GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 05:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ichibans are back!  (Read 8800 times)
ainokea
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2009, 07:16 PM »

Bryan: that is the same kite that is the first picture in this thread....Ian was lucky enough to get a one of a kind kite.....the prototype of a kite that has not appeared since then....
maybe he would be good enough to tell the story of it fling backwards again on this forum Wink

When I got the Reprise I took it to the park on a Friday night to try it out. John Chilese (Godfather) was there as usual, and as usual, has his camera. I told him that I got the Reprise, he got all excited and went for his camera. Ken forgot to put the bridle in so I made a two leg bridle and attached it. The wind was light, 3-5 mph and and all I could do was high launches and watch it glide backwards. After a few of those I remembered seeing a picture of a Ichiban flying backwards. This is it, anyone knows who owns it?

I thought, let's see if the Reprise can fly backwards. I told John about this and he said to try it. Well, I turned the kite around and try a few high launches, maybe 30-40 ft. up. It glided pretty good so I tell John I'm going to let out more line. I ended up with about 150ft out and told John to stand the kite up. The tail acts like a canard when flying backwards and when I launched it, the kite went straight up, I mean straight up, almost at a 70 degree angle. When it reached the top, I let the line slack, the kite slid backwards then went nose down, I mean tail down. At that point being so high up I though it was just going to come straight down and crash. I let the line go and just watched. It started to glide down straight at me, literally, straight at me. It was coming down fast, but stable and straight. I didn't have to move, all I did was duck and caught the kite. I was freaking out. John was whooping and hollering and was just as excited as I was. That was very cool to see and do.
This is one of the pictures that John took, this is my favorite. It was taken after the backward flight.

Ian

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 07:22 PM »

And the aforementioned events were one of the times i was lucky enough to be down there. It flew backwards quite nicely!!
ainokea

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 08:06 PM »

That's right Dano, you were there!  Smiley

Ian

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Coughitup
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 02:10 PM »

While I was at work yesterday #33 showed up at my door.  Smiley I am currently marveling at the construction and slowly photgraphing and unrolling the kite. Hopefully I will have enough time to put her together tonight.

Bryan

P.S. I also wanted to thank Ken for all his help.

attachments older than 120 days removed to save space
ainokea

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 02:59 PM »

Yee Haw!  Bust it out, let's see it.  Smiley

Ian

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Coughitup

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 04:19 PM »

I should soon have the pics uploaded. While I was shooting it in the front yard a lady walked by, stopped, took out her earphones and said "That is a really cool kite."  Smiley Made my day.
Bryan
ainokea

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 04:41 PM »

Aahhh, someone who appreciates a work of art.  Smiley

Ian

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Coughitup

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 07:33 AM »

Link to the new pics.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/570890259tSPSaI

Bryan
ainokea

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 09:41 AM »

Very nice, I like it.  Smiley Congrats on a killer kite.  Smiley

Ian

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Coughitup

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 10:29 AM »

Thanks Ian.
SKITCH
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2009, 11:48 AM »

Wow..only 33 so far.  I thought there would have been more!  Great looking kite!

Very dramatic photo stream!!

I want one.... Cry Cry

P

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
Coughitup

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 01:34 PM »

I thought it would be nice to give a little idea of the setup and some different closeups.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2009, 05:55 PM »

You really showed what a great craftsman Ken is. My favorite is #2017. That's an amazing design!

Bob D.
Coughitup

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2009, 07:26 PM »

You really showed what a great craftsman Ken is. My favorite is #2017. That's an amazing design!

Here is 2017. I had a little breeze so she stood up.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:28 PM by Coughitup » Logged
Moe

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2009, 05:31 AM »

It looks absolutely fantastic, but I'm afraid that when I look at it, I can't help but think of the Belgian flag:

Cheesy

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography