GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 10:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sewing on a zipper. (Not kite related)  (Read 4446 times)
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 19, 2009, 04:04 PM »

I'm trying to sew a zipper onto some fleece and it's not coming out well. Is the key to pin the hell out of it? I'm pathetic and don't have enough pins because I've been too lazy to go get some. I'm planning on going tomorrow.

Mark Reed told me to ease up on the pressure foot pressure so the fleece doesn't totally compressed when sewn. I need to try this too.

Any tips will be appreciated. I'm an overly ambitious novice.

JW
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:19 PM by John Welden » Logged
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 04:19 PM »

can you describe the problem you're having? ie. stitch wavers, the zipper feeds but the fleece doesn't, i don't have a zipper foot for my machine and i'm trying this anyway, etc.

it's not likely i'll be able to help, given my knowledge, but just thought i'd ask the question so when someone with the knowledge shows up they'll have more complete information.

whacha makin'?  Smiley

Fdeli
John Welden

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 04:27 PM »

Good idea, more info.

I don't have a zipper foot but the needle can be adjusted over pretty far.

The problem is a bit hard to describe.  Basically I sew the damn thing up and then the zipper won't lay flat. The whole seem/zipper turns into a wave.

I guess if I pin the crap out of it, it won't be able to move and stretch and do whatever it does.

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 04:39 PM »

and it's the zipper on the bottom, riding the feed dogs correct?

in terms of pin strategy, you could pin as much as you can. sew through 3/4 of what you pinned, stop, move the pins from what you've sewn to the front, continue and repeat until you reach the end.

it does sound a bit like the fleece is sewn on while stretched, so when it contracts again it wrinkles the zipper.

sewing problems are my forte, but in creating them, not solving them. Tongue

success for me -> Lips sealed

Fdeli
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 05:03 PM »

I think there's usually a way to sew the thing up while it's zipped up, rather than open. If you can do that, the alignment and fabric tension (more or less) HAVE to be right when you're done.

But if the fleece is stretched when you sew, it will still shrink and "wave" the zipper when it relaxes. so try to have it relaxed when you sew it.

Norm in Toronto
John Welden

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 06:08 PM »

Yea, I've got the zipper on the feed dogs.

I'll try pinning it really well and see what happens.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 10:00 PM »

No experience with zippers myself either but maybe some of the iron-on interfacing ironed onto the fleece to keep it from stretching while sewing.

I have some sweatshirts where the zipper does that wave thing, whether it's a product of the stretchy fabric or simply too stiff of a zipper I don't know, if it's because the zipper is too stiff the interfacing will just make matters worse. I hate full zip hoody's for just that reason, I'd rather deal with pulling them on & off then with that zipper making me look fat.

Ask at your fabric/sewing store, look for the older lady with the horn-rim glasses, I always kept her in my store, had to fight the DM pretty often about it, but she will know  (she was named Helen in my case)  Wink

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 12:01 PM »

The one zipper I have sewn into fleece had that same problem.
I would recommend easing up a bit on presser foot tension and really pay attention to how you feed the fabric. Fleece is a real pain to get to not stretch. If the fleece is on the bottom, you should be able to keep the two sort of even by holding the fabric back a bit by the zipper. The zipper won't stretch much, and that will ensure that unless you are using a walking foot the fleece won't stretch much.

Or you could just hand sew it Shocked
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 02:20 PM »

John, found this online.  Sounds like you need to add an interface between the fleece and the zipper.

ZIPPERS

To avoid bumpy zippers when sewing fleece garments, stabilize zipper openings as follows: With the wrong side up, apply a 2.5cm (1 inch) strip of fusible interfacing to the edges of the opening before the zipper is stitched. Remember to use low temperature interfacing, as fleece is heat sensitive
wufer

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 02:07 AM »

Not done a zipper but....
I would use double sided tape like this.
http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/194_86/products_id/354?osCsid=29a1d38b40e07b7b43a89d31a02d2b9d

Then i would use a shallow 3 stitch ZZ. About 1/8" ~ 3/16" wide.
3 stitch ZZ, tends not to pucker things up as much.
Might work.

Derek
John Welden

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 05:53 AM »

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

I'll let you know how I do after I try again with some of your suggestions. Maybe if I'm brave I'll post a picture.

I spent most of my time this weekend trying to design a shoulder bag for my wife.  Making custom patterns isn't easy. Cry

Thanks
JW
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 02:15 PM »

Cool to see you making stuff, If it's half as nice as the ring you did it should be sweet.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
John Welden

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 07:21 PM »

Prototype coat for Peanut.  Please ignore rough seam on the side, I hacked it up and resewed it for fitting.  I've made about 15 so far, slowly learning and refining it down.  Thanks for taking a look.  (again, only prototype)

Zippers are getting better.  I'll get the next one to sit flat.

(Disclaimer: I know it's ridiculous to dress your dog up.  I'm not as bad as the people that put their dogs in baby clothes and that sort of BS. My dogs genuinely need coats or they freeze in cold weather. But, go ahead and make fun of me Cheesy)

Prototype without legs.

xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 07:50 PM »

I won't be making fun! We (well, my wife) used to put shirts on our shih-tzu when it was cooler inside. We had to put him down today so no more of that, but he would get cold since we kept him clipped short (puppy cut).

The prototypes you have look fantastic!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 09:49 PM »

That's one stylin' dog, Dawg!

Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography