GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 10:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: External Hard drive?  (Read 1817 times)
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 15, 2009, 06:20 AM »

Been looking into getting an external hard drive, mainly to back up my company Quick books files, Pictures and Videos, it appears that almost all have a dependability problem.
Any one out there have an idea of which one might be the best?

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
fworley
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 07:16 AM »

Been looking into getting an external hard drive, mainly to back up my company Quick books files, Pictures and Videos, it appears that almost all have a dependability problem.
Any one out there have an idea of which one might be the best?

These are considered to be very good

http://www.lacie.com/us/shop/index.htm?adw=proshop&gclid=CIeC_fPd2J4CFSIdawodL2AxgA

-Frazer
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 08:07 AM »

I've run a 1terrabyte western digtial on my dvr without issues for over 2 years, ymmv.
I got it from tigerdirect for $99.00
cdr are so cheap why not just burn a disk every so often?

Sine Metu!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 01:53 PM »

For book keeping backup I use a Flash Drive, an Office Depot house brand Activa, I've run it daily for 3 years and carry it in my pocket 15+ hours every day. 4 gig runs under $15 now, mines only a 1 gig and you wouldn't believe the stuff I have on it with room to spare. You'll back up book keeping more often when it's as easy as plug it in and run your synch program. Bonus, you can update your billing & invoices from any available computer anywhere anytime.

I have a Western Digital that only runs when I do a full backup for storage, no problems. I also have another Western Digital which is actually an internal drive in a Mad Dog external case I bought to retrieve the info off the drive when the person got trashed by numerous viruses. I kept the drive for my troubles and it's run 24/7 for 3 years.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 02:42 PM »

like DD i have a WD 1 TB drive connected to my dvr which essentially means it runs 24/7 and it's run since day 1 without incident. i got the Western Digital Element 1TB from newegg. nice and simple black case, no frills, just right.

the wd drive was purchased to replace a 1.5TB Seagate drive which stopped working after about 90 days. i now have a repaired 1.5TB drive i can't trust, so in other words, it's worthless.

Fdeli
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:18 PM »

Depending on how much storage you are talking about and weighing paranoia/pain threshold for lost files against cost get an external RAID enclosure and call it a day. 

If you are running the Enterprise version of Quickbooks, Online back ups are part of the subscription.

Nightly back-ups of 4 reasonable sized companies is wicked fast.

ATB,
Sam
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 04:01 PM »

+1 on the LaCie D2 drives.

I've had a dozen of 'em over the years. Some ran 24x7 for 3+ years. Consistently excellent quality. Over the same period of time I had an even larger number of other brand drives and I've found all the the manufacturers to vary greatly in quality through their lines and over time. There are more cheap junky drives out there than ever. Heat is one of the biggest issues.

LaCie has had some cheaper drives too, so they're not saints, but the D2 series has been a winner every time.

Why go cheap on backup?

Allen, AKA kitehead
King-J

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 04:30 PM »

Many Thanks to all the replies, very helpful, I think I'll use a stick or off site for Quick books, I also have allot of pics and kite videos, I was thinking the External hard drive for these files just to keep my internal memory freed up, although with my newer Dell XPS I have 1tb combined. I also do allot with excel for my bids, not sure of the file size it uses.

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
kiteking

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 04:31 PM »

I use a system similar to this

I have one for IDE and another for SATA, they will accept both 2.5 (laptop) and 3.5 (desktop) bare drives

I not only use them for my backups and data storage but it makes it easy to move/restore data for clients

They are hot swappable and quick to switch-out.

you can set them up to automatically backup folders or complete drives.

I have them setting on the desk and can move the USB connector between any computer quickly and easily

Currently have a 1.0 and a 1.5 terabyte drives attached

Has a power switch so I can power down when not in use

I don't recommend leaving your Pictures and Videos on only one drive.

Remember it not if your hard drive will crash its when!!!!!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:34 PM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

indigo_wolf

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 04:35 PM »

I got the one bay version of that when it first came out.  Very nice for deploying machines of the same type.  Single install, image, and then just dupe hard drives.  Can save buckets of time.

ATB,
Sam
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 07:18 PM »

I got one of these bad boys, couldn't be happier... Superb product, BeyondRAID rules. Smiley

http://drobo.com/products/drobo.php

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 07:49 PM »

I bought a no-name 500GB 3.5" external HDD when they became available for Cdn$90 -- around US$80 at the time. It only runs for a few hours a month, when I do image backups (or restores) of one of our computers, or occasionally when I clean stuff off my laptop drive and want to save it just in case.

I already had a copy of Acronis True Image Home, which I like a lot for this use. For a while, I was recommending that people buy an external HDD from Seagate or one of the other companies that includes a free stripped down copy of ATI. But since then I've had some experience with Macrium Reflect FREE (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp), which seems to do the basic jobs as well as ATI.

So I'd probably keep buying bargoon HDDs. (What are the odds that your occasionally used backup HDD AND your primary drive will both go out at the same time?)

Norm in Toronto
iwannafly

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 06:06 PM »

Stick with the USB memory stick(flash drive, jump drive, memory key) what ever you want to call it.

Just don't buy a cheap one. I lost my only working copy of a project I was working on. Sad Several lessons learned that day. Angry

Something from SANDISK is a good place to start. Their primary business is memory in one form or another. If you go for  something like the CRUZER 2GB micro, it even has password protection built in that can be disabled if you don't need it. Just don't forget the password because the only way around it is to delete everything on the drive. I have a pair that I have been using for a while now and have not had any issues with them.

kiteking

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 10:14 AM »

USB flash drives are great for short term backups and moving files from one machine to another.

I personally would not feel secure having that as my only copy of important files.

I currently have

Music:
size on disk   312 GB
      85,529 Files
      8,5o4 Directories

Photos:
size on disk   126GB
      49,357 Files
      561 Directories   

I normally copy files to a external HDD (I have one for Music (750GB) and one for Photos (500GB) I also copy both to one of my Terabyte drives.

The photos are separated by subject and then date and copied to a folder called "incoming" once I get close to 8GB in the folder I burn them to DVD and then copy into the general "photo" folder then delete them from "incoming"

Music is sorted by artist them by album and copied and archived similarly

When finished I have a archive DVD, and a copy of each file on 2 separate HDD's

I value my information, so I want to feel confident that it will not be lost

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography