GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 07:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Badly Will My Flying Skills Deteriorate This Winter?  (Read 4055 times)
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 12:42 AM »

Is this where we start a discussion on the density of cold air vs. hot? Obviously I've been around here too long.  Cheesy

Does it get cold enough in Georgia to worry about the density of the air?  Wink

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
stapp59
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 03:01 AM »

Landings are easier  Huh Cheesy

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 04:18 AM »

I just started flying in the colder weather last year and it's not too bad! It's completely doable in the 40's and not so bad in the 30's. Wear a nice winter coat, hat, thermals and gloves. I use bicycle riding gloves that I got from Performance about 15 years ago and they work great because they're GoreTex and not too heavy.

I haven't been to LSP in a few weeks but I've been itching again. We could meet up there some Friday I have off or on a weekend sometime. (Last weekend was ugly because of the freezing rain up by us in the mountains!)

Bob D.
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 04:42 AM »

Is this where we start a discussion on the density of cold air vs. hot? Obviously I've been around here too long.  Cheesy

It IS better in the winter...No discussion!!! Wink

The new Frank!
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 05:41 AM »

Landings are easier  Huh Cheesy

Steve, I have to say that is one of the best kite shots I've seen in a long time. Kudos to you on a great pic! Grin

Does it get cold enough in Georgia to worry about the density of the air?

We have our days. We have days it doesn't get much above freezing but not too many per year. Of course I live just south of the Tennessee line.

DaveH
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 06:20 AM »

I like winter flying a lot because the soccer fields are empty.  I'll fly in 30 degree weather often and a few days down in the '20s.  Last week the temp outside my basement was 1.  Huh  I stayed home..
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 08:05 AM »

It is great to hear that the lawn dart stage is behind me.   Smiley  Would not want to endure that again.

I have flown as low as 40 degrees without an issue but never in the 30s.  Maybe I will try until I find the "it is too cold" point.

Some of you actually fly with snow on the ground?  Any effect on the lines? 

As far as keeping up with the Joneses I am amazed how these things multiple so quickly.

stapp59
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 08:27 AM »

@Randy  Thanks guy!  Smiley  Not your normal beach pic I suppose.  Had lots of fun that day.  New powder about a foot deep, cold though in single digits.  Brrr.  Started with tip drags in the snow then 45 degree dives, finally was able to dive straight down at speed with just a dull thud.  The nose never reached the ground.  Much harder to dive without pulling up.  Normal reflexes you know.  If JohnC thinks it worthy, it can go in the calendar mix next year...

@kitemac  Too cold is whatever you determine it to be.  Hardest is keeping hands warm...
rxburner
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 09:49 AM »

Some of you actually fly with snow on the ground?  Any effect on the lines? 

The great thing about flying in snow, is that every field becomes a 'Kite Field."

If the lines get damp, just lay out the winder over night instead of packing it away. I fly down into the teens, it is all about layering and a good pair of light flexible gloves. I was out in 11 deg.(F) last week.
Rx
DaveH
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 04:34 PM »

agreed.  I think the toughest time to fly is in the transitions when everything is sloppy and muddy.  Once it decides to be winter its pretty awesome.  For me the solitude more than makes up for the cold. 
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 08:20 PM »

This one sure liked the snow and cold. 

I never got accustomed to wearing gloves while flying, but bundle up and its fun!  The white snow actually provides a nice backdrop for the kite (even better than a sandy beach) - it really stands out.

[attachment deleted by admin]

6 kite tom
Schook
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 01:03 PM »

agreed.  I think the toughest time to fly is in the transitions when everything is sloppy and muddy.  Once it decides to be winter its pretty awesome.  For me the solitude more than makes up for the cold. 

+1

And the the wind is so much smoother too.   Also temps are a relative issue as well.  30 degrees seems cold to someone used to 50, but seems warm to someone that has had a stretch of 10 degree weather. 

I don't hesitate to fly when the winter temps are 10 degrees, it usually means the temp came up from below zero.  Smiley

jim

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
King-J

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 04:30 PM »

I was out the other Day just a couple of hours after the rain stopped, boy was the grass ever soggy but my desire to fly over came the slop, just be careful on tip stabs they have the tendency to go real deep, and have to be removed by hand Wink

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 05:32 PM »

Air density may not be much of a factor for standard and UL kites or for yank & spank flying. You can feel the difference when SUL finesse flying. Maybe air density is the wrong terminology, but something holds the kite up better ... I know it's not my half-froze private parts. They don't even reach past the finger straps.  Roll Eyes  Cry

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document