GWTW Forum
October 02, 2014, 05:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strangest thing ever said to you while flying  (Read 3275 times)
antman
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 03:23 AM »

i agree with ron g there. i have heard that befoe many of times.. i get my stones broken all the time about flying kites.. never bothered me and it never will.if the lady was cheerleader hot then good for you my friend Grin

Jeepster

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 06:04 AM »

The side discussion about kite flying not being looked on favorably by the general public is interesting.  You might be interested in this interview of Paul for the Cherry Blossom Festival ... skip to about 3:45 in the video.

Cheers,
Tom
RonG
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 06:21 AM »

The side discussion about kite flying not being looked on favorably by the general public is interesting.  You might be interested in this interview of Paul for the Cherry Blossom Festival ... skip to about 3:45 in the video.

Picking up cheerleaders while kiteflying is a function of Paul's alpha male status, not the kiteflying  Grin

Seriously, Paul is one of the better people for an interview like that.  He can talk about kite flying while still sounding like a "regular guy".  Most of us just sound like something that just crawled out from under a rock.
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 06:58 AM »

Strangest thing I've had was a mouthful of abuse - from someone about 5 football pitches away. I had to put the kite down and run over to see what the hell he was on about, when I got about half way there he yelled that I'd frightened his dog (from 5 pitches away??  Shocked).

It made a change for the 'boot to be on the other foot' though  Wink

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 08:58 AM »

The funny thing about that interview with Paul is that he is flying a regular old production Rev. Okay, B Series Rev.

I don't think I've ever seen him do that. Lol!
iwannafly

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 04:49 PM »

The strangest thing I have heard from a spectator while flying was from a woman that asked (while looking straight at my wife) was...

" are you having trouble getting it up?" Huh

My wife reponsed with a quick "yah... I just don't think he's pulling it hard enough." Huh Huh

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 06:00 PM »

i had a guy walk by when i was flying a ul and exclaim if i ran backwards i could get the kite to fly and then tell me he would be happy to show me. i politely replied no thanks and to that he said you dont know what you are missing and left    i hope he was referring to the kite

have fun kurt
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 09:57 PM »

As I was walking on to my favorite beach carrying my (then) one SUL kite out for some quality time in diminishing winds:

Lady: What a shame! There was some nice wind here earlier, but I don't think theres enough wind now to get a kite flying.

Me: (slight cackle) Awesome!!!

I think I caught her looking back as she got to her car, and stared briefly in slight disbelief.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 04:46 AM »

I love flying in UL winds and having people say 'how is that kite flying... there's no wind.'

Just last night... I got to fly for a few minutes just before dark, barely any wind, flying the Ozone, had two people stop and watch for a minute or two... heard them talking about not feeling any wind.  Smiley

lylenc

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 11:53 AM »

I was easily flying a UL (not even down to SUL low wind). The axels, side slides, and other stuff were coming easily, without having to do any pumping or much foot work. A lady came up to me and said, "There isn't enough wind to fly, is there?"

That was followed by 10 questions about how the kite is made to flip around. At least she understood I was doing it intentionally. I told her it was a combination of timing for slack and tension on the lines and letting the kite's momentum carry it around. I could tell she didn't buy that answer, or understand that just pushing or pulling lines could result in so many different outcomes. Finally, I told her the trick was to make the kite stop flying and it would continue doing whatever was last input. That must have seemed like a plausible answer; I could see the gears working in her brain as she walked away.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Kaasplank

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 12:48 AM »

Heard a thousand times while carrying my Prism kite bag:  "Going fishing?" 

inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 05:34 AM »

Heard a thousand times while carrying my Prism kite bag:  "Going fishing?" 

I was once challenged for carrying a 'Rifle', heaven knows what the park keepers would have done if I was  Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document