GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 09:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WM--Fade  (Read 1892 times)
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 19, 2009, 08:43 PM »

OK I'm probably opening my self wide open on a couple of short videos combined in to one, Wind was very bumpy and not easy to hold the fade.
Do take note: I'm still a rookie at this sport and working to improve.

Widow Maker VM

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 08:47 PM »

dude! around the 30 second mark. that thing was LOCKED in a fade.
Awesome.
Keep working! nice job!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 10:13 PM »

Hey you saved it a couple times from a nose down, that's a  bit tricky. I don't do well off the ground either, at least in out inland winds.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:32 PM »

sweet  Smiley

Fdeli
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 11:01 PM »

Holding a fade is like holding a hover on with a Quad. If you start thinking about what you're doing, it's gone. All instinct and muscle memory.

I remember back when I started I would admire a real nice rising fade done by some experienced flyer and think "they make it look easy". At some point I realized that experience lead them to go for the flashy fade only in favorable conditions and with a fade friendly kite.  Smiley

Keep up the good work!

(I just realized I haven't flown since Halloween in Roseville!)

Allen, AKA kitehead
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 09:01 AM »

great job! what allen said + the same  goes for me with the side slide. if i think about it it becomes rough yours is definatly working thanx KO

have fun kurt
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 10:18 AM »

John, I think your being a little hard on yourself. Both the fade and the side slide looked pretty good to me.
Geo.

Say Good Night Dick
Jimmer

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 10:29 AM »

Looking really good King! Thanks for the video.
I just got a WM UL and started nailing the Fades.  Now I can do them on most of my kites.  Grin
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 11:56 AM by Jimmer » Logged
RobB

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 03:32 PM »

Hey KJ...
Fades look really good. Certainly one of the tricks that demand the most of your kite control. I'll bet your side slides are looking pretty good, too. I like to mix a flic flac in inbetween long fades, it's a good way to scrub of some height if your fade rises too high. I've been concentrating lately on things like keeping a fade or doing a longer slide because other tricks have been eluding me.
Nice work, and keep posting videos. We need more videos for the long winter months !
~Rob.

King-J

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 04:01 PM »

I would like to thank all of for all the kind words, in the past couple of months I have improved my skills. I have been trying to get the wife to do a little video of my half axels, George (moegeo) last month in Manteca realy help me on getting the hang on how to due them, now to smooth them out and work on a smooth cascade Smiley

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 11:26 AM »

The fade launch is one of the harder ones to get nailed - but once you figure it out it comes very easy. Smiley  One of the problems I had with the fade launch was that I was nailing the kite off of the ground with a very firm pop.  I later found out that the fade launch is a very SLOW and controlled "sweep" of the arms backwards and then forwards for slack so that the kite "Swoops" up into the fade.  When done controlled (like in this excellent video) the nose rotates around easy and you can catch it with your hands.

The most important thing for the fade is that you MUST move your feet!  When the kite is in the fade it takes much more wind to hold it there than normal flying - I find I almost always have to back up to keep the kite locked into the fade.  Gusty winds can be even more difficult to hold.

Anyways, very nicely done and your custom WM looks great!!! Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum