GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 11:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Young flyer looking for a second kite.  (Read 2716 times)
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:35 PM »

I've been helping a college student fly his Quantum.  He's getting good at axels, Slides and backflips.  He would like to invest in a kite with a lower wind range which would grow with him as he becomes ready for more advanced tricks.  He has limited funds.  Any ideas?
Thanks,

Dave
iwannafly

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 05:10 PM »

I fly a Quantum right now as well. For my second Kite, I'm saving my loose change to get a Blue Moon Mantis. Tongue

Since cash is a problem try the Nighthawk by Premier Kites. Smiley From what I hear it's better in lighter winds than the Quantum. Even better, would be a Silver Fox 2.5UL from Flying Wings. Grin
My last suggestion and many may agree, try and get a used MUSE from Blue Moon Kites. Cool

That's my 2 cents worth.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 05:31 PM »

exile or muse you cannot go wrong x-ile's range is pretty much unbeatable with the new muse coming you may find 1 at a price he can afford and NO you can't have mine                                                                                                                     [  URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2296869670104449155MPaXim][/URL]

have fun kurt
DaveH
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 06:21 PM »

I know what you mean, ko.  I've been thinking Zephyr, but the price puts you pretty close to the Exile. And the Exile would be the PERFECT kite for this guy.   And ko, you can't have mine either  Grin

[attachment deleted by admin]
DaveH
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 06:28 PM »

Actually I think he'll end up going for something in the price range of the SF UL.   But I'm not that familiar with a lot of those kites.  I really like my Acrobatx and the UL version looks good, but I've had to do a bit of upkeep on mine to keep it together.  This guy's pretty new. I'm not sure how much tinkering he's up for.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:00 PM by DaveH » Logged
ko

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 06:46 PM »

whoops!! just went to kens site and it WILL NOT be a variation of the muse

have fun kurt
Jared

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 07:13 PM »

(now that I'm free of a forum where I can only suggest one manufacturer's line)  You might consider the Premier Wolf; it's a VERY tricky kite and it's ridiculously affordable.  The only downside is that the all nylon construction is going to want at least 5mph of wind for it to fly predictably.

Having flown both the Acrobatx and Wolf, I think the Wolf is the FAR better choice, especially at that skill level.
DaveH
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 09:14 PM »

So true, Jared.  I'm a big fan of the Widow, as well. Its nylon, too, but I've flown the crap out of it and its still going strong. This guy's one criterea was something that would fly in lighter winds.  All things considered, my young friend is going to need a greater selection than he will find in the Prism line.  That's why I brought my question here.   Thanks for the Premiere suggestion.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:18 AM by DaveH » Logged
RobB

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 04:20 AM »

The Acro is a fun kite, but needs wind & it is high maintenance. A Muse or Muse light would come in for less than a Zephyr, and I think with the new MSRP of the Z... it's within only a few $$$ of the Exile.

In the price range that you were talking about, I've heard more about the SF than the Acrobatx UL. I know either are not true light wind kites, but there's nothing else at that price point that I can think of, other than a NikNak, and that would limit tricks and its not really good in wind over 5mph.

~Rob.

DaveH
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 06:07 AM »

That's the delema, Rob. When I posted my inquiry on the Prism forum I didn't realize how much the Z is going for. I'm thinking of letting this guy fly my Exile. Once he got a taste of that the search would be over.  Even though its a lot for someone in his position to spend, he'd have exactly what he's looking for and never have to worry about the kite. Barring that, I'll recommend the SF UL.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dave
streamhawk

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 07:18 AM »

Dave, now that we're where a more open suggestion can be made, the SF 2.5 UL might work, it's a bit heavy though for an UL, more of a light actually. It's strong point is that it's fairly slow moving, makes learning a bit easier, is quite good at tricks. All in all, as I hinted at before, the Exile is by leaps and bounds the superior kite, as you know the low end of the standard would work very well, it's a bit more money, but what a great all round kite, except at around 10mph and up, too fast. If he's in this for the long run, the Exile will save him buying other kites before he steps up to something more refined, it will save him money if he can see it that way.

Bill

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 10:09 AM »

The Acrobatx UL cost less and will trick and fly in less wind than the SF ULs.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
DaveH
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 11:07 AM »

James,
I'm a big fan of the Acrobatx as I said.  Very fun kite.  It might be a bit squirrely for him as a second kite so maybe I should let him try mine out before he buys. 

Bill,
I spoke with him this morning.  He wants to keep the hand made option on the back burner until he has a clearer sense of how far he wants to go with all this.  SF UL is definitely a good option and is where he is leaning at the moment.  And at some point he's just going to pick the one that looks the best to him. 
iwannafly

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 11:15 AM »

If he's in this for the long run, the Exile will save him buying other kites before he steps up to something more refined, it will save him money if he can see it that way.

Bill

This is the same line of thinking I am trying to go by. It may hurt the wallet right now, but over the long-haul you will save money. Thus the reason for saving for a BMK MANTIS.

Even though your friend is short on cash, and the SF 2.5UL or ACROBATX UL may be in his range, A better kite like the EXILE is still the best way to go if he can swing the $$$. If he does not stick with flying, he can sell it later and get back some of that money back. The EXILE should provide a better return. Although I can't see why anyone would want to give flying sport kites in the first place. Wink
streamhawk

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 11:20 AM »

Dave, put the Exile's lines in his hands, pretty sure he'll see the diff from what he's flying. The money trade off is another thing altogether, either he can or he can't, if no, then that's the deciding factor.

B

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change