GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 12:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New NPW Teega after 10yr kitemaking hiatus <long>  (Read 2056 times)
Radian
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: December 07, 2009, 10:40 PM »

Hi all,

I just finished building an NPW Teega. It's basically an NPW 9b with some different twists.
It was quite an experience, because the last time I was making kites was over 10 yrs ago, back when I lived in Holland. (now my home is Springfield, OR)

This is the result:

Made with the instructions on this site: http://freedom2000.free.fr/NPW_Teega_plans_eng.html

Notes on the graphics: in Holland there is a comic called `Kuifje`, `Tin Tin` in English. This is the rocket they use to go to the moon. I've always been interested in Japan so I included some kanji characters on the kite. `Above the clouds` on the left, and `physical strength` on the right side.

I had never done any applique before, so it was a learning experience. After many mistakes I did finish the kite and it was a very rewarding experience. Now I remember why I liked making them! It's really cool to take these sheets of crispy fabric and a roll of line, and make a flying object out of it.

Some mistakes I made:
-  Picked the wrong corner on one of the edge sails to do the graphic on... had to re-cut and re-do the full panel. But! I used the `wrong` panel to make a bag Smiley
-  Stitched the applique on the wrong side of the sail
-  When removing the seam for mistake #2, poked through the sail with my seamripper.
-  Used the double-sided table where I shouldn't have. That residue does *not* want to come off!
-  Made double the amount of primary bridle I needed (apparently a line doubled over has two ends... duh)
-  Various `oopsies` measuring, sewing and cutting.

Some things I learned:
-  I LOVE our $40 Gingher scissors. Used these for cutting sail, relief cutting etc.
-  I LOVE the add-on walking foot we got for our Janome sewing machine. It really helps keep the fabric in line Smiley
-  A bridle board is great. And cascade bridle is pretty easy to do.
-  The `Peter Lynn bridle knot` is a great solution to attach the bridle to the sail. It comes out easy and can be adjusted easily to the mm.
-  Even though our sewing machine is great, I wish it had a `max speed` setting and a `needle down` feature. Would be good to have.
-  French seams are nice, but take some practice... phew!
-  Does anyone else get mid-back pain when making kites? Man o man did I hurt.
-  Yes measure twice, cut once.

Comments on the Teega:
I have a collection of NPW 5 kites. I've been using these for a long time and I like them a lot. They're virtually indestructible, pull like a truck and are a cheap buggy kite. However since those first NPWs I saw that some new designs had come out. I thought I'd try a NPW 9b but then saw the Teega. It had some interesting features:
-  No side darts
-  Leach lines
-  Rounded wings on the trailing edge

On the few flights I've had with it, I've come away with mixed feelings. It does feel more tight in the sky, but also very touchy and nervous. Flying it back to back with an NPW 5, the NPW 5 is more relaxed yet pulls about as hard. Also the nose appears to be very prone to collapse on the Teega. The Teega is more sensitive to brake line input as well. If I relax the brake, the nose folds. If I fly with more brake the nose is OK, but it loses its forward drive. It does appear to be more lifty than an NPW 5, which I like. I've played around with the leech line with mixed results... I'm writing an e-mail to the creator of the Teega to ask for his input as well. 

Overall, I really enjoyed making another kite... I love the process and can't wait to make some more! Perhaps a new-style trick kite (my Gemini is old school at this point), or a rev-look-a-like, or maybe a foil like a Gual or something.

Thanks for reading, any comments/ suggestions are welcome!

Greetings,

Okke.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:08 PM »

Beautiful kite!

The hot self-build stunt kite at the moment is The Vortex:

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=1742.0

This one even has me thinking about building something.  Undecided  Huh
Radian
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:29 PM »

Thanks! The Vortex looks very interesting. Not much `how to` detail on the build plans page it looks like though. Is there another page that has a description on how to assemble the kite, including details like tail weight and things?
Datenland
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 03:17 PM »

Yes, have a look at the two sticky threads at the top of the building board, lots of useful links. Also to a few more kite plans. Especially this one, very thorough and easy to follow:

http://www.tweelijners.com/tom/tomskitesite-en/Home.html

you can even have it in dutch Wink

http://www.tweelijners.com/tom/tomskitesite-nl/Home.html

If you want a very good trick-kite build a Vortex or a B'zar, I have only a Vortex but it seems that they are on par. If you decide for the B'zar, wait till the 2010 model comes out.
And then there is the Fluid, almost a secret, developed from a precision (team) kite with the aim to make it better trickable without loosing much of its tracking qualities. Also a good basis for getting deeper into the matter and "personalizing" it into your own preferences.

Erik
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document