GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 05:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laptop Size  (Read 4152 times)
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:43 PM »

Is a 15.4 inch laptop to big to be really portable or travel ready?
Rx
melnsct
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:58 PM »

I have a 10 inch asus eee and I love the portability....I will never have another big laptop.

Melanie in Tennessee
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:38 PM »

All three of ours are 15.4" and carried daily. Rhonda has to carry two of them when she travels for work, they go as carry on along with her purse. She's only 4' 11" and can handle them fine running from one gate to another. I have been looking at the 10" models though, it would be nice to go smaller for my job where I only use it for 30 minutes a day.

What do you intend to do with it and how are your eyes? I can see the 10" screen being a little small for hours of work or graphics work. Also the keyboards are smaller, will you get used to that easily and be able to transition between it and a full size keyboard easily if you also have a desktop you use regularly?

Since I don't use the desktops much anymore my dream system would consist of a 17" or larger desktop replacement laptop and one of the 10" super portables, then a dock setup with a second monitor, full keyboard, trackball and graphics tablet. But I'll still need one desktop to answer the phones, hold the backup drive arrays and run the printer and scanner.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:49 PM »

Over the last couple of years I've gone from a really beefy Dell Latitude 15", to a Latitude 14" and now to an Apple 15". The big Dell was a hassle to travel with, mainly too big to use on airplanes. The 14" Dell was really nice for travel and I didn't miss the bigger screen much. When I got the MacBook Pro It was a month or more before I realized it was the same size screen as the big Dell. It's thinner and generally more ergonomic, so it's pretty easy to handle. I run Vista on it. Best laptop I've ever used.

If I was on airplanes a lot I'd probably want a smaller book, but the next size down Apple is too small at around 13"

I use my iPhone for the quick email and web stuff, so I don't have to haul out the big gun as often. Nice.

Allen, AKA kitehead
John Welden

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 08:23 PM »

Whatever size you end up with, make sure its light if you are traveling with it.

I don't think there is any question that Apple makes the best laptops.  The new unibody macbooks are amazing.  I'll happily pay extra for one.
canon

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 09:15 PM »

I think the 15 inch screen is ideal.  Not to big for travel, but the screen is big enough to get some work done.  My work laptop has a 13 inch screen and there is not enough real estate to navigate the spreadsheets I use.  My personal laptop is an MacBook Pro 15.4 and I have plenty of real estate on the screen and the machine does not weigh a ton (relatively speaking).
kitesyoyos

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 05:49 AM »

Good day.
I find my 15.4 inch is a good size to travel with and there are many good back packs or messenger bags out there...(Although my new ASUS is not that light or thin! Maybe if I was traveliing by public transport I may think differently.)
I enjoy viewing videos and now TV on the larger screen..I have an older 13 inch screen which I find hard to use now...If I was just going to check emails, download photos and surf the web occasionally I'd probably get one of the new smaller 10 inch screen models. Its is a shame these new small models do not have a DVD slot....( know that you can download videos etc onto USB but I spend enough time on the computer as it is!) Then my 4 year old could watch DVDs on it (especially when travelling in the car) and I could use it when necessary.
Hope this may help,
Cheers,
Martin  Australia
rxburner
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 09:21 AM »

decided to go with the 14.1 inch.  Seemed like a good compromise....
Rx
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 01:09 PM »

decided to go with the 14.1 inch.  Seemed like a good compromise....
Rx

You won't notice a big difference between that and a 15.4", still pretty easy on your eyes, especially if it's a good screen with good anti-glare properties.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:14 AM »

i use my OLPC XO laptop for travel.....
it runs linux and has solid state memory and runs a bit slower than a normal laptop but i love it....small and easy to use for traveling....
at a camping trip this past summer i pulled it out in the campsite hoping it would jump on a signal...sure enough it did-to the campground managers house about 800' away...was able to watch the radar views of the massive thunderstorm about to slam us......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
wicastawakan

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 06:01 AM »

I went from the 14.1 to 15.4.  It isn't any more hassle to to take & I like the add'l real estate.  The mini's are great for some things also.  I have a PC, but the laptop basically replaces it. 
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 08:30 AM »

Been traveling with 15.4 for years, I sometimes need to carry 2 and once had 3 all in the same case. other than the weight of the 3 they traveled fine. If it is a long flight and I plan on using it most of the time I'll take along a airline power device and save my battery for the airport, that way I don't have to huddle around the wall jack w/all the others. My son has a 13" Macbook and has traveled across the pond 3x with no problems, now I wish I could say the same for his cameras. I currently am repairing (replacing motherboards) on 2 Mac laptops, the only difference between them and PC's is on the Mac's the processors are soldered to the board, so replacements cost about $200 more each.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 04:34 PM »

Just found a deal for a 14.1" laptop on newegg

Acer Extensa EX4630-4922 NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T3400(2.16GHz) 14.1" Wide XGA 2GB Memory DDR2 667 160GB HDD DVD Super Multi Intel GMA 4500M - $399.99 + free shipping

These deals tend to sell out quickly

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography