GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 06:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UL to recommend  (Read 6181 times)
benjai
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 10:53 AM »

This is true, but breathing in a vacuum becomes an issue.
Trust me - if you were exposed to a vacuum, breathing would be the least of your worries...
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 11:16 AM »

To get back on topic....Smiley  I would put a second up for the Widow Maker UL.  This has become my go-to kite for light winds.  It takes a min of 1mph to fly with a little work but can be done.  It tricks very nicely in 2 with very little work.  It can do everything the standard can do although as mentioned, it is a little different to fly and takes a tweak of timing to get it right.  Not hard to figure out but it is ever so slightly different. Smiley 

The only other I would recommend would be the Shadow - although it is listed as an SUL, not a UL as you requested.  The Shadow is a great kite but isn't near as trickable as the WM UL.

Hope that helps.

(This opinion is worth every penny you paid for it.)

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 11:21 AM »

ul-sano ssl
sul-sano ssz

now if we can just get an axiom ul Cry
Good luck getting one of those ! I haven't seen either for sale in a long time.

Sure would like to try either, though.

I have a std sano ss, ssl, and ssz!  Cool I keep bugging Paul for the prototype axiom but with no luck

More on topic, i would say shadow-a good ul for the money, exile ul-cause its a blue moon Cheesy, or if you can find a stx 1.8
I heard that the breeze is coming back- a nice floater but i dislike the bridle
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:26 AM by DD » Logged

Sine Metu!
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 11:50 AM »

Off Topic:

Back on:
Look, you guys can recommend your fav ULs all day long but until we find out why he's breaking his current one it's not going to help. I doubt the Airwave is such a POS that it folds up in a 10mph gust. Maybe, but I doubt it.

The sturdier the UL the more wind (usually) it takes to keep it flying.
The pitchier / trickier ULs generally take a bit more wind and can be more difficult for beginners to keep in the air.

Quote from OP:
"I am now looking for another UL that has a higher wind range catering to those freak gusts, but able to fly easily in very very very little wind."

This my friends is the problem. That requirement of a higher wind range and very very very little wind don't go hand in hand.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 12:22 PM »

if you were exposed to a vacuum, breathing would be the least of your worries...

Is this what you mean by exposed to a vacuum ?

Yeah.... other problems.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 01:04 PM »

There's a definite trade-off for mass versus durability and wind speed.

From experience, the Nirvana WW (SUL) will snap a LE if you whack it. They use 2 PTs and they don't like being whacked. It will fly in just about nothing but it's harder to trick because they have so little mass.

The Nirvana UL is nicer because it uses 3 PTs but needs a little more wind. I really like it better because it can do more than the WW. It may not go as low as the WW but it's sturdier and more trickable.

I like the Exile std because it will fly lower than a lot of other standards. I don't know about the Exile UL though.

I flew a Sano once and liked it but I felt like I had to be more careful because it had a lighter frame. (I hate breaking sticks.)

If the wind is that low, I think I'd rather fly my Blue Moon 61/49 just for something different.

Bob D.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 01:15 PM »

Our Sano SSZ will easily handle gusts to ten, probably slighty higher,  although I wouldn't have wrist straps on just in case I had to let go.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 01:39 PM »

Dolphin has summed it up pretty well.  Unfortunately there isn't one kite that will fly and do all the tricks in zero or light wind while still being able to handle 10 mph and do the same... if there was such a kite then we would all have it! Smiley

With me, I do like the WM UL thus I am somewhat bias towards it - but even though it is an awesome light wind kite (1-8 mph), if the winds are going to be somewhat 4-5mph + I will opt for the standard instead every time!!!

If you are flying with constant wind changes and gusts up to 10 mph then maybe a good sturdy standard would be better - you will just have to sit it down until the wind picks back up again instead of putting it down when the wind is stronger for fear of breaking it.

Not sure what trade off would be better - only the original pilot would be able to make that call but one kite to do all?...well, let us know if you find it. Smiley Smiley Smiley

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 03:35 PM »

Is this what you mean by exposed to a vacuum ?

Yeah.... other problems.

Mike.

Huh   I don't even want to know the story behind that.   Huh

Always a funny subject this "What's the best SUL that'll do all the tricks & fly in 1 - 20 mph winds". Go check out the Blue Moon forum, it's on everybodies wish list with the hope that Ken can pull it off.

JW put it best awhile back, learn to fly your standard down to 2-3 reliably then get a UL, you'll be able to fly it to 1 mph easily and appreciate it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chrispie

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 04:27 PM »

i really appreciate all the inputs here.. maybe let me elaborate more.

At the field i usually fly in, the times when i will bring out the Airwave is when its probably about 1-2mph, where all u get is leave rustling. Any fallen leave wont even tumble... and that is when i can have a great time flying the AW.... and more often than not, such wind is present around 80% of the time.

Then 20% of the time, the wind suddenly picks up into the high single digit wind range and i practically gotta run forward to save the kite. I can see the leading edge bending significantly when it happens. The times when I broke the spreader was when the strong wind comes while i was making an input.. another time it was my folly, trying to do an half axel. The Spreader snapped during the pop.

I am posting here hoping to see a consensus of any kite that appears the most.. maybe I can check that out.. So far, it seems that WM UL is the one.. problem is I have the WM std coming in... and smhow like a kid who wants everything.. prefers variety in his kite bag.

Actually I am also looking at the Talon UL. 2-12mph.. anyone tried this?

1-10mph range is good if it even exist? :p Still very green in trick kiting.. thanks for the patience!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:28 PM by chrispie » Logged

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 09:09 AM »

Chrispie,

Manufacturers are often very optimistic when describing the wind ranges of their kites. That being said, the more you fly in low wind, the better you get at it and the more realistic the wind ranges will become. Bumpy / shifty light winds are much harder to fly in than smooth wind and it tends to take more wind in those conditions.

When people recommend kites to you, keep in mind their location, skills, expectations & what qualities they like in a kite may be very different than your own.

As far as flying in the conditions you describe, very low with sudden hard gust, that's tough, no matter what you fly.

On your Airwave when you give an input and break a spreader, you are hitting it too hard for the situation. If you get a new UL and hit it hard in the same situation, it'll probably break too. So easy does it for UL tricking. If the wind gets strong, get out of the center of the window. If it stays higher, switch to a different kite.

Fly your Widow Maker when you get it and keep in mind it has a great low wind range for a standard and handles changing inland winds very well too.

There are a lot of super capable UL kites out there but working on your UL skills will have a bigger impact than buying the current most popular kite.

I have several kites that will fly in the 1-10mph wind range you are asking about. But I don't fly my SUL / ULs in the higher end winds. I just don't like the lack of mass of an UL in higher wind even if strength wise it can handle it.

Peace

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 03:07 PM »

Hi Chris

Your satisfaction with an Ultralight will depend on the type of flying you want to do, and this can end up being REALLY specific.  Decide exactly what you want a kite to be capable of then ask more questions.

Personally, I love tricking.  And when I'm tricking I love rollups.  An Ultralight that performs easy 1 pop rollups is difficult to find.  However, they do exist (DS UL, Talon UL, Temptation UL to name a few).

I've owned and flown a lot of ULs in the past couple of years, and most of them have been sold on. None of them have been bad kites, but most of them didn't suit my preferred flying style.  Here's a few quick thoughts on some of them

ProDancer SUL - still have it.  Strong pull in the lightest of winds.  Great for old school flying when nothing else will fly.  Definitely flies in the LIGHTEST winds! Not a tricky kite. 2PT frame (delicate)

Shadow - sold it.  Almost perfect.  Strong pull on the lines in the lightest of winds (not quite as low as the PD SUL).  Very trickable, but not easy to roll up.

Mantis UL - sold it.  Good firm pull on the lines.  Good precision. Trickable.  Difficult to roll up.

Widowmaker UL - sold it.  Very nice light wind kite, but didn't fly like my standard Widowmaker (which I love)

Talon UL - borrowed this one, didn't want to give it back.  I like this more than a Talon Std.  Needs a bit of work in the very lightest winds, but GREAT tricking kite.  Rolls up as easy as a STD.

Quantum Pro SUL - borrowed this one, happy to hand it back.  I'd call this a UL, not a SUL.  Competent kite, but you have to like Quantum Pros (I don't)

Acrobatx UL - Not really a UL, more of a Light.  Inexpensive.

Soul UL - still have this one.  Flies in much lighter winds than the standard, lots of tricks.  Not quite as good as the Talon.  I'm keeping it (for a while, anyway)

Temptation UL - I'm biased (I make these, love them Grin)

Double Zero - sold it.  Great zero wind indoor kite, note really suited to outdoor low wind trick flying

Fearless SUL - just arrived.  The jury is out on this one, I'm waiting for a light wind day.

Best of luck with your search

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
chrispie

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 07:46 PM »

Really appreciate all the valuable advise here.   Wink

YOu guys are right.. i should brush up on my skill before getting another kite (but i still do believe a good kite can help u build success upon success). When the WM comes next week.. I sure hope my skills can catch up with the kite soon  Roll Eyes

The wind condition here is not helping really.. was out at the beach today. The beach here is just a 30m stretch between heavy tree line and the coast line.. dead zone just at the canopy area (where the kite is flying  Sad),though u can feel breeze at the shade area. Other than practising flapjacks.. nothing much i can do...

And the other field is inland... wind tend to bounce off nearby buildings and it gets shifty like crazy. Once in a while u do get consistent wind.. but as of now, it is rare. Saw many vidz posted.. BIIIGGGG open fields or beaches.. i'm so envious. Tongue

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 08:07 PM »

Pull the upper spreader and take the wieght off that new Widowmaker in light winds. You'll hardly notice the difference since the Nitro's are so stiff and it'll go WAY down. I've flown mine alongside Steve and his Tricktail UL's, granted I have to work harder but I can be in the air when those kites are out.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
John Welden

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 04:25 PM »

Chrispie,

It is critical that you find a place to fly where the wind is decent. Travel if you have to, it's worth it.  If you're in Singapore, it can't be very far to an ocean beach? From what you've said, it doesn't sound like you've got a good place to fly.

It's much harder to fly in light winds when they are turbulent.  In my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes new kite flyers make is not finding a proper place to fly. Find some smooth wind and you will be amazed at how much you can do with your kite. You will be a hero.

Another thing to keep in mind is that hot and humid air is a lot harder to fly in when the winds are light. I promise you, this makes a huge difference even though it seems minor. I imagine the air in Singapore isn't exactly optimal for light wind kite flying. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum