GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 05:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parafoils compared?  (Read 2793 times)
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: December 14, 2009, 04:05 AM »

Hey guys.  I am narrowing my choices for the new lifter.

I am now looking at the Pilot 50 sold by Gomberg, as well as the Shannon-foils also sold by the same.

The only wonder/worry is whether one is noticeably more stable than the other.  I am partial to the Shannon if only because they are slightly more attractive to my eye. 

Any insight from the learned members of the forum?

(Another side question...can I order these through GWTW??)

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:41 AM »

From my experience - get the Pilot.  The two Shannons we had here got sent back because both would NOT stay in the sky no matter what we did to them or how we adjusted them.

Personally - I would suggest either the ProAirform (previously knows as Jordan Airforms) or the Sutton.  I have and fly both of these in several sizes and have never had an issue with either.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 12:02 PM »

Yes all Gomberg products are available through Gone With The Wind / Chico Kites even though the complete catalogue isn't online. Just give Steve a ring or email and he can get you setup. If you look back on any of Dave's postings you'll see he always mentions that.

No personal experience with either of your choices myself but IMO the Shannon is the better looking kite too, but likely a bit more complicated if you need to tune it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ainokea

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:02 PM »

I would get the Pilot myself. I had a Shannon 90 and it would lean to the left in flight.
Nothing I did to adjust it would cure the tilt. Nice kite, but I would have to pass on it
if I had a choice between the two.

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Fore Check

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 01:50 AM »

the ProAirform (previously knows as Jordan Airforms)

...are you sure that the PKS ProAirforms are, as you say "previously known as" the Jordans? Shocked

I thought Dean Jordan was still making stuff and the PKS product was, although very similar, different in that it has the standing lines between the top and bottom skins and not the full profile pieces.

Anyway - if you've got a PKS proairform, I'd love to hear/read more about it in terms of a review.  What color, what size, quality, etc.

Gamelord

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:14 PM »

Ya know....I am not sure if the ProAirforms did actually replace the Jordan's or not...I just assumed they did as Jeff Howard was the main producer with Dean Jordan on the Jordan flow forms and has just recently released these as being new.  If I did assume wrong then my apologies for the Jordan's.

I have both the Jordan's and the ProAirforms and they are both excellent kites.  My Jordan's include a 25, 2-50's and a 100.  My ProAirforms include a 100 and 200.  The ProAirforms are lighter weight due to the "shock-cord" technology used in the centers instead of full ribs - the same technique used in the large Peter Lynn show kites.  This lets them fill up faster and launch easier.  As far as stability and flight - no real difference between the two designs that I have noticed.  Both designs are excellent flyers / lifters and are super stable.  The included tails are just awesome, especially on the 200 that comes with two matching 150' tails!

I would highly recommend either the Jordan's or the new ProAirforms as they are both excellent.  I do personally prefer the new ProAirforms because of the lighter weight - seems to be able to fly easier in the lighter winds.

Hope that helps.

MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 08:20 PM »

The Jordan AirForms had ribs. Cross venting, yes, but ribs.

Depends whether you want a lifter or more of a show kite. As a lifter, the Pilot is great by itself and can take tails, too, if that's what you want. Most of the show kites, though, are Suttons or Jordans but, IIRC, DG says they don't provide the lift of the pilot.

Bob
Fore Check

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 02:20 AM »

Ya know....I am not sure if the ProAirforms did actually replace the Jordan's or not...I just assumed they did as Jeff Howard was the main producer with Dean Jordan on the Jordan flow forms and has just recently released these as being new.  If I did assume wrong then my apologies for the Jordan's.

I have both the Jordan's and the ProAirforms and they are both excellent kites.  My Jordan's include a 25, 2-50's and a 100.  My ProAirforms include a 100 and 200.  The ProAirforms are lighter weight due to the "shock-cord" technology used in the centers instead of full ribs - the same technique used in the large Peter Lynn show kites.  This lets them fill up faster and launch easier.  As far as stability and flight - no real difference between the two designs that I have noticed.  Both designs are excellent flyers / lifters and are super stable.  The included tails are just awesome, especially on the 200 that comes with two matching 150' tails!

I would highly recommend either the Jordan's or the new ProAirforms as they are both excellent.  I do personally prefer the new ProAirforms because of the lighter weight - seems to be able to fly easier in the lighter winds.

Hope that helps.

Regarding whether or not the ProAirform replaced the Jordan Airform, I dunno...  I was honestly asking the question.  There's still a website out there and the Wind Wizards kite site has a link to it saying that Jordan's are "back on the scene" and some such. 

I'm looking hard at a ProAirform - I appreciate the "review" info. 

I have yet to contact them - will they do custom colors?  It's not shown on the site....
Mrhide

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 03:45 AM »

the jordan 200 can lift, no doubt about it !
it does need LOTS of tail and high wind flying is a *bad idea*.

for that, the pilot is probably a better idea if you want to lift other show stuff
Gamelord

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 01:59 PM »

Last I checked, they were not doing custom colors but that may be possible, you will just need to contact them and ask.

You could always just get with Steve here at GWTW as I am sure he can get you information on them as well.  He could also order them in for you and may even be able to work out a special "Members" deal for you.

Steve can also get you anything from Gomberg as he is a fully authorized dealer for them.

rodbuggy

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 05:04 AM »

I/ve never flown a Shannon foil so I can't give input on that one but if you are looking to lift a bit of laundry and such youcan't go too wrong with a Pilot. .I've got a 50 and it pulls like a truck.  Much more lift thatn my Airform 200.  You can get a custom colored Pilot from Gomberg through Steve too.  Shouldn't take Gomberg too long to get it built for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document