GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 09:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joel Schultz ButterFighter  (Read 2944 times)
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: December 19, 2009, 01:57 PM »

I know this was brought up before on the old foum...

Does anyone have info and or details on the rubber fittings from spreaders to spine.

Mine have deteriorated and I'd like to replace them.

Thanks, Geo.

Say Good Night Dick
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:07 PM »

got a better description or pics of what you have? I have boxes of the superthane tubing in many sizes, it's black. I've not seen what was used originally but I remember Joel checking out the silicon tubing on one of my designs around the time these were released too.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 02:51 PM »

geo.

I might have some of the superthane tubing in the size your looking for let me see if I still have it and I 'll get it out to U
moegeo

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 03:06 PM »

Thanks Mike, I'll take some pics tonight...

Thanks Dave, I appriciate it.

If Dave has the right size tubing, I could still need a pic or two to put this kite back together.

Say Good Night Dick
kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 05:04 PM »

i haven't made it out the the garage yet but i might have the paper work for that as well Wink
moegeo

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 05:58 PM »

Groovy  Kiss
If you've missplaced my addy let me know.
I have something to send back at you.
Geo.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/575983262MFkPHh
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 08:28 PM by moegeo » Logged

Say Good Night Dick
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 10:26 PM »

Doesn't look like it was tubing to me, more like a ring that you fold over one spar then insert the other spar through the loops. If that's right then you need a couple neophrene o-rings of the right size, Harbor Frieght sells an assortment box for $2.99 or any good auto parts store carries a variety of sizes. If you know of a transmission rebuilder they'll have boxes of spares too.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
moegeo

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 08:00 AM »

Mike you are partially right. The top conection is a rubber band looking thing, but the lower connection had the remnants of a tube.

Say Good Night Dick
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 11:59 AM »

Looks like an o-ring would work on both, you'd wrap it around the dual crossed spars on the bottom then insert the spine through. the top the same with only one cross. Looks like you could wrap the o-rings around the crosses then insert the spine. If you can make a guess as to the diameter of the o-rings you might need I can probably get you a couple, my family has that transmission shop with boxes full of asst neophrene o-rings that will last years. I need to go searching for replacements for Rhonda's Spirit Quad anyway (for a year now) so it would give me another excuse to get mine in gear, plus go see the progress on Dads latest rod  Grin

I have dowels and fiberglass rods galore I can take along to try out. My guess is 3/16 spine with 1 or 2 .62 or .80 crosses?

Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 01:34 PM »

Joel Schultz or Joel Scholz ?  Wink
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 02:52 PM »

Yeah Scholz, but we knew what he was talking about, only one Butterfighter. What was the name of Joel's other one? that's right Butterflier. Very cool kites, definately a step apart from the mainstream and I did infact witness one winning the overall competition at one event. Hard on the fingers though, they are big kites in comparison to most.

*George* check out Kitelines volume 7 issue 2 - Winter 1988 for a review, they do state Joel used surgical tubing for those bands, that's why it deteriorated, latex does that. Slingshot rubbers would be a replacement in that case, but I'll try to find you some neophrene o-ring and PM/email you.

Below is a pic from Kitelines for you folks who never saw these unique fighters, Butterfighter on the left, Butterflier on the right

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:58 PM by mikenchico » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum