there was nothing to do in my arts classes one day (sub)- I'd get my kites from the car and fly in the soccer field haha. Sadly I'm getting the same responses here in college. Nobody does as much at even give it a chance. But I'm keeping the same mentality as I did last year. Ocasionally I'll get a "thats cool" or something, but it's rare.  Sad

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 12:34 PM »

And now we know why Ron took up weightlifting...

Smiley

The most unusual thing anyone's said (not strange, just rare) is "What kind of music are you flying to?"

Only a few times over the years, but it's nice to know it looked like I was actually flying to music.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ace

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 05:36 PM »

I find that most people are generally OK here down under.
They usually walk by, always have a look, take photo's and if your good enough even take video of your flying.
Sure there's the occasional oddball, angry kite boarder or crazy dog walker.... and really we know who the ones in the wrong are Wink

What I hate is when your at a social gathering and happen to mention you fly kites Sad This is usually followed by weird looks (you know the kind social periahs get) and before you can explain, hey the kites I fly are high performance stunt kites worth $100's they jump in and well.................. humor you with stories from their childhood building kites with bed sheets, cardboard and twine. And they think this interests you and makes them look cool to you. IDIOTS!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 06:04 PM »

What I hate is when your at a social gathering and happen to mention you fly kites Sad This is usually followed by weird looks (you know the kind social periahs get) and before you can explain, hey the kites I fly are high performance stunt kites worth $100's they jump in and well.................. humor you with stories from their childhood building kites with bed sheets, cardboard and twine. And they think this interests you and makes them look cool to you. IDIOTS!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I echo this sentiment. One of those "I hear crickets" moment when the subject of kites comes out of my mouth when I mention to some colleagues or friends when I say I fly kites. Its not so much of "Oh I flew a kite last weekend in the park" more rather "What?! You fly kites for at least hours non stop every weekend?!" (Yes I prefer that rather than watching paint dry)

Mention that you do kites (not literally) every weekend and some people's immediate reaction is that they think that you are into kite surfing, not those puny riddiculous buzzing ones with 2 or 4 lines. Jockish mentality.

And don't even get me started on how much the kites cost, or Indoor kites. I don't even want to go there having to explain things for 5 minutes with maybe less than 10% absorption, 0% appreciation and probably 100% ridicule.

Well to answer partially the OP's question, this is a pretty funny thing somebody said to me when I told them some of the kites I fly have 4 lines (Revs). He then asked me, "So, you hold the 2 lines with your hands and tie the other 2 lines to your hips?"  Cheesy

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 08:01 PM »

Doesn't compare with the pick-up line you got but my favorite was when I was doing some ground work during some high winds, coin tosses, cascades and such low to the ground and somebody came by and said maybe if I put a tail on it it would fly better  Cheesy  I proceeded to do a bit of precision flying up in the window despite the pull and wingtip shudder and explained I was attempting to do those somersaults although grantedly badly in comparison to more skilled pilots.

It obviously looked to them like I couldn't get the kite off the ground even though I thought the wingtip stands were ok, especially when I hit a coin toss to the other tip, oh well.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:09 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change