GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 07:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: abraxas kite build??  (Read 3039 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: December 10, 2009, 05:03 AM »

I want to start ordering the parts for this build,but I don't know what parts I need for the roll bars? Could someone please tell me what parts(detail list) I need to order for the roll bars(the frame will be p200 for the leading edge)
Datenland
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:22 AM »

It's the 3 mm "GFK" rod, fiberglass in english. Finished length is 43,5 cm.

Erik
tommymcmillan

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:04 PM »

What other parts do I need to get to connect it to the leading edge?
Datenland

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:15 PM »

I would use an Apa standoff-connector, for P200 probably the Apa 250 with 6,5 mm for the leading edge. If you don't use the rollbars, they make perfect yoyostoppers, if you want to use the bars, turn them backwards and insert the rollbar with an endcap into them. The other end of the bar can be fixed with the Jaco standoff/sail connector.

Erik
tommymcmillan

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:32 PM »

Thank you! For the info. i'll get started ordering the parts today & i'll be asking a lot more questions once the build gets started.
Thank you,
tommymcmillan

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 09:11 PM »

could you please translate all of the frame measurements for me.
Datenland

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 05:46 AM »

Spine is 82,5 cm, 6 mm pultruded
leading edge is 140 cm, 5 mm pultruded
upper spreader 45,5 cm, 5 mm pultruded
spreaders are 70 cm, Gforce Superskinnies
standoffs are 23,5 cm, all the same

Pil mentions in the text that, although this seems fragile, he had it out at 35 km/h wind.

Erik
tommymcmillan

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 05:42 PM »

Would I be able to use skyshark p200(upper spreader,leading edge,spine) & 5pt(lower speader) or should I use the frame that's listed?
Datenland

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 06:03 PM »

Paul May has put an extreme amount of knowledge and patience into the development of this kite. From what I know of him he must have studied about every rod-combination imaginable, so, if he publishes and, at one time, sold the kite in the given configuration I would really stick to that. It's not that it wouldn't work somehow, but it will be definitely a different kite. As a rule I stick to the proposed rods when building a kite after a public plan. If one gets to know how it was meant to behave, there might be changes possible afterwards to "personalize" it.
Also, the rods in the plan are a lot cheaper!
Personally I don't know the Abraxas, I've never built one and have only flown it for a time not worth mentioning. So I can help along with translations and tips, but not with anything connected with this particular kite.

Erik
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 01:23 AM »

erik, you're very cool to offer your help, especially with translation.
 Cool

Fdeli
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 05:38 AM »

erik, you're very cool to offer your help, especially with translation.
 Cool

I also commend you, Erik. I have been lurking on this one because I am on the fence about getting a machine and sewing my own kites. This one might knock me off the fence Wink.

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
tommymcmillan

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 05:57 AM »

Thank you,
For the invaulable advice Grin,i'll follow it to the letter and order the frame from Mr.Steve today/tomorrow Tongue
tommymcmillan

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 06:45 AM »

I noticed on the plans thier was something that looked like a wind brake,could you give me the measurement to it?
Datenland

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 09:23 AM »

Sorry, but now I'm a bit at a loss, there is a plan called "Bremssegel.jpg" the sizes are given in centimeters, you can use that?

Thanks for the compliments!

Erik
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum