GWTW Forum
December 29, 2014, 03:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone interested in flying multiples?  (Read 2396 times)
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: December 14, 2009, 06:33 PM »

There's Ray, Joe, and me as far as I know - there may be others - but most people seem reluctant to put more than one kite in the sky. And yet, I see lots of people out there who execute tricks for hours on end. The skills are complex and many (maybe most) fliers seem to master the tricks fairly quickly. BUT, when I ask someone if they would like to fly multiples, they tell me that they can't do it. That would suggest that they have tried and failed and yet, I have neither seen nor heard of anyone trying - and I fly often, year round. 

I see the kite experience as one which offers endless applications. It's like a banquet -everything from soup to nuts (plenty of NUTS :>)), and yet few people explore more than one or two aspects. Eventually, they get bored,  drift away to another sport, and leave a lot of food on the table.

So, here's my pitch, if some ONE flier out there wants to put a second kite up in the air, I will act as a mentor and share what I have learned, step by step.

Any Taker?

Stoney

lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 06:58 PM »

I have a long standing dream to fly Revs with my dominant hand (right hand) and dual line on handles on handles on my left (non dominant hand).

Tried it a few times. Kite was in the air for maybe 20 30 seconds at a time before I had to "land gracefully". Luckily no serious crashes and any damage done to the kites (or my fingers)

Any tips?  Smiley

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:29 PM »

There's Ray, Joe, and me as far as I know - there may be others - but most people seem reluctant to put more than one kite in the sky. And yet, I see lots of people out there who execute tricks for hours on end. The skills are complex and many (maybe most) fliers seem to master the tricks fairly quickly. BUT, when I ask someone if they would like to fly multiples, they tell me that they can't do it. That would suggest that they have tried and failed and yet, I have neither seen nor heard of anyone trying - and I fly often, year round. 

I see the kite experience as one which offers endless applications. It's like a banquet -everything from soup to nuts (plenty of NUTS :>)), and yet few people explore more than one or two aspects. Eventually, they get bored,  drift away to another sport, and leave a lot of food on the table.

So, here's my pitch, if some ONE flier out there wants to put a second kite up in the air, I will act as a mentor and share what I have learned, step by step.

Any Taker?

Stoney

Stoney, are you talking about pairs flying, or are you talking about one flyer, blindfolded, flying multiple kites? Smiley
bt

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:14 PM »

Do you mean one person flying multiple likes or a multiple  of people flying one kite apiece ie pairs/team?
If it`s one person flying multiples count me in. I was/am lucky enough to learn to fly on Ray Bethel`s homefield and observe the master quite a bit doing his 3 kite thing. There were a couple other two at once fliers as well who were quite good. I was more into quads, still am, and fighters....although I was flying multiple fighters off one line and Ray literally fell down laughing when I put up 4 cubes at once.....
It wasn`t until I moved away from Vancouver that I took up flying two dualies at once. I bought a pair of beetles to learn on. I searched and luckily found a matching pair of Joel Sholtz Neptunes and also bought a pair of Alpha +`s as well....not quite so much pull as the Neptunes. I would like to get a pair of UL`s one day...not at the top of the wish list though.
I don`t fly two at once very often....but enjoy it immensely when I do.
I had toyed with the idea of flying 2 decas at once but never took the handle design far enough even though I made my own deca handles. Steve De Roos (sp??) flys 2 Rev`s at once and the vidz I`ve seen are quite stunning...
Flying multiples..a wonderful different headspace.
bt
imarche
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:39 PM »

I do that all the time!

One kite in the air, chasing after another kite that exists in my mind...

the*real*stoney

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 07:16 PM »

1. Lasapcheong - Since I have little knowledge and less interest in Rev's, I think I would be of little assistance to you but don't give up. The more you try, the more you will learn what won't work. Eventually, you will either find the key to the door or you will decide it's beyond you. But whatever you learn, you will find a lot about flying and a lot about yourself. Keep thinking about ways to reach your goal.   

2. Jar ed - One Flyer flying a dual line kite, one in each hand ---Blindfolded comes a long way down the road.

3.BT- The message I get from you is that you are experimenting with a lot of  very  complex  and  tough requirements. I recommend you pick one and master it . Then move on to the next challenge and add it to what you have already learned.

4. Imarch- Imagining what you would like to do is your first step toward actually doing it.

Stoney                                                                                                                                                                               
oldflyer
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 02:54 PM »

This chap always puts on a good show here in the UK....

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/teamspectrumkites/Multiple%20Kite%20Flying.html

jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 04:03 PM »

As well as Carl in the South of the UK, there's Graham Lockwood who performs at most of the Northern (NKG) festivals.  Not forgetting Dave "Me 3 kites" Green, who is also very adept at the three kite stuff.

I'm an ordinary mortal who struggles to control a single kite.  I take my hat off to anybody who can fly two kites at once, never mind three.
Texanpilot

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 05:35 PM »

I've tried the "one kite in each hand" flying about three or four times.  (If anyone was there Friday at KP7, they might have seen my feeble attempts at this.)  It's been a fun challenge after I'd gotten tired of the "same old thing".

The first victims were my two Sano SSL's  Huh, and fortunately, they didn't suffer any damage.  Next time up it was my and my wife's QPro's.  Those will wear your hands out in a good breeze. 

I now have three "next steps":  1) Make some BALANCED handles (Rev. Super Blast handles are ok, but not symmetrical).  2) Invent something of a routine to follow.   3) PRACTICE.

My hat is off to lasapcheong for trying a dual and a Rev.  What a mental exercise!  I've tried a Rev one-handed, and had no success with it. 

Steady winds, y'all.
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 05:51 PM »

I really enjoy flying two at the same time. I use 2 cherry bombs or two microns with 50 ft. or 100 ft. tails on 75 ft. lines. There's nobody else flying in my town, so if I want to do pairs flying, I have to do it myself. I learned to fly 2 at the same time at the age of 62 and Ray Bethel is in his 80's so maybe it's an old fart sport.  Give it a try, you'll like it!
xuzme720

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 06:49 PM »

I've tried a Rev one-handed, and had no success with it. 
How do you go about flying a Rev one-handed? The only way I can think of doing it is crossed handles, like a marionette...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 06:53 PM »

I've tried a Rev one-handed, and had no success with it. 
How do you go about flying a Rev one-handed? The only way I can think of doing it is crossed handles, like a marionette...

I hope cross referencing to another forum is not against the rules here : http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=762

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
xuzme720

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 06:55 PM »

Aha! The light dawns!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
bt

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 10:21 PM »

3.BT- The message I get from you is that you are experimenting with a lot of  very  complex  and  tough requirements. I recommend you pick one and master it . Then move on to the next challenge and add it to what you have already learned.

Hi Stoney,
While I appreciate your advice, I think my post was too quick off the mark as I condensed a big chunk of time too much. I got a little too excited as I am a huge fan of multiple kite flying....just that quads are a little more fun...although I`ve no interest in flying 2 quads at once.....did once though....
My first venture into flying multiples, with two fighters on one line, was in about `94 and still do that today. As stated previously I was also very lucky to spend my first 3 or so years of flying on the same field as Ray B. et al, so that sure sank in. Because I am a quad flier most of the time...about 75% (since about `93ish). I attempted 2 0 wind Deca minergy`s indoors for a while but could never get the handles right....so I stacked them instead...this in the late `90`s.
I`ve been flying 2 dualies at once for about 8 yrs now...hence the 3 matching pair(s) depending on wind speed and how much pull I wish to subject myself to. These I may fly about 15% of the time with the other 10% being devoted to dualies and the slk`s.....
When I need/want a break from quads I`ll for sure go for a pair of, rather than one single dual liner depending on mood/wind speed/etc. This works quite fine as I use different sized rev handles depending on the size of the duals. For me I like them better than the symmetric style handles I`ve made for my deca`s....go figure as Ray B. told me how to make nice symmetric handles. I tend to keep my fingers on the foam of the rev handles with the foam  (top) end being the inside line(s) of the pair....works for me. I also didn`t like the asymmetrical TC Ultra handles...
So if any other fliers have both two and four line kite kites then fly a two liner with a quad handle with one hand and then the other...reverse the handle (or not..)  if it`s a rev(like) handle....and think old school...that`s what I do when approaching multiple line flying or if I feel like flying just one dual liner using only one hand....
If it wasn`t for my fondness for quads I`m sure most of my flying would be flying multiples...
bt

tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 11:25 PM »

Hey, Stoney

I sent you a pm, but I'm not sure if it got through the spam blocker verification.
Let me know.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum