GWTW Forum
August 21, 2014, 05:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nose repair (FAIL)  (Read 2211 times)
lilabner
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: December 07, 2009, 03:14 PM »

:'( Embarrassed Angry I'm a lil distraught over this failure  Cheesy but life does go on Wink

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2203332370055536879JZXWRa

I had some seat belt material Steve sold me a few years ago. I thought this would be fine for a nose repair.
So much for MY THOUGHTS Lips sealed

SeeN I have three more of these E-Z Lights sitting in my bags some might think I'm a fool for tryN to repair this kite. BUT!!! this lil gal & I have had some really good times together Cool

What kind of material should be use in this case???

Thanks Much
Abner

Formally known as Abster
dagnabbit
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 04:09 PM »

Looks like lightweight nylon webbing- except where the fibers separated- that looks like kevlar.  Several kite shops have it, I think, including kitebuilder.

The two things that really bug me are unfinished lists....
spence602
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 04:50 PM »

I've perform rhinoplasty Cheesy on kites.  I use an outside layer of 3.9 oz Dacron, but I always put a layer of Kevlar inside.
The Kevlar folds over/along the top and protects the Dacron from the 3 spars (with end caps).  I use DS tape to hold the Kevlar to the Dacron, with more DS tape on the front (and a couple of smaller pieces of on the back side (not covering the spine 'slot')) of the sail - then the whole thing gets sewn together.

Spence
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:20 PM »

Take out the rod and push the fibers back together.  Load it up with superglue and spray with an accelerator to set the superglue immediately.  Then fold a dollar bill and put it in the nose and put the rod back.

Works like a charm.  I have a kite I repaired that way several years ago and it is still going strong.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 07:29 PM »

I follow the suggested fix, up until the dollar bill part...

I have a NikNak that has the same spine thru the nose issue, got it that way. I've been using heavy fabric tape, but it only lasts so long.

Thanks for the help...
~Rob.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 07:47 PM »

Looks like you had cut the webbing to shape, and I notice you didn't extend the stitching all the way to the nose, this allowed the Weft threads to pull right out causing your failure. I would give the Super Glue fix a try, it can work wonders sometimes. If you decide to replace the nose again be sure to sew all the way to the nose with that small of piece, 6,7,8 or more times across to lock those threads into place if your cutting wide webbing to size. It would be better if you could find some strapping with finished edges in the width you need. It's hard to stitch right from the front since getting that bulk to pull under the foot when you start takes some skill and patience and you have to do it half a dozen times. Do put some of the self adhesive kevlar from kitebuilder in there to if you replace it again just for an extra measure of protection.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 08:22 PM »

Yeah, the Euro's a lot stronger than the dollar...

Allen, AKA kitehead
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 01:49 AM »

Take out the rod and push the fibers back together.  Load it up with superglue and spray with an accelerator to set the superglue immediately.  Then fold a dollar bill and put it in the nose and put the rod back.

Works like a charm.  I have a kite I repaired that way several years ago and it is still going strong.

What Doug said ^

I folded a bit of dacron rather than a dollar bill, darned the webbing back together then soaked with a bit of superglued and it held for years.
...Right up until the point where the kite hit a rock nose first in very high winds and the front 4" of the sail parted company with the nose BUT the nose survived! (then I just superglued the sail back on  Grin )

ndcmpc

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 08:57 AM »

I have a NikNak that has the same spine thru the nose issue, got it that way. I've been using heavy fabric tape, but it only lasts so long.

Thanks for the help...
~Rob.

Look at it this way - with the $ in the nose, you will always have emergency money for tolls, soda or parking.  Cheesy

Actually, the point is to bulk up around the end of the rod so it is harder to push through the webbing.  Prism used to use kevlar - not sure if they still do.  The dollar bill works well because it is actually a very tight weave cotton fiber and has reinforcing threads running through it for durability.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:00 AM by ndcmpc » Logged

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 10:14 AM »

Take out the rod and push the fibers back together.  Load it up with superglue and spray with an accelerator to set the superglue immediately.

OK.

Then fold a dollar bill and put it in the nose and put the rod back.

Or put a 8 mm endcap over the 6 mm endcap of the spine.
lilabner
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 03:04 PM »

DOUG!!!! Good to see you friend. Have you heard from or seen Nelson?? Is he still kickin'?

Thanks for ALL the good ideas gang, I appreciate em all.

Ab

Formally known as Abster
ndcmpc

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 08:40 PM »

Ab, I haven't seen him in ages.  You could shout at Donna.  Maybe she has been in touch.

Missing.  Have you seen this man?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document