GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 08:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless Printing and IP Address- Help!  (Read 5382 times)
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 08:02 AM »

It looks like I am not going to be able to maintain a wireless connection between my Laptop/Printer/Router. Epson’s solution is to delete and re-map the printer on the Laptop every time the IP Address in the Printer changes (which is daily).
I cannot find a way to make the IP Address in the Printer static.
While I can ping the Printer from the Laptop, it does not show up on any wizard or setup box and must be entered manually making the IP Address static on the Laptop.
I tried to email Epson also, but they say to call phone support, a very frustrating experience all around.
My next move will be to investigate a wired connection (which I thought I was getting away from) to my “Wireless Printer.”
Thanks for all your help and suggestions
Rx
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 10:37 AM »

The next time I'm in 'Best Buy' I'll take a look at the printer in the display, and see if I can figure a way to set the static address, and let you know if I figure anything out. I usually have to have the equipment in front of me to say for sure. Like Sam said, the documentation leaves some to be desired...
~Rob.

kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 11:53 AM »

Questions:

what is your IP and SubMask

what router are you using

what is your Authentication Type

have you checked the router to be sure your number of addresses is larger than your number of devices

have you removed all your security to see if you can connect

have you tried the printer wired to see if you can print from the laptop across the network

connect the printer directly to the computer so the printer wizard will install the driver then try wireless

Just some thoughts

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 02:36 PM »

have you checked the router to be sure your number of addresses is larger than your number of devices

Been there done that and boy was it embarrassing.  Roll Eyes

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
brettgrant99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 02:46 PM »

You should be able to get the MAC address for the printer.  The three wifi routers that I have seen have a place for assigning a specific ip address to a MAC address.

This allows you to "emulate" a static ip address.

This setting is usually in the DHCP section of your router and is different than MAC filtering.

HTH,
Brett

Brett

formally known as grantb
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 04:54 PM »

I gave up messing with it. I wired the printer to the router and it works.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
At some point, if I am snowed in or down with the flu, I may spend a day trying again.
Rx
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 12:05 AM »

like brett said, IP reservation through your router is what you want. this functionality allows you to mix DHCP and assign IP's but not all routers have it.

the way it works is anytime a device submits for a new IP lease (ie. device enters wifi range) it's checked against a list maintained in the router and the router issues whatever IP has been specified to that MAC address. if the device is not on the list, the device is issued the next available IP from the pool automatically (DHCP).

this allows the connected devices to play dumb, AND play nice.
 Tongue

good you found a workaround anyway.

Fˇdeli°
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 07:45 AM »

Been there done that and boy was it embarrassing.  Roll Eyes

I had to increase my number last Thanksgiving. Here's the scene:(wish I took a picture)

I was in the kitchen cooking, in attendance was my father from Florida, my sister from Michigan, my two younger brothers from Huntington Beach, my wife and our 3 sons

So I look out in the family room and all eight of them are sitting down with a laptop each all surfing the net

"the family the computes together stays together"

at least they weren't text-ing each other

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 06:07 PM »

Yes, but imagine if they were all IM'ing each other! Huh

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 04:17 AM »

I have a Canon MP970 that I set up to work wirelessly. It worked right out of the box 2 years ago and I haven't had a lick of trouble. Sometimes you get lucky.

I set up my router and wireless adapter to use WPA security and it wouldn't work. The wireless adapter couldn't get a connection and keep it. I live in the sticks so I don't really care if there's somebody doing drive bys. Who's going to pull up in front of my house in the middle of no where to see what they could grab? I stopped trying to lock it down - as much as I'd like to.

Bob D.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 06:15 PM »

So, I was in Office Max the other day, and saw a 810 series printer, so I went over and messed with it. I'm not sure if it's the exact one that you have, but it was in the same series. I did find a way to set an IP manually, I'm pretty sure it can be done. A static address is your best solution for long term reliability, whether you're wired or wireless. HP deals with the dynamic addresses by not really using IP, but the printer's name. The IP doesn't matter...  That's with the automated setup, they also make it very easy to assign the printer a static address, either thru the setup software, or thru the front panel on the device. I've seen and had to deal with Epsons at customer sites that were pre-existing equipment before we got there. Most of them were older, and not as fancy as yours.
I'd say if you have it working, don't mess with it, but if it still causes trouble, getting that IP address fixed is your best solution.
~Rob.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography