GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 08:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UL to recommend  (Read 5252 times)
chrispie
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 07:18 PM »

Hi.. Singapore though surrounded by water, is no where near an ocean. Our beaches here are pathetic with extemely shallow..... beach area.. u have about 30m at most from the very heavy treeline (where there are buildings behind the trees) to the water line.. Cheesy

The humidity here seldom goes below 98%.. and it is actually nearing the monsoon, and we are having northern wind.. i guess its the inland scenario that is not able to fully exploit the situation. And can i also say very rainy with muddy and water logged ground...haha.. u backed off only to find a feet stuck in a pool.

But then... having said that.. there are pilots here, despite these conditions, still do very very wonderful things with their kites... so it boils down to my lack of skill... so.. gotta work harder. Only that..  its tough when u feel the wind blowing directly from behind you.. but you see your lines slacking and curved towards the right...  real fun even to guess where the wind actually comes from!

Yesterday was bad... i was so demoralized and i got so angry.. guess i am too serious about a recreational activity. (what my gf says)

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2009, 05:10 PM »

Chris, I agree with what John said about finding a spot with decent wind to fly but don't give up if that's all that's available. I say this from experience. The wind conditions where I live are poor for dual line trick flying but it's that or nothing.

It takes me much longer to learn new stuff and get my tricks clean but I'm actually OK at it now and all most all my slack line time has been inland light bumpy winds. When I do get some smooth wind or get over to the coast it's like heaven Grin

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
chrispie

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2009, 04:51 PM »

i guess if you can get good at bumpy wind, you can be very good at clean wind. Only.. it takes a big longer, and u must learn patience.

Saw ur signature link on the kites you have.. What a collection!! Envious... Tongue

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
Dolphinboy

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 11:43 AM »

Saw ur signature link on the kites you have.. What a collection!! Envious... Tongue

Thanks but I didn't need all those to learn. I have them because I'm not good at controlling my kite lust Wink

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
DD

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 12:26 PM »

Dolphin, you have a very unique stx 1.8, was it a custom?

Mod's note: really a pet hate of mine. Don't take it personally. Wink
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 12:44 AM by zippy8 » Logged

Sine Metu!
DaveH
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2009, 05:49 PM »

Chris, I agree with what John said about finding a spot with decent wind to fly but don't give up if that's all that's available. I say this from experience. The wind conditions where I live are poor for dual line trick flying but it's that or nothing.

It takes me much longer to learn new stuff and get my tricks clean but I'm actually OK at it now and all most all my slack line time has been inland light bumpy winds. When I do get some smooth wind or get over to the coast it's like heaven Grin

Same for me.  Inland bumpy winds. But its not all bad.  You just have to be opportunistic.  When the wind is right for a certain trick, hit it.  If its momentarily too strong, fly figures.  I fly standards most of the time and wait out the dead moments. 
Dolphinboy

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2009, 08:34 PM »

Dolphin, you have a very unique stx 1.8, was it a custom?

It could be the last STX 1.8 ever made / imported to the US as far as I know. I was looking for some kite parts and called (sorry Steve, it was something you didn't have) another shoppe. Anyway these had long since been sold out and I just thought I'd ask one more time if any more 1.8s were ever found. The answer was "one made it in the last shipment" so I took it without even asking the color.

Maybe they used what ever material was left over when they built it. Or some custom that was never shipped. I don't really know. It actually looks good in the air and it's kind of neat thinking it's the last / one of the last ever. Plus it's a fun little SUL.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
chrispie

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2009, 04:56 AM »

Same for me.  Inland bumpy winds. But its not all bad.  You just have to be opportunistic.  When the wind is right for a certain trick, hit it.  If its momentarily too strong, fly figures.  I fly standards most of the time and wait out the dead moments. 

haha.. yeah.. how often the wind is dead when u are waiting.. and it just blows beautifully when u are either:

1. walkg towards to the kite to recover from a belly down, nose facing you position.
2. Walkg back towards the handle straps after recovering the kite.

I just have the feeling someone up there is having a fun time just teasing us.

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2009, 04:05 PM »

haha.. yeah.. how often the wind is dead when u are waiting.. and it just blows beautifully when u are either:

1. walkg towards to the kite to recover from a belly down, nose facing you position.
2. Walkg back towards the handle straps after recovering the kite.

I just have the feeling someone up there is having a fun time just teasing us.
And I thought it was just me!  lol

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Jason Winter

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 05:43 AM »

Just picking up on the air temp thing and humidity.....

This explains so much for me. I have moved from somewhere (the UK) with reasonable wind and lowish temps and the humidity was not an issue but still I could feel the extra push at dusk as the temp dropped quickly. Now in Australia I have struggled for a year in hot, humid punchy wind. I have been to Singapore and the humidity is unreal, so debilitating, it has to be experienced to fully grasp. Truly like a sauna.

However I'm digressing. I haven't read the whole thread word for word and I haven't flown many of the kites mentioned in it. One that I have tried and had good success with in the heat and humidity of Brisbane is the Temptation UL. And being of APAC origin should help too. It has a sweet balanced feel to it that makes you feel very in control.

Anyway, good luck.

Jason
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography